Is NR still a broken deck?

+
Is NR still a broken deck?

I quite this game in December due to the horrible balancing issues. Just came by the forms to ask if they've fixed NR yet? It became so un-enjoyable to play due to all the nerfs while buffing the other decks. It felt like there was only one strategy worth playing while the other decks had more options available.

In fact its the worst deck atm, together with ST. They nerfed even more NR and buffed the other factions (expect ST) in the patches after december. Skellige and Monsters are insanely OP atm. In fact, I wouldn't come back now. I'm atm taking a break until they fix it.

Monsters have only 1 viable option. Skellige only has 1 viable option. NG only has 1 viable option. ST is the only faction that has 2 almost 3 viable archetypes (I've faced Neophytes a few times at rank 15). Note this is top of the leaderboard viability (1-1000). Anywhere below rank 9, anything is about Viable.

I've said this before in another thread, yes, NR is technically the weakest out of the 4, but if your reason for not playing is because NR is "worthless" youre providing yourself a very convenient excuse that is simply flawed. NR with Radovid can very readily reach rank 15, top 1% consistently. Sure, you probably won't make it number 1, but I've played against multiple Radovids in the top 200s.

If you want to actually improve on the faction you love, stop giving yourself cop-out excuses to not try. This is the one patch where there's actual variety at the top of the ladder.

Last edited:
drzappleswag;n7968700 said:
Monsters have only 1 viable option. Skellige only has 1 viable option. NG only has 1 viable option. ST is the only faction has 2-3. Note this is top of the leaderboard viability (1-1000). Anywhere below rank 9, anything is about Viable.

I've said this before in another thread, yes, NR is technically the weakest out of the 4, but if your reason for not playing is because NR is "worthless" youre providing yourself a very convenient excuse that is simply flawed. NR with Radovid can very readily reach rank 15, top 1% consistently. Sure, you probably won't make it number 1, but I've played against multiple Radovids in the top 200s.

If you want to actually improve on the faction you love, stop giving yourself cop-out excuses to not try. This is the one patch where there's actual variety at the top of the ladder.

There is a difference between climbing with Radovid to top levels and climbing with other faction and playing Radovid later.

NR is a pain to climb, especially because of what it faces at rank 12-14, 60% of the games are against Monster weather and Skellige discard.

wwgog;n7968670 said:
In fact its the worst deck atm, together with ST. They nerfed even more NR and buffed the other factions (expect ST) in the patches after december. Skellige and Monsters are insanely OP atm. In fact, I wouldn't come back now. I'm atm taking a break until they fix it.

Wait ST is one of the worst decks? @@ How come I keep seeing them at higher MMR in ranked matches (4100). By far the most common faction lol! Usually it is the dwarves or dragoon archetype.

wwgog;n7968670 said:

Yikes hopefully they sort it out for the actual release.

thesums7;n7970040 said:
Wait ST is one of the worst decks? @@ How come I keep seeing them at higher MMR in ranked matches (4100). By far the most common faction lol! Usually it is the dwarves or dragoon archetype.

ST still have a viable deck, and this is also a skill game.

And as I said, the ladder haven't seen a reset yet, so its hard to say if the decks in the top of ladder would climb as easy as they stay in the top. Also its unot unusual for people to go down in the ladder using a deck then get back the mmr they lost with another.

There is way less diversity in the top. I've been around ~4200 a lot of times but soon as I face a losing streak and go down in like ~600 mmr I start to see a lot more unpredictable decks.

i don't understand people who stick with only 1 faction and if it's not working out for them they simply quit, what exactly is wrong with you? at least you can try the other factions until devs do something about specially when we are in CBT CLOSED BETA TESTING, TESTING. what you are doing is giving a middle finger to all who let you come and experience this game and since you don't try any other faction you aren't so much help to their database, first group of toxic people i see around any CDPR game. guys quit and never come back. this game doesn't need you it doesn't need whiny little kids.

gamingdevil800;n7968540 said:
I quite this game in December due to the horrible balancing issues. Just came by the forms to ask if they've fixed NR yet? It became so un-enjoyable to play due to all the nerfs while buffing the other decks. It felt like there was only one strategy worth playing while the other decks had more options available.

That's really odd considering Northern Realms alongside Scoia'tael was the faction with the highest win rates during December and January.

Also considering the faction percentage win rates are for the Nilfgaard update until now all within 3% of each other it seems odd to deem this "horrible balancing".

In my opinion, certain balance issues really exist in the game in its current state. And the discussion threads here or on reddit are full of overhyped people being very happy that "each faction has at least one viable competitive deck". You can consider following my personal feedback.
The ladder on 3500+ consists mainly of three decks - skellige discard, consume monsters and dwarfs. Also I consider these decks and factions strongest at the moment - both in my personal experience of gameplay, and in streams of the top ranked players. NR are seen very rarely, most often in form of Radovid which is not that good now vs all this meta stuff. Nilfgaard has terrible matchups both against Skellige and consume monsters, so it is really hard to climb ladder with it even if you play perfectly. Also, the only faction which seems to have something close to 2 playable competitive decks, is ST. Both row stacking dwarfs and control deck with Ciaran can be good.
Is it design feature that every faction besides ST has one Hero/deck that is much better than the others?
Also, it would be great if devs focused on analyzing high mmr winrates(for example 3500+), because on this mmr players have most of the cards they need to build the deck they want to play, and also use their cards/decks at maximum (or near maximum) potential.

Rethas;n7992730 said:
That's really odd considering Northern Realms alongside Scoia'tael was the faction with the highest win rates during December and January.

Also considering the faction percentage win rates are for the Nilfgaard update until now all within 3% of each other it seems odd to deem this "horrible balancing".

Please buff the ST...really bad now~~I like elf.....

Its still broken.. but the other way around. No one plays it anymore, even radovid.

In the last 15 days i've made 177 casual matches (lvl46) and i've only been matched with NR for 20 times. Thats 11%.

I have seen a new deck that uses Henselt and Pavetta + Shani... Pretty scary stuff.

Rethas;n7992730 said:

doesn't matchmaking negate this statistic? Won't matchmaking get people to a roughly 50% win rate regardless of what race they play and how weak it is?

Rethas;n7992730 said:

Not to go off topic here but don't your stats include ALL matches, regardless of rank and/or level?

Atavax;n7994600 said:
doesn't matchmaking negate this statistic? Won't matchmaking get people to a roughly 50% win rate regardless of what race they play and how weak it is?

Not necessarily.:
Matchmaking is for individual players, not decks. In fact, it's probably completely orhtogonal/uncorrelated.

wwgog;n7976000 said:
ST still have a viable deck, and this is also a skill game.

And as I said, the ladder haven't seen a reset yet, so its hard to say if the decks in the top of ladder would climb as easy as they stay in the top. Also its unot unusual for people to go down in the ladder using a deck then get back the mmr they lost with another.

There is way less diversity in the top. I've been around ~4200 a lot of times but soon as I face a losing streak and go down in like ~600 mmr I start to see a lot more unpredictable decks.

Maybe the Dwarf craze has gone down a little, with the monster swarming the ladder QQ.

Rethas;n7992730 said:

For the NR part, I believe the OP meant actual NR faction strategy. Most of the win rate from NR are from Radovid control which is not really a "faction" type strategy. Even Merchant posted a youtube video (forgot which one) where he stated that the faction strategy for NR is underpowered and needs a change. Also, he stated that NR Radovid control is more of a "neutral" type strategy since it doesn't rely on faction buff (promote, reinforcement, medic, etc.) and just spam on high powered cards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom