Join our studio today!

+
digby69 said:
Its the same the world over in all industry, "they only wont people with experience" and to get experience you need a job. But don't get too down as others say if you have good qualification and knowledge then you will get a job.

The companies who do it right (and I've worked for some that do, and more that don't) are the ones who know how to recruit the right combination of great potential and proven talent. It's neither all one nor all the other.

You shouldn't get discouraged because it looks like the best jobs are reserved for the applicants with experience. It is always so. You need people who already know what they are doing, can produce on their first day on the job, and can mentor others to become better than these veterans already are. And these people get the positions where it is crucial that they be able to do these things.

The number of entry-level positions in CDPR's announcement, though, is strikingly large, and it looks to me like they have extended quite an opportunity to a number of developers with no experience but great potential.

Although my major thoughts are the same than Megakoresh and digby69, I think both Dona and Guy N'wah are right: it is worth a try. And if your applying get dismissed, nothing lost nothing gained. This is how I see it.

But unfortunatly, my experience tells that most of the time is like digby69 said. Some companies suffer "xenophobia" *sigh*

Back on topic, it is great news CDP is working on a new project. I just hope it is *NOT* a space shooter/RPG hybrid.

Megakoresh said:
You know, I have read those requirements and while the technical exprtese, though tough to achieve on that level, is quite understandable, I was quite confused with how many insane requirements they have on previous experience with completed projects.

I am not yet an developer, in fact I am just applying to college hoping to become one.
I have done a lot of research for prospecting jobs, and it seriously is quite ridiculous how much emphasis companies put on previous experience in the industry. There really aren't all that many who worked in a studio on a quality title, then for some reason quit and now looking for a job. Even less of those who are willing to travel half the world for this, no matter how awesome your colleges will be and how good the game you will be developing will be.

Like, really, when I finish college. Say, I will have knowledge of C# and .NET application development, Photoshop, Product Design, Marketing, PR have some modding experience, commitment, etc. and still won't be able to find a job since everyone needs people to work on a complete project for "at least 2 years". Not just CDP, I am talking in general, same stuff everywhere.

I didn't come up with this idea myself, but the key maybe be, not so much in creating your own videogame from the ground up, but making a prototype. That way you can focus on whichever area you prefer and can showcase talents without a finished product. This would take you months, so that experience goes into the cv nonetheless.

Has it been disclosed what this RPG in a dark fantasy World will be ? Because in the Quest designer under the Required skills & experience there’s :

- Extensive knowledge of Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels will be a strong plus

Possibly a hint that it may take place in the witcher world .

Aver

Forum veteran
KapitanPadzierz said:
Has it been disclosed what this RPG in a dark fantasy World will be ? Because in the Quest designer under the Required skills & experience there’s :

- Extensive knowledge of Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels will be a strong plus

Possibly a hint that it may take place in the witcher world .

Witcher 3

Since we're all talking about what each of us could do for CD Projekt, I sometimes imagine I have access to the source code of TW2 and design some kind of optimized approach to Ubersampling using parallel processing :p

I think it could be fun doing some collaboration, sometime, and apply some scientific computing to game engine/backend design, as well as designing parallel artificial intelligence routines (path finding, feature detection, decision making, classification, etc...)

I actually think of applying as a character artist, not now but probably later. But before I do so it would be nice if someone from CDPR could answer the following question:

In the requirements it is explicitly stated that you need "Strong Zbrush skills". Now, my problem is that I'm used to work with Autodesk Mudbox and therefore never touched Zbrush. How will this be handled in case I make an application? Will my experience with Mudbox only be counted as "scultping skills" while I don't meet the Zbrush requirement? Or are you using Mudbox as well and therefore the choice of my scultping programm is only of secondary importance?

I look forward to your answer.

BGSMERP said:
I actually think of applying as a character artist, not now but probably later. But before I do so it would be nice if someone from CDPR could answer the following question:

In the requirements it is explicitly stated that you need "Strong Zbrush skills". Now, my problem is that I'm used to work with Autodesk Mudbox and therefore never touched Zbrush. How will this be handled in case I make an application? Will my experience with Mudbox only be counted as "scultping skills" while I don't meet the Zbrush requirement? Or are you using Mudbox as well and therefore the choice of my scultping programm is only of secondary importance?

I look forward to your answer.

I don't speak for CDPR, but I have to evaluate candidates for my boss, including when a particular skill is stated in the job requirements.

Contrary to what some have suggested, companies do not state that a particular skill is required unless it is in fact required for the work you are to do in the position. They know that that kind of requirement padding will cost them because well-qualified candidates will not apply.

What you should be able to discern from a statement that "strong Zbrush skills" are a requirement is that the employer already uses Zbrush (and either does not use, or does not emphasize, a competing program like Mudbox). You would be expected to work in Zbrush, and you should not expect to come in and persuade them to switch to Mudbox because you know it better. They already have good institutional and technical reasons why they must use Zbrush and cannot use Mudbox, and you should be prepared to respect those.

What the requirements do not say, and CDPR would be unlikely to discuss on a public forum, is whether they have a pressing need for, say, an artist in Zbrush who is expected to come in and produce usable work on the first day or mentor others in the effective use of Zbrush, or whether they are willing to slacken the requirement in order to acquire an exceptional artist who could learn to use Zbrush quickly enough.

Since nothing ventured is nothing gained, you should take confidence in your skills and your demonstrated work, put in your application with an emphasis on the quality of work you did in Mudbox, refrain from arguing the merits of one over the other or exaggerating your experience with Zbrush, and maintain the hope that the quality of your work will shine through and persuade them that they should hire you, an exceptional artist, over just any Zbrush jockey.

In short, don't sweat the requirement. Just do it.

hmmm, new IP, vast RPG? Sounds pretty good. Although, I don't really want a sci-fi shooter so recently after Mass Effect, it wouldn't seem right. Although besides fantasy and sci-fi, what else would there really be?

Of course there could be fantasy without elves, dwarves, and stuff right? Like Game of Thrones ;)

Man, things like this make me wish I had, like, any programming experience. Quest designer sounds pretty awesome... although they all do if it means working with CDProjekt.
Admittedly moving to Poland when you don't know Polish sounds like a lot of trouble, but hey, that's adventure.

Would CD Projekt have internship opportunities(for 3D artists for example)?
I bet you can learn very much from their artists.

Zi0 said:
Would CD Projekt have internship opportunities(for 3D artists for example)?
I bet you can learn very much from their artists.
Would be awesome and I'd sign in instantly. Blizzard and EA have, but they commonly search for young people (not old haggies like me). Eveb if I have some basic of 3DS Max, just I should undust those knowledges.

Top Bottom