Kickstarter

+
CD Projekt is a listed company on the Warsaw Stock Exchange, has its own distribution and publishing company, has been around for a long time, and is adequately funded. No, they don't do/need kickstarter.

Dont want to sound cocky, well yeah I do actually...Listen dude its pure ignorance from you to even ask I guess. 10 yrs old would know that... :D

Nothing wrong with Kickstarter. They could kickstart a fully-featured editor included with the game, the CP2077 tabletop miniatures game, updated PnP rules, a line of CP2077 clothing..whatever.

It's another revenue source. Business-wise, that's rarely a bad thing.

CDPR is actually pretty young, the development studio. They still have looooots of room for errors, serious company direction change, hostile takeover, reinventing themselves, all that good corporate stuff.

I wouldn't poo-poo KS too much - Pondsmith seems to quite like it, for example. As do I.

Nothing wrong with Kickstarter. They could kickstart a fully-featured editor included with the game, the CP2077 tabletop miniatures game, updated PnP rules, a line of CP2077 clothing..whatever.
That is where I stopped reading and started looking for a mop for my drool...

It's another revenue source. Business-wise, that's rarely a bad thing.

CDPR is actually pretty young, the development studio. They still have looooots of room for errors, serious company direction change, hostile takeover, reinventing themselves, all that good corporate stuff.

I wouldn't poo-poo KS too much - Pondsmith seems to quite like it, for example. As do I.

I've nothing against kickstarter, but there are a lot of reasons why it isn't a good way for a public company to raise finances. There's explanations over at the Witcher forums from when the topic was raised there, and as it's never fun to talk about tax regulations, I'm just going to point you to that thread:
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34640-suggestion-to-cdpr-use-crowdfunding-to-expand-redengine-tw3-supported-platforms/

I glanced at it, saw that according to Guy n Wah VAT would eat 42% of your crowdfunding, blinked at the 42% figure, laughed to myself that a half-decent corporate accountant couldn't find a way to deal with it, (it would depend on how Polish coorporate tax regulations treat crowdfunding, for example) and also thought that paying taxes for a large, or even small, scale corporate entity is rarely simple.

I -can- tell you that here in Canada, as a corporate entity, I'm in a much more "mobile" tax position and that I'm certainly not required to pay taxes on something like KS until said taxes are due. Having a few million infused into my company in terms of advance sales to build a product would be -quite- handy. And I only pay 14% corporate tax on that anyway - if I end up paying anything at all. If I use that money to hire people and secure resources, those are write-offs. If the KS is funding something I couldn't afford to do, then it's a good idea.

Guessing what directors or shareholders will think about it also varies, from how it's presented to how well it does.
Shareholders like things that increase a company's value - if a KS project will do that, or stands a good chance of doing that, they might well be supportive.

Top Bottom