Lets talk about CDProjekt Red

+
Lets talk about CDProjekt Red

Okay folks, since I'm from the UK, this is the first time I've really heard of CDProjekt, which after some digging, are well known in Eastern Europe for game translations and releases.Since Witcher is such a success, people are going to be looking at what's coming out next from the dev team (specifically being released across Western Europe, since my Polish is not that great), but I cannot find any details on 'new' games under development...can anyone help out here...Thanks

yup, first time ive ever heard of them too, thanks to The Witcher, would love to know what games they have in progress *scoots off to google*

I dont know if they have any other ongoing project so far... I am not sure if they even started to work on an add-on or sequel to The Witcher.They did a lot of translations and game conversions, but TW is their first original project. They put a lot of their resources on that, so I doubt if they are able to do anything on that scale in the same time.Thus, I encourage everyone to buy this game, not steal a pirate copy, because it was really great effort and risk to make this game. 5,000,000 euros budget isnt impressive according to US/Western Europe standards, but in Poland it is very hard to convince banks they lent you such a sum of money, even if you have great idea and superb business plan.If gamer community will support the developer, we might hope there'll be new projects from them. Good luck!

yes, Cassian, your right, i found this blurb on their website so it looks like its one game at a timeCD Projekt Red Studio was established in February 2002, and since September 2003 the team has been working on its first project. The vision of CD Projekt Red Studio is to create role playing games that millions of players would love. That means producing computer games with great playability that would also have a great commercial potential. CD Projekt Red Studio benefits from the experience and financial support from publishing part of CD Projekt well known as the best RPG publisher in Poland (all major RPGs were published in Poland by CD Projekt). Currently (1st March 2004) the CD Projekt Red Studio team consists of 15 professionals working hard to create their first game.The first assumption of CD Projekt Red Studio is to focus on only one product at a time, so that it would result in a great game, which would gain popularity all over the world. The first project is an action role playing game entitled "The Witcher" based on a setting known from the novels of the best-selling Polish fantasy author - Andrzej Sapkowski. Still, the knowledge of the novels is not needed to enjoy the gameplay, but it could be additional benefit for the gamers from the countries where the books were published, such us Poland, Germany, Russia, France, Spain, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Hungary and Lithuania.The vision of the game can be shortly summarized in one sentence: "An action-oriented, visually stunning, easy to use, single player RPG, with a deep and intriguing storyline."

I wonder how the game sells all over the world...In Poland it is an absolute bestseller, reaching 35,000 copies sold in the first 3 days after release. This means they earned till now at least 700,000 e$ in Poland only. How it looks in comparison to their costs? I hope good... I will keep my fingers crossed for them ! Good luck, CDP !

About sales, look to the right "top seller games PC"http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=vg_nav_hp_win/104-9307953-7416725?ie=UTF8&node=229575&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=0PV8ZM3KF04C87SB6V24&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=303649601&pf_rd_i=468642

Amazon does not really represent the sales, though I truly wish The Witcher beats Crysis, I was a Crysis until I have played their Demo, while The Witcher got depth.

I'm a little disappointed to see a lack of any media blitz/advertisements for this game (in the US at least). If more people simply knew about the game I'm positive it would sell thousands more copies as the game is so incredible. That being said, when I picked up the game on release in the US at a Gamestop, they only recieved 3 copies while Hellgate had 30+ copies on display and that makes me sad. It's such a tragedy that this fantastic game is receiving a lot less attention than it deserves. Do the world of RPG fans a favor and spread the word of this game! The more copies sell, the better chance we have at getting a sequel!

But what can you do, really? Post your word on one or two boards, tell a friend...that all.It looks like CDP put most effort in the game design, not marketing (opposite to many other game devs).I suppose there is the main reason of notes decreased due to "technical issues"(as if Oblivion and many others hadn't such flaws), and this lack of hype on the main gaming sites.

zbiku

Forum veteran
Cassian said:
But what can you do, really? Post your word on one or two boards, tell a friend...that all.It looks like CDP put most effort in the game design, not marketing (opposite to many other game devs).
US marketing is Atari's responsibility and it's hard to control it from Poland. Hopefully our marketing guys will try to do something about it.

Zbiku said:
Zbiku said:
But what can you do, really? Post your word on one or two boards, tell a friend...that all.It looks like CDP put most effort in the game design, not marketing (opposite to many other game devs).
US marketing is Atari's responsibility and it's hard to control it from Poland. Hopefully our marketing guys will try to do something about it.
That's great, I KNOW you'd move more copies if only the exposure was there! You CDProjekt guys need to give Atari marketing a swift kick in the pants! ;D

Zbiku, You guys have made one of the best RPGs ever. In my 25+ years of gaming there have only been a small handful of titles that have left an impression on me, and The Witcher is in that group. It's a shame that Atari isn't marketing here in the U.S. as heavily as they should. I do believe they deserve a swift kick in the butt to get the ball rolling :p.

My guess is that their next project will be an xbox360 version of The Witcher. But let's hope not.

Zbiku said:
Zbiku said:
I hate to say this even tho this game deserves GOTY up the butt, you guys chose a horrible publisher. ATARI has one of the worst reputations around here worse than EA. I'm surprised they haven't bankrupted yet. I woulda chose activision, sega or monolith.The only reason I know about this game is because in on a .nl gaming forum where everyone speaks english. Otherwise I wouldn't know the witcher existed. Heck, just putting a couple ads on filefront.com and fileplanet.com would get you more than enough attention, and having a demo would have helped A LOT in this case as well.That being said, and with great respect to the devs, while this game was simply a 9/10 for me, I'm sure they learn from experience and their next game will knock our shoes off.

I hope for your next game/project, you can get a different publisher than Atari. Atari looks like it is going to go bankrupt, and as for their advertising, I read game media here and haven't seen a single thing about the witcher (i've just been following it for some time now over the internet)Even though yea I have some problems with loading times, I can tell already that this game is awesome. The only thing I don't like is the Aurora Engine :) But that's okay.

Top Bottom