Looking at this launch experience from a different perspective.

+
Many of us have taken our collective blow torches to CDPR on this forum and I hope my torch was one of the hotter ones. But that aside, there is something that I find very odd about the varying levels of experience regarding CP2077 that I personally cannot figure out which has me curious and puzzled. The likely reason I am so mesmerized by this problem is probably due to my computer programing knowledge extending to the fact that I know computer programing exists and involves computers and wizards. It ends there. As such what is really is so odd to me is how so many people across so many different and similar platforms can have such a variety of experience with bugs and glitches.

When you see people describing their experience with the game and the quality of their experience in terms of the glitches and bugs, it varies to a large degree even on similar software/hardware which is honestly something I didn't know was possible to this extent. For instance I have seen people who report to play on base PS4 who say "My experience has been fine, only crashed once or twice that's it." where as others make youtube videos of the some of the craziest glitches I've ever seen.

Considering my extreme lack of knowledge when it comes to programming, I'm really interested in knowing how this is possible and what is the cause of it. Also given that same lack of knowledge, I'm tempted to create some idea in my mind to explain it that leads into some sci-fi fantasy which while fun for me wouldn't solve the puzzle. Sure there is a subjective experience that will differ from player to player and I understand that on PC everyone has their own unique setup and all that so the varying degree of experience is more to be expected on PC.

TLDR: What I'm curious about though is how is it possible that such a varying degree of experience in terms of bugs and glitches (subjectivity aside) is possible on console when they're uniform in spec, design and functionality?

Think it has to do with what kinda games you like. Feels like Cp started as a rpg but became something else. I dont like the game cuz of the low rpg elements in this game. Some might like it cuz its buggy and it can be fun to watch bugs. Some might be after the GTA aspect and like the world and some might just not want to see the roughspots. I noticed more buggs after the rose tinted glasses came off. now i often see t-pose npcs and glitches when i try to play... i say try cuz i really cant play for long before i start thinking about what could have been.

I've seen people who played Skyrim without the unofficial patch and claimed they encountered zero bugs.

Which should be statistically impossible considering the amount of bugs it fixes. It's much more likely that they notice bugs only when the game literally crashes or freezes.

Same can be applied to CP77 too. For these players, CP77 should literally crash to desktop to be buggy.

So basically the bugs and glitches seeming so varying on the same platform isn't really the case and it's due to peoples lack of awareness to the bugs and glitches either because they like/don't like the game so they're more/less aware or to what level they experience bugs and glitches is determined by their awareness of what a bug or glitch is.

That makes sense and I guess there is just some measure of probability or circumstance that cause the more extreme glitches to manifest.

It's called the Silicon Lottery. You can buy dozens of identical piece(s) of hardware and it's rare that any two will have truly identical performance, especially on the PC end where users are typically free to overclock and extract even more performance. You could very well have ended up with an RTX 2080 Ti that will still outperform a good portion of RTX 3070s with ease in terms of raw FPS (no Ray Tracing).

It is the nature of microelectronics at this stage in our technological advancement, and particularly why high-end PC components command ever-increasing price tags. Processors are manufactured as giant discs (wafers), and are then cut into individual units (dies). The process for actually creating a wafer is INCREDIBLY expensive, and the newer the microarchitecture the more loss there is. You only yield so many effective (functional) single units, and it takes a long time for that yield to improve. In a way, it's a bit of alchemy even after you've figured out all of the science.

I can usually dismiss anything that is aesthetically "broken" if "i'm in the zone"/hooked on the current task, although texture popping triggers me a bit, but I get irate when something breaks that prevents me from progressing the story, another case of ymmv and how much patience the player has for bugs/glitches, My friend plays cp77 on a far superior rig than mine and he's having allsorts of issues, whereas I on an inferior rig to him have had one bug so far and that's the ammo bug, where I have -999,999 ammo (shotgun in my case) where I couldn't buy any ammo either, a quick reddit surf, found the answer, buy a shotgun ( to get ammo that comes with the gun) and it resets, but that bug should have been picked up prior to launch. I feel ppl just get angry and shitpost about bugs rather than submitting a ticket or whatever describing what happened, is it replicable, does it only happen in a certain location etc etc, I always report bugs, cos it makes the game better for everyone in the long run.

I've seen people who played Skyrim without the unofficial patch and claimed they encountered zero bugs.
That's basically me. I had 100+ hours in Skyrim on release without the unofficial patch and had very few bugs. I think I had only one major bug with one of main storyline quests where some NPC didn't give me a dialogue and thus I couldn't progress. I don't remember how it was solved, with an official patch or not. But overall my experience was far from apocalyptic pictures that people described. Mostly smooth with occasional hiccups.

On the topic... Videos with bugs are concentrated on bugs, thus it makes the situation worse than it seems in reality. Some people really test game systems with how they play games. They're likely to encounter more bugs. There are normies like myself, that just play games without much experimenting or pushing it. I played 3-4 hours of CP77 on PC and had only two minor glitches - Jackie's guns duplicating and hanging in the air and Parker sliding on her ass on the floor in the background during a dialogue with Judy. Granted, I didn't do anything extreme gameplay wise, like aggro police, fighting on streets or racing recklessly. I'm not saying CP77 is fine, just explaining reasons why people have different experiences. Worth mentioning weaker hardware is likely to produce more bugs, since it might fail to load textures, animations and models on time or unload them prematurely depending on player's action...

Forgive me if I didn't make this clear enough but my question is really about how the experience is so varying on console. However, perhaps if I'm reading you guys correctly, even on console the experience can vary because the consoles are still constructed with silicon based hardware? Is that about right?

Just from a common sense perspective I can understand how the PC experience differs so much give the opposite of uniformity that is on console but the varying experience on the same consoles is what trips me up.

but the varying experience on the same consoles is what trips me up.
I can't understand that either, considering they're made from the same plan and parts in theory, it's probably something in the manafacturing process, if they're outsourcing component manafacturing?, cos technically they're all the same, so why the differing issues? sounds like a case for sherlock holmes.

I can't understand that either, considering they're made from the same plan and parts in theory, it's probably something in the manafacturing process, if they're outsourcing component manafacturing?, cos technically they're all the same, so why the differing issues? sounds like a case for sherlock holmes.

Exactly, bugs and glitches are no new thing on console but I've never seen or heard of console games having such a wide gap in amount and severity of glitches within the same game. I hope one day this is explained because it is a puzzle.

Shines a light and a holds a magnifying glass on:
download (1).jpg

That's about as much as I can do as far as playing the role of Holmes however.

Exactly, bugs and glitches are no new thing on console but I've never seen or heard of console games having such a wide gap in amount and severity of glitches within the same game. I hope one day this is explained because it is a puzzle.
one factor I've considered is what % of ppl are running the game from an external HDD, could that be an issue?

one factor I've considered is what % of ppl are running the game from an external HDD, could that be an issue?

Ah that seems like good thinking to me. I personally was playing on a PS4 Pro and on an internal high quality Samsung SSD and I experienced plenty of bugs, glitches and crashes such as cars spawning below the pavement/sidewalk etc or NPC's that didn't fully load but I was never sent into space or witnessed cars flying across the map though.

Ah that seems like good thinking to me. I personally was playing on a PS4 Pro and on an internal high quality Samsung SSD and I experienced plenty of bugs, glitches and crashes such as cars spawning below the pavement/sidewalk etc or NPC's that didn't fully load but I was never sent into space or witnessed cars flying across the map though.
I think most of the bugs comes from the heavy load this game takes on cpus. Noticed it loaded up all my 24 threads after i fixed the SMT issue. Never seen a game do that before. It didedent max them out but all were used.

I think most of the bugs comes from the heavy load this game takes on cpus. Noticed it loaded up all my 24 threads after i fixed the SMT issue. Never seen a game do that before. It didedent max them out but all were used.
Two questions:

1.) Does that same thing happen on consoles?
2.) If it does, why do some people experience game breaking bugs/glitches and some people have "it's just fine" experience on the exact same consoles?

I'm starting to wonder if what @MMOJunkie said about the manufacturing process could have some validity to it and play some role to the varying issues people are experiencing on the same consoles. But it may be impossible to tell. Maybe 400,000 people dropped their PS4 and now it has an attitude problem lol. Maybe this is impossible to figure out but I've been a console gamer for a long time and I've never seen, heard or experienced anything like this ever.

Think it has to do with what kinda games you like. Feels like Cp started as a rpg but became something else. I dont like the game cuz of the low rpg elements in this game. Some might like it cuz its buggy and it can be fun to watch bugs. Some might be after the GTA aspect and like the world and some might just not want to see the roughspots. I noticed more buggs after the rose tinted glasses came off. now i often see t-pose npcs and glitches when i try to play... i say try cuz i really cant play for long before i start thinking about what could have been.
Yup, that's starting to creep in with me too...especially considering that there are the remnants of what the game was supposed to be still littered everywhere. It's so blatantly obvious, from item descriptions to systems that just feel incredibly tacked, ill fitting, not to mention highly exploitable, like remote/quickhacking, crafting and the stats on clothing.

That's basically me. I had 100+ hours in Skyrim on release without the unofficial patch and had very few bugs.
On release, ie wtihout both official and unofficial patches, a number of side quests could not be completed whatsoever, not even via console.
You just didn't play enough. 100 hours is very low compared to my 1500 :coolstory:

Last edited:
remember some people who see 0 bugs on skyrim or fallout76 are people who are ultra casual mobile gamers, even if they see a bug they think its part of game, they can't tell a difference between whats intended or not.

remember some people who see 0 bugs on skyrim or fallout76 are people who are ultra casual mobile gamers, even if they see a bug they think its part of game, they can't tell a difference between whats intended or not.
Somewhere, someone is being launched into space when they exit their car thinking "Wow this is awesome, I didn't know I could fly in this game."

Two questions:

1.) Does that same thing happen on consoles?
2.) If it does, why do some people experience game breaking bugs/glitches and some people have "it's just fine" experience on the exact same consoles?

I'm starting to wonder if what @MMOJunkie said about the manufacturing process could have some validity to it and play some role to the varying issues people are experiencing on the same consoles. But it may be impossible to tell. Maybe 400,000 people dropped their PS4 and now it has an attitude problem lol. Maybe this is impossible to figure out but I've been a console gamer for a long time and I've never seen, heard or experienced anything like this ever.
Not sure actualy but i guess theres just as much scrips and stuff running behind the scenes. Watched digitalfoundrys test and seems it has huge hickups in preformance...

Somewhere, someone is being launched into space when they exit their car thinking "Wow this is awesome, I didn't know I could fly in this game."
I legit wanted flying cars in game, they are part of the lore, wouldn't that be considered a " bonus feature" ?

Top Bottom