Multiplayer Idea(s)

+
Don't underestimate Rache Bartmoss, even though they shot him with the ESA Orbital Cannon he still would have found a way out, like uploading his entire psyche/mind onto the net like Alt did. Cause this was the guy who wrote nearly all the different progs every runner uses in 2020 and he surfed the algorithm wave when the net was upgraded to what it is currently in 2020.

Rache wouldn't have let a little thing like body-death impede his hacking. I'm sure we'll find his mindstate distributed throughout the net. It would make an interesting story for netrunners to piece together his mindstate and reload him into a cyborg.

4meg;n9740491 said:
Rache wouldn't have let a little thing like body-death impede his hacking. I'm sure we'll find his mindstate distributed throughout the net. It would make an interesting story for netrunners to piece together his mindstate and reload him into a cyborg.
Given his "mindstate" how would you even know if you missed a few pieces or included elements that weren't part of it originally?

Guest 4149880

Lisbeth_Salander;n9738651 said:
You found a little problem related to multiplayer factions and stated that it is all impossible to be made because of it. Guess what, Call of Duty allows factions in multiplayer and it's been working for years.

The problem with controversial factions is mainly due to players being able to freely create their factions. Give players the option to 100% customize their faction's emblem and we'll get nazi symbols on day one, but if the set of customization is limited then there's no problem. Limited customization is the key to avoid that "little" problem.

There's plenty of games out there with faction/team systems in multiplayer, and none of them had this problem because they did it well.

I never actually stated it's impossible, only that it I don't agree that it would really work well for the type of game it seems they may be making. Also, Unless Cyberpunk 2077 online is going to be like call of duty, its doomed already, so the factions system for a modern multiplayer shooter wouldn't quite translate over to what 2077 is probably aiming for.

And what single player focused RPG's with light online elements used player created factions and did it well? Also I just don't see how these factions could really be more then smaller group focused clans rather then full on factions with hundreds of players joined under one banner vs other factions with a high player count to oppose each other in PvP.

Only curious, Maybe elaborate on how the system would work more in depth.

Suhiira;n9741151 said:
Given his "mindstate" how would you even know if you missed a few pieces or included elements that weren't part of it originally?

Would it really matter and would he even notice?

Eltyris;n9734671 said:
It could work if we had some kind of in game world editor, like in Fallout 4 settlement mode. Something that would be done outside , perhaps netrunning?
So you could "create" something like high security compound, entry points, assign cameras, security, patrol routes, place items, etc...the full deal. Then the creator would write it's own mini narrative, about the place, objectives, etc. Sort of like Satellite Reign missions.
But let's not kind ourselves...this would require lot of investment and massive turn around in CDPR's "design philosophy".

Yeah, this is along the lines I'm thinking of, not quests put into the persistent game world of Night City. Using social hubs (like others have mentioned) a "fixer" could find information on a possibly lucrative one if they know another player who has the skills and could get paid for sharing the info with them. Or something.

Oh, and don't worry about the amount of resources it would take. I'm a dreamer!

I still can't wrap my head around how the reddit community discarded this rumor.

A social hub might work if tis something like VR Chat.

My hope is that the social hub is what they mean by "multiplayer elements", rather than some full-blown PvP mode or GTA Online-style BS.

Snowflakez;n10153562 said:
My hope is that the social hub is what they mean by "multiplayer elements", rather than some full-blown PvP mode or GTA Online-style BS.

I'm pretty sure Cp2077 will have a PVP mode or GTA Online style stuff because of the fact that CDPR's CEO said a few weeks ago that "Online is necessary in the long term"; You know one thing that is necessary in the long term? Money. And a social hub like VR Chat is by no means a way to make money, but something like PvP or a mode like GTA Online is the way to go if you want some cash.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10153592 said:
I'm pretty sure Cp2077 will have a PVP mode or GTA Online style stuff because of the fact that CDPR's CEO said a few weeks ago that "Online is necessary in the long term"; You know one thing that is necessary in the long term? Money. And a social hub like VR Chat is by no means a way to make money, but something like PvP or a mode like GTA Online is the way to go if you want some cash.

Pretty sure he was referring to Gwent and the like. CDPR has proven themselves that they actually don't need multiplayer to be successful at all - long term or otherwise. Release fleshed out, well-made singleplayer DLC and make an excellent base game, and you'll be just fine. And then do it again. And again.

Multiplayer is not necessary. Not sure why he would ever say that in the context of a single player CDPR RPG when they've proven it wrong themselves.

EDIT: The interview where he mentions that could mean anything. Just read it. He wasn't specifically referencing any game, could have been referring to CDPR as a whole - which makes WAY more sense, by the way, because pretty much anyone can agree that having multiplayer games in your arsenal is very, very good for long term success indeed.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

Lisbeth_Salander;n10153592 said:

GTAO is a god awful comparison for what online element should be for 2077. Cyberpunk's gameplay should have depth and meaning, all of which GTAO has none of, its simply chaotic and pointless run an gun. Hoping 2077 isn't a mindless shooter with simply cyberpunk looks.

Also considering the "seamless" aspect means to me, that its possibly built into the single player world, maybe similar to Watchdogs or Dark Souls with single player character progressions tied to MP, which while there's technically a loading screen to transition into ones game to another, it would considered seamless compared to a completely separate mode with different character progression like GTAO.

Online is necessary could also mean that by simply having a MP element, it could keep people interested for a longer time after single player is finished, with possibly free DLC and meaningful expansions used for MP as well.

I think MP should be built around each players single player experience by allowing you to invite other players using social hubs, to join you on your missions, Dark Souls style. That way the host has full control and players are basically companion replacements. I think if the game allowed players to effect the host players world, missions choices, dialog, game events, then the game would suffer from trolls and griefers, unless you're the so called "Invader", then it would result in small scale battles.

Small scale MP is the way to go in my opinion. Maybe the isolated combat zone could be the chaos area for those who need more action in their lives. But that by no means 2077 disserves to be compared to the division either... No no

Also I wouldn't underestimate CDPR inspiration from the Demons Souls /Dark Souls series for many concepts going forward as the Witcher 3 combat system were directly influenced by them. SO who knows what it will all end up being.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeastModeIron;n10153932 said:
GTAO is a god awful comparison for what online element should be for 2077. Cyberpunk's gameplay should have depth and meaning, all of which GTAO has none of, its simply chaotic and pointless run an gun. Hoping 2077 isn't a mindless shooter with simply cyberpunk looks.

Also considering the "seamless" aspect means to me, that its possibly built into the single player world, maybe similar to Watchdogs or Dark Souls with single player character progressions tied to MP, which while there's technically a loading screen to transition into ones game to another, it would considered seamless compared to a completely separate mode with different character progression like GTAO.

Online is necessary could also mean that by simply having a MP element, it could keep people interested for a longer time after single player is finished, with possibly free DLC and meaningful expansions used for MP as well.

I think MP should be built around each players single player experience by allowing you to invite other players using social hubs, to join you on your missions, Dark Souls style. That way the host has full control and players are basically companion replacements. I think if the game allowed players to effect the host players world, missions choices, dialog, game events, then the game would suffer from trolls and griefers, unless you're the so called "Invader", then it would result in small scale battles.

Small scale MP is the way to go in my opinion. Maybe the isolated combat zone could be the chaos area for those who need more action in their lives. But that by no means 2077 disserves to be compared to the division either... No no

Also I wouldn't underestimate CDPR inspiration from the Demons Souls /Dark Souls series for many concepts going forward as the Witcher 3 combat system were directly influenced by them. SO who knows what it will all end up being.

Yes, I completely agree. You explained it better than I could.

There are obviously a lot of elements of Dark Souls I do not enjoy (not a fan of the progression/RPG systems, really) but bringing a similar coop system to CP2077 would be pretty nice. One thing I wouldn't want is the invasion mechanic being mingled with coop like it is in DS3 (maybe the other games too)... If I want to have friends join me in 2077 for a mission where companions are ordinarily available, I don't want to be punished for it by getting invaded.

Now that I'm against invasions, I'd just like that sort of thing to be optional. If I want a single-player or coop experience, I should be able to keep it a singleplayer or coop experience.

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10153962 said:
Yes, I completely agree. You explained it better than I could.

There are obviously a lot of elements of Dark Souls I do not enjoy (not a fan of the progression/RPG systems, really) but bringing a similar coop system to CP2077 would be pretty nice. One thing I wouldn't want is the invasion mechanic being mingled with coop like it is in DS3 (maybe the other games too)... If I want to have friends join me in 2077 for a mission where companions are ordinarily available, I don't want to be punished for it by getting invaded.

Now that I'm against invasions, I'd just like that sort of thing to be optional. If I want a single-player or coop experience, I should be able to keep it a singleplayer or coop experience.

Speaking of MP, I guess I could agree that it shouldn't be forced in all areas in the case of 2077. While I do think the Dark Souls Mp system is the best implementation of MP of any game I like personally, other games using a similar MP concept don't need to copy it in all aspects.

In the case of Dark Souls, I do think invasions should be forced with co op, its one of the games main features, (like jump scares in a horror game) I do like that its still optional to shut off invasions entirely in two different ways. Playing offline, or undead/unkindled/soul form. All or nothing with MP.

I think 2077 could use similar MP features but I agree, it shouldn't require invasions to be forced except for maybe specific PvP centric areas like maybe the combat zone or other areas where its possible but other factors might change how it occurs. Or unless the player turns on the "PvP everywhere" feature so it can happen at any point possibly. Still optional, yes.

I would just enjoy a much more small scale personal experience then a recycled MP excursion like most games have already done time and time again. And Dark Souls does a nice job of mixing single player RPG with MP.

I'm not saying Dark Souls and 2077 will be anything alike, I don't think that'll be the case, but the ideas/concepts behind its features is something I'd like to see explored further in other games, even more so.

I really don't want to see "PvP Anywhere" in CP2077.
We've all seen it in other games, and it always ruins the game when a small group of A......s decides to amuse themselves at the expense of the other 98% of the player base.

And even in non PvP areas you get problems. Anyone else hear about the problems they had (have?) in "The Division" with people blocking doorway etc. ?

For some reason PvP tends to attract the sort of people that take great pleasure in amusing themselves at other people expense. Yes ... it's maybe only 5-10% of PvP fans that do this sort of thing, but we've seen over and over that's all it takes.

So if there's going to be PvP in CP2077 I think it needs to be an option selected by whoever is hosting the multi-player server. That way the 75%+ of players that want nothing to do with PvP don't have to deal with it, and the PvP fans are all in one place dealing with each other.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n10154132 said:
We've all seen it in other games, and it always ruins the game when a small group of A......s decides to amuse themselves at the expense of the other 98% of the player base.

And even in non PvP areas you get problems. Anyone else hear about the problems they had (have?) in "The Division" with people blocking doorway etc. ?

For some reason PvP tends to attract the sort of people that take great pleasure in amusing themselves at other people expense. Yes ... it's maybe only 5-10% of PvP fans that do this sort of thing, but we've seen over and over that's all it takes.

So if there's going to be PvP in CP2077 I think it needs to be an option selected by whoever is hosting the multi-player server. That way the 75%+ of players that want nothing to do with PvP don't have to deal with it, and the PvP fans are all in one place dealing with each other.

In a free form MP in an RPG that allows player expression, players should do what they want within the games limits as long as it isn't game breaking or exploitative. But yes it should be optional as said before. If CDPR can incorporate an enjoyable MP element, it certainly will won't detract 75% of players.

Its funny how many Cyberpunk fans are opposed to multiplayer when the PnP is a co operative and competitive game, as well as the over all theme of cyberpunk as a hardcore dystopian world with degenerate human beings, perfect for MP I'd say, and most people are complaining about the game even having such a mode. All the millennials want a safe bubble in such a hardened setting full of corruption in an imperfect society.

Suhiira;n10154132 said:

Likewise.

At most multiplayer should be a separate entity like Gwent. Elsewise, people jumping in and out of the game (even if only optionally), the gameplay systems need to be unified between the two and that’s a pretty hard design limitation ruling out a multitude of possibilities (not to say that those are necessarily considered anyway, but there’s the possibility).

BeastModeIron;n10154232 said:
In a free form MP in an RPG that allows player expression, players should do what they want within the games limits as long as it isn't game breaking or exploitative. But yes it should be optional as said before. If CDPR can incorporate an enjoyable MP element, it certainly will won't detract 75% of players.

Its funny how many Cyberpunk fans are opposed to multiplayer when the PnP is a co operative and competitive game, as well as the over all theme of cyberpunk as a hardcore dystopian world with degenerate human beings, perfect for MP I'd say, and most people are complaining about the game even having such a mode. All the millennials want a safe bubble in such a hardened setting full of corruption in an imperfect society.

I think it's less that people want a safe bubble, and more the following...
  • People worry that a multiplayer mode that is overly fleshed out will detract from the quality and development of the singleplayer portion of the game - which is basically an indisputable fact, because every game dev on the planet has limited resources, no matter how "when its ready" their approach to a release date is.
  • People worry that people will be able to intrude upon their singleplayer experience at will, running about and causing mayhem - like GTA Online. Understandably, a lot of us do not want this, including yourself from what I've gathered.
Like I've said before, I'm all for some sort of dip in/dip out (optional, of course, people will need to opt in to this hypothetical system) coop system for certain missions or side events throughout the game, potentially with the ability to also opt in to "invasion-style" Watch Dogs/Dark Souls PvP. Would almost not detract from development of the singleplayer game at all, since its so painfully simple and requires no additional mechanics, items or story to go with it - and it wouldn't affect anyone that doesn't want it. The game wouldn't be built around it.

Alternatively, having a social hub bar where players can drink, play minigames and otherwise shoot the shit could be fun too. Something tells me it'll be one of these two things.

BeastModeIron;n10154232 said:

Well,

a) Watch the "millennials" BS. We're gonna skip these generalizations around here, unless we're generalizing about Arasaka being evil evil evil. Evil.

b) Cyberpunk PnP is a governed, controlled medium. The Referee/GM makes sure people aren't ruining others' fun - at least not without cause and within character. And even then, only carefully. A dystopic world is no excuse for spoiling what is, in the end, a game designed to be fun for all players.

As for Cpunk being for hardened badasses, sure that's part of the charm and a reason not to go too easy on the players, but that's not the same as players messing with each other. Messing with other players in a safe environment without real world consequences isn't being a badass - just a bully.

Top Bottom