Narrative on Rails?

+
First, Witcher 3 is my favorite game. Bar none. And the balance between open world, character building and narrative sequences was well done.

However, as a long time RPG player, I don't want a game where the narrative feels too "on rails". Of course, there are stories and they have beginning and end, but more and more we are seeing games where your role as "observer" of the game (where a voice tells you what to do and where to go. you are basically a robot) is growing more than you as the "player". I don't want my character to just be an actor in someone elses script. I want to make a character and play the world as my own story.

Let me elaborate:

1) If I want to play the lone wanderer, net runner type, then I don't want a loud mouth side kick AT ALL.
2) If I want to stealth or hack my way through a mission, I should be able to.
3) If I want to become a hermit trader who just crafts stuff, and sells it, then let me do that.

Don't force me into storylines that aren't suited for the role I want to play.

Going back to the gameplay reveal.

What if I decide part way through that I want to turn around and go home. What happens to Jackie? Does the mission immediately fail? Does it just get suspended indefinitely?

Last edited:
Well i don´t think that you can just be a trader...its no sandbox rpg but an (hopefull) open themepark. You will be ever a (in shadowrun therms) Runner.....if it be a netrunner, a solo or such is your try ... if you wan´t to sneak and hack or go guns blazing too...but i don´t believe that you can say "fuck all this i just sell stuff"

Well i don´t think that you can just be a trader...its no sandbox rpg but an (hopefull) open themepark. You will be ever a (in shadowrun therms) Runner.....if it be a netrunner, a solo or such is your try ... if you wan´t to sneak and hack or go guns blazing too...but i don´t believe that you can say "fuck all this i just sell stuff"

Yeah, I guess my trader analogy wasn't very good. But you get my point. You want your character to take on your style and personality through decisions. Not just moving to next dot on the minimap and shooting when targets turn red. Not saying that is the case here, but it's certainly a trend to be careful and avoid.

This is based off a pen and paper rpg where it states in the section about classes too feel free too make your own.. and you think Mike Pondsmith is going too rail road you... really?

so far the dev...insisted on FPP saying its essentiel for the narrative . And well..game is hinted to be story heavy .

Take that as you will .

well writing multiple paths for one type of character and implementing them in a game, is easier than trying to do the same for all of them.. it would be a massive undertaking .

Starwars KOTOR sorta did that but also in the grand scheme of things failed in the same way mass effect failed, as it railroaded every one into one Narrative in the end. well they had one narrative with multiple perspectives and a Dialog tree that really led to the same conclusion one way or another giving the illusion of choice. hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will have true choice with Multiple endings and outcomes and that's what they are promising.

as far as character choice I think they made the right one , Solo is usually the first type of character people usually make, tho it would of been cool too play as a corporate to be on the shady side of the deal as you navigating cut throat office politics while ruthlessly climbing the corporate ladder.

when I GM cyberpunk I start everyone with a core skill of zero, and everyone starts out in some trash hole in the combat zone. then the players build there characters up from there. so you start off as a street punk and then you can grow into a Nomad , Solo, Media, Fixer , Techie / Med Techie, Corporate, Cop, Netrunner , or Rockerboy. but that's the appeal for pen and paper RPG's and to be honest I don't think Video games can come close too touch it.

Tho I would love too See CD Project Red do a Turn based Virtual Table Top for Cyberpunk 2020

Top Bottom