Netrunning and The Net as the second Open World for the game

+
Netrunning and The Net as the second Open World for the game

I was looking for a generic topic for Netrunning that was all encompassing and I was surprised to find none of that. We have the "Computer Terminals and OS Mechanics", which is fairly recent but mostly deals with the idea of computer science being reflected in a more realistic and less romantizised way of Cyberpunk... and the older "Netrunning should be puzzle based". Now I don't know if my title is again too specific... but I think it's broader.

I'm starting this thread so that we can talk about the Net in general, both in how it could pertain to Netrunner specific gameplay (or hybrid classes or in a classless system but for people who build a character with the needed hacking skills) and for regular users.

One of the "selling points" that we have in the Known Features thread is that "the game will have two open world scenarios". I think it's pretty safe to assume that these are the physical world and the net. Also, this seems to point to the net being a scenario where we can roam pretty much as freely as the regular one but that would probably have its own rules. That doesn't leave out, in my opinion, a degree of puzzle solving or minigames or side mechanics for hacking that aren't just... I don't know, reskins of regular cover-based shooter mechanics or whatever the combat system ends up being... or superpowers.

So what are your ideas for the Net?

Let me start saying a bunch of mine:

- I personally oppose the idea of it being a reskin of the city where you just see the nodes (or whatever) for everything in their actual physical space. It would defeat completely the purpose of portraying a telecommunications network: users shouldn't be tied to the parallel of their current position of their physical world, nor should any kind of appliance. We should get the feelng that we can actually access different virtual enclaves based on different parts of the world at high speeds, that this Net is common with the rest of the world, "meet" users from all over it, etc. The game should also go all the way through to make us know that the other users are indeed in other parts of the world, and sometimes with things happening to them that, for example, cut them from the net. Through clever writing and world building we should also get the impression that maybe that avatar could be one of the people that we see in the streets, and even do things such as outright having actual main and minor characters have their own Avatars but us not knowing who they are, maybe because they act so differently in the net.

- Net users should be able to create their own avatars with an added character creation system when they use it for the first time... or when they are given the choice to alter them. NPCs should also have avatars "from all walks of second life": off the shelf Barbie doll avatars and black and white static avatars like in Snow Crash, and others as wild as what we ourselves can make. Animations should also be varied and customizable, and we could have things such as flight or a light cycle that stand for high speed connection.

- It should bridge the gap between the mystique created by works that represent their own version of Cyberspace in very different but yet influential and romanticised ways, even if it's cheesy. I'd like the net to be the same where avatars can get in gladiatorial, aerial or vehicular combat, RPGs, ARGS, adult entertainment, chatrooms, forums... with some shadier parts like a dark net and also corporate controlled areas.

- Non-netrunner characters could double as their own classes also in the Net... or even act exclusively as a role in the net: Medias that work on the net both hunting the news and presenting them, Rockerboys putting up a virtual show, etc.

Last edited:
First off I don't want it to be a re-skin of Night City. The net needs to have its own flair, dangers, mysterys, and rewards.

Second, I want to have the choice to make what I would look like on the net. And it can be crazy because hey its virtual reality, its not limited to real life stuff.

Third and lastly, make it good. Don't make it crap.XD

I would like to read more about your thoughts and ideas when you write "...the things that happen to them on the net."

I'll contribute and suggest, honing your skill level allows you to capture and use an NPCs net persona. Depending on how difficult the job, if you want to break into a mega corporation office files to gain access to the nefarious dealings they have had, then perhaps you will have an opportunity to woo a lonely low level manager, physically take their ID before slipping out in the morning after a one night romp and then counterfeit it or do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Of course moral repercussions should follow with that course of action, as is the hallmark of a good CDProjecktRed title.

NetRunning should be easy script kiddie level stuff. With a good tutorial and scaling difficulty it will work a lot better than just having combat in cyberspace.
I hope CDPR have the fucking BALLS to do that.

NetRunning should be easy script kiddie level stuff. With a good tutorial and scaling difficulty it will work a lot better than just having combat in cyberspace.
I hope CDPR have the fucking BALLS to do that.

you mean something like this or this? because that would be amazing. the first version would probably be too much (both to implement and for the general public as well) but the second one isn't too complex, but it still gives you a lot of power. I could definitely see something like this in the game, otherwise I don't see how it could be different enough from the real world, besides being less realistic-looking.

So basically, net is an extension of the real world. You can find quests, items, AI (equivalent of NPCs) and generally explore in the same way you do in the meat-space. Different areas of the net have different level of security (if you hack you are an outlaw, if you own the domain then you are protected) and C2020 also mentions the dark areas (unknown territory), where there is little or no information about what exists there. There is also the low-Earth-orbit area (aka Orbitsville) that security is low and most net-runners hang-out and socialize. Among others, it gives an idea of a "Second-Life" experience.

Thing is, even if the net is the cyber-version of the real-world, you can still travel to other places outside NIght City easier than the physical world. Additionally, the existence of Bulletin Boards allows for a lot of customization of this world, so if you are tired of these Tron-looking mainstream ideas, BBS means you can see the setting based on its programmer, meaning the Net has no standardized appearance to begin with. You could be inside cool looking pixelated caves then on to some black n white space station, the choices are endless and clearly rely on how much they are willing to stick to the original p&p version rules.

Some ideas I posted in another thread:

Virtuals have a lot of potential. Them being independent levels that you warp in and out, they can literally have a full working game-play mechanic based on the idea.

Some examples:
1) You can buy a virtual and when you do, its yours and you get all the means to access it without net-running skills.
2) You can buy better types of virtuals. Expensive virtuals are photorealistic, while cheap ones feel like Nintendo 64 graphics.
3) You can change your appearance in the virtual. Another cool thing to buy from a net-runner (aka Icons).
4) You can (ideally) visit virtuals from other players (think GTA apartments).
5) Guns don't work in visuals (by default), but that doesn't mean you cant have them shoot to test stuff. There are special programs used as weapons.
6) Virtuals can be created to depict a certain location at a certain timeline with certain AI running it. Meaning you basically can have dungeons for literally every possible setting.
7) You can trick the player into thinking that he is still in the real world after he gets knocked out, by having him connected to a virtual. That way you can create some moral dilemmas that won't really happen in reality and push the player into giving unwanted information or making choices that he will regret later.
:cool: Physical objects of the real world can materialize when inside a virtual. That could make an interesting mechanic where some loot crates can only be opened from within the net. Same goes for AIs.
9) You can let the player customize his virtual by buying discs that contain physical objects that he can use to decorate.
10)You can have virtuals have their own rules. Physics, powers, appearance, everything can be programmed to function differently, so the choices are endless.

Edit: Forgot to mention the existence of the Net Police, aka NetWatch. They are basically the ones that patrol the Net, able to freeze Net-runners (get them stuck in the Net) and in worst cases to use black programs that could kill net-runners in the real world. Not to mention that extended period of icing a Net-runner will result to his dying from dehydration (C20 v.2 p.131)

Last edited:
you mean something like this or this? because that would be amazing. the first version would probably be too much (both to implement and for the general public as well) but the second one isn't too complex, but it still gives you a lot of power. I could definitely see something like this in the game, otherwise I don't see how it could be different enough from the real world, besides being less realistic-looking.

Yes but without the cyberspace world, you do everything in the real game world on your computer.

---------- Updated at 09:05 PM ----------

Honestly if netrunning is combat in cyberspace im shutting down the game and selling it back to gamestop on the spot.

I have to agree to an extent.
I'm less then thrilled with the way Shadowrun handled net combat as it's absolutely nothing more then a very minor variant on the games normal combat system.
I really don't have any reasonable suggestion as to how it should be handled but this strikes me as one way it shouldn't be.

but isn't that "just hacking"? from what I understand of netrunning, it's supposed to be a VR experience. I doubt they would throw that concept out.

VR experience will just be combat in virtual space and its been done to death and its as boring and uninteresting as always.

Could something like SUPERHOT'S time moves only when you move mechanic be suitable for at least the combat portion of netrunning? The game's hotswitch ability where you basically can take over other avatars Agent Smith-style is pretty neat too. Maybe with some restrictions in place so that you can't take control over time or other (lower level) agents quite so frequently.

The overall quite minimalist but very efficient aesthetic could also be something to take cues from, imo.

[video=youtube;QWJSiJsmO-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJSiJsmO-A[/video]

As I thought about it, I am also against re-skinning the city. It needs to be something unique. The net needs to be its own universe, but it also needs to be awesome and cool. A reason why netrunners want to live in the net.

I want roles/skill to be in so different roles will have different access to the net. Most people will probably have some type of AR/VR goggles which give similiar access our computer/smartphones give through text/video information, for most roles, this is how it should be used. However a netrunner is the one that actually jacks into net/cyberspace and practically lives there and avoiding meatspace as much as possible.

In the book true names and other dangers, the net is a giant fantasy setting, with hackers being wizards, castles representing secured networks, gaurds are A.I. programs..etc. I was thinking something similar, but what if cyberspace could be customized by the hacker. They could load a SKIN that would translate the data into something the user can see. So someone could use a fantasy representation (gee, if only CDPR had some fantasy assets to use), or they could change it out to look like a sea with dangerous monsters (A.I. defenders), with islands (networks)..etc. When different hackers meet, they each will see their own version of cyberspace, but each are seeing it differently. This is also a way CDPR could avoid being "stuck" with a cyberpsace people might not like, they could just say this is the current skin out now, but new ones could be available later to change it to something else.

I'm interested in something that is completely different in style from the real world of the game. Abstract sounds, images, forms, something like the Cyberspace scenes in the Johnny Mnemonic film. That'd be awesome.

While Johny N cyberspace was interesting, I can't see it as being fun for long though, especially for netrunner which pretty much lives on the net.

While Johny N cyberspace was interesting, I can't see it as being fun for long though, especially for netrunner which pretty much lives on the net.

No.

If it was as diverse and visually thrilling as the example from the film, and that as another open world realm free to enter, exit and explore, or at least a BIG space for you to discover, I see no way in cyberhell how it could become boring. The Witcher 3 had literally nothing but towns, trees (be it forest, swamp or meadows, be it in warm Velen or snowy Skellige) and caves, and I still have not gotten tired of exploring that world, especially not with Blood and Wine coming up.

A vast Net realm as vibrant, colourful and creatively crazy as the one above does not become boring, period.

The Net is Fantasy Land on steroids and LSD.

While the city street grid could be used for ease of determining relative meat world location. Everything in the Net is a construct of the deranged imagination of some programmer and not subject to the laws of physics or even common sense, the ONLY limit is their imagination! The less the Net in CP2077 resembles and operates like the "real" (i.e. in-game) world the better.
Alien meets Loony Toons meets Real Science meets WTF-is-that ?!?

Last edited:
I also think that the net should be very varied, but we have tot ake into account that assets would take a toll on the game's size. I think this could be solved with a lot of the net not having a "high-fidelity" look, but one that looks more like... well, computer graphics than the computer graphics that make up the game world in meatspace. It would also help give it a more distinct look.

Top Bottom