New decks after the patch

+
New decks after the patch

I created this thread to see what kind of new NG decks and combos were created and see if they are effective.

I personally found that having 25 cards for new NG decks is not enough, i'm running 28-30 in a deck as thinning is so damn good right now. Giving the link to new deck. Despite having 29 cards i sometimes had a situation when i had no cards to play/use with morvran, so thinning is incredible.The amount of power this deck can produce is outstanding:Joachim into Nauzicca is free 17 str in 1 card, Tibor is 22 str game winner. I was also really afraid to use new Impera brigades as i thought they would have same strength and be very vulnerable to igni, but with the amount of spy murdering and rot tossers it isnt the case if brigades are not played together. Btw in NG mirror match if you play emissary and then Sweers it your opponent loses all his emmisaries.

Calveit decks didnt seem to change much, but imperas seem to be waaaay more vulnerable in those decks, but at least you shoudnt be afraid to play them before spies, so that's good. Still hard countered by consume monsters. Still want to see some competetive spy decks.

Emhyr seems better, but if mangonels are killed it's game over. And Borkh/Dbomb/Scorch/weather destroy buffed spotters with Vanhemar. Not top tier, but tbh reveal should never be a top tier deck, as it completely eliminates bluffing element from the game. It should be a good starter/midtier deck so you can learn about all possible archetypes from other factions and how they work and how players utilize their cards.

I've also seen some decks with Albrich/operator that try to overmill you opponent, so that he has no cards left and Tibor/Cahir/Vilge shine in full glory. I've tried one myself, but that seemed to be too inconsistent and worked as intented in maybe 1 out of 4-5 games.

I like new my new NG deck as it has really a lot of str potential and enough control to deal with Henselt/Geels combo decks if you are playing smart.

What are your ideas after new patch?

This new update should be changed to Northern Realms Invincibility Update with all honesty. The Demetrium bomb was one way to combat that Gold Card spamming Tactic an they stopped that! The commander horn was another way to defeat the Northern Realms by points but they took that out now you just have to watch your opponent spam all three rows with Gold cards and level up his tower while you watch. Monster decks are completely garbage now.

alizr3ik;n8204160 said:
This new update should be changed to Northern Realms Invincibility Update with all honesty. The Demetrium bomb was one way to combat that Gold Card spamming Tactic an they stopped that! The commander horn was another way to defeat the Northern Realms by points but they took that out now you just have to watch your opponent spam all three rows with Gold cards and level up his tower while you watch. Monster decks are completely garbage now.

NR Henselt is still very combo dependent: force an early promote or early pass and you win. As soon as he puts something worthy, like PFI or Siege tower, just rot toss it or lacerate. Henselt cant do combos without huge setup and that's what you should abuse to win against him. What i like to do control him as hard as i can in r1 and preferably win and overextend r2, so he has couple bad cards for r3 when i'm punishing him with Tibor.

Sargarth;n8204340 said:
NR Henselt is still very combo dependent: force an early promote or early pass and you win. As soon as he puts something worthy, like PFI or Siege tower, just rot toss it or lacerate. Henselt cant do combos without huge setup and that's what you should abuse to win against him. What i like to do control him as hard as i can in r1 and preferably win and overextend r2, so he has couple bad cards for r3 when i'm punishing him with Tibor.

I don't use lacerate in my deck its worthless against a deck like that secondly they can still be at a low level turn those towers gold and still get points added to those gold card! thats what you dont understand even when you control it as soon as they turn gold they can still level up even as gold cards! and soon as the rest of the cards turn gold those same cards multiple

Absolutely love the patch and overhaul. Difference is night and day. I am finding myself needing to bump up a couple of cards because i am thinning it out incredibly fast.

Ive pretty much abandoned cow tossers as they are getting locked or counter to easily now.

Meno is now an excellent card. Ive been having tremendous success with him.

I know its still beta and things will change but i hope they keep NG the way things are. Finally can compete with a lot more decks.

For Nilfgaard!!

I need some help with strategies againt ST control decks as they easily kill everything on my side of the board, but i cant touch anything on other side as it's either gold or an ambush. Right now i feel like the game is too much of rock-paper-scissors as if i tech against henselt and MS consume i lose hard against ST and if i try to use efficient thinning decks to bring as much power to my side i still cant always win against ST, but i'm guaranteed to lose against henselt or other snowball decks.
No matter how much i want to see NG as a top tier deck ST is still way better at control and the only snowball tactic right now is spies that gets countered very easy with henselt and co and unlike NR, NG cant revive key units.

I've only been playing for about a month so I'm still feeling out the game in general. That said, I'm thrilled with what the patch has done for NG (or at least for my Calveit spy deck anyway). IMO Calveit/Spies were always capable of generating huge advantage in terms of raw strength points. The problem was they were so unwieldy to use. You needed to play everything in a very particular order. It tended to lead to either overextending on one round and getting killed in the 3rd or winding up with a handful of combo pieces that don't really click with anything at which point your opponent can beat you even with neutral numbers. The changes to emissary alone make the deck vastly more competitive though. Great milling and search ability massively improves stability of the deck overall. Gone are the days of worrying about Emissary pulling an Ambassador when you have nothing to buff or a Rot Tosser at totally the wrong time. The changes to Impera are nice too. He combos so much better with Rot Tosser now that you can put him on the field early and still get the buff any time you play Rot after. (In general, it's nice to have more options for the first move.)

On the downside, Henselt does pose a huge problem now that D Bomb is nerfed. If he gets his ability off before Calveit or Meno you wind up helping your opponent out way too much as he converts half your spies to Gold. You can try and D Bomb your spies (I've learned quickly the importance of placing them together for this reason). But that really just gets you back to being *able* to Calveit or Meno. Meanwhile, you've wasted D Bomb and his Siege Towers still get buffed majorly. Right now I'm thinking, if he really takes over the metagame, I might try out Letho as a counter. I don't play him right now but he's an interesting option. Turn a whole bunch of units into one single Gold that he can't convert. Plus, you can still convert him to silver with Shackles (instead of D Bomb) and call him back or destroy him. Short of that...I dunno. Just try to pull off your big play before he does.

P.S. I don't know about Mill decks but Operator is a must for spy decks. Duplicating Cantarella (or any spy) will always work out in your favor because *your* spy is gonna get Calveit-ed back or while theirs isn't. Plus, you can Decoy their copy back on them. I also strongly recommend Alzur's Double Cross. It will always pull Cantarella now that she is at 12 base, unless she's in your hand already in which case it pulls Operator to copy her (unless you run N. Knights or another especially beefy silver).

Bl00dGeist;n8216300 said:
Ive pretty much abandoned cow tossers as they are getting locked or counter to easily now.

How do you find you're getting countered? My feeling with rot tossers is that they're not really *meant* to actually destroy big value targets. Your opponent is usually going to be able to counter. That's still going to cost them though. If they've got to burn a destruction card just to kill a cow then both of you have used up a card and you've gotten 6 out of it while they've just...not lost anything. The absolute worst case scenario is maybe they throw down a Hawker Healer or a Medic or some other unit that does its business and can then be burned for a couple points. But, even in that case, you've still affected a swing of 7 or 8 and taken a body off their field for one bronze card.

ikillchicken;n8239550 said:
How do you find you're getting countered? My feeling with rot tossers is that they're not really *meant* to actually destroy big value targets. Your opponent is usually going to be able to counter. That's still going to cost them though. If they've got to burn a destruction card just to kill a cow then both of you have used up a card and you've gotten 6 out of it while they've just...not lost anything. The absolute worst case scenario is maybe they throw down a Hawker Healer or a Medic or some other unit that does its business and can then be burned for a couple points. But, even in that case, you've still affected a swing of 7 or 8 and taken a body off their field for one bronze card.

My run with it lately is they are getting boomerang or deflected back at me. Sometimes its nice when they have to burn a lock card on it but its so common now for everyone to have at least two d shacks and cleaver. I never rely on carcass to burn down major units and treat it as a bonus if it does. So id rather fill the seige rows with engineers as i feel im getting more investment back from carrying over our beautiful impera units :)

Another reason i gave them up was when i was running with calveit. Because it requires a lot more precise timing now with the extra turn before cow carcass goes off. Generally you want to run cow tosser before you plan on dumping all your spies. So i feel that forces you to have specific hands and less control of how you want to play your deck. Some cases you have no choice but to play all spys, bring them back and be stuck with rot toss. Because de wett decided to play it or thats your only bronze option from emissaries.

ikillchicken;n8239550 said:
On the downside, Henselt does pose a huge problem now that D Bomb is nerfed. If he gets his ability off before Calveit or Meno you wind up helping your opponent out way too much as he converts half your spies to Gold. You can try and D Bomb your spies (I've learned quickly the importance of placing them together for this reason). But that really just gets you back to being *able* to Calveit or Meno. Meanwhile, you've wasted D Bomb and his Siege Towers still get buffed majorly. Right now I'm thinking, if he really takes over the metagame, I might try out Letho as a counter. I don't play him right now but he's an interesting option. Turn a whole bunch of units into one single Gold that he can't convert. Plus, you can still convert him to silver with Shackles (instead of D Bomb) and call him back or destroy him. Short of that...I dunno. Just try to pull off your big play before he .

Letho is high priority / must have when facing NR gold. I always hold onto him to absorb towers, margart. But just a heads up it is a complete gamble at the moment. Its a known bug that you cant play Letho a lot on your opponent's ranged and seige rows. Its been costing me a lot of games.

The new abilities of the Nilfgaard coming from the last patch are ABSOLUTLY overpowered, need nerf ASAP, the game is becoming unplayable. Too bad, it's such a shame gwent was a great game, now it's way too unbalanced. [h=1][/h]

Bl00dGeist;n8240190 said:
My run with it lately is they are getting boomerang or deflected back at me. Sometimes its nice when they have to burn a lock card on it but its so common now for everyone to have at least two d shacks and cleaver. I never rely on carcass to burn down major units and treat it as a bonus if it does. So id rather fill the seige rows with engineers as i feel im getting more investment back from carrying over our beautiful impera units :)

Well, I do agree with you completely about Engineers. (Although that's again where I like Rots. They're a good way to waste your opponent's lock cards early in the round before you lay down an Engineer later.) It seems like not many people run them (or at least that's been my experience) but to me they're one of the best cards available to NG. They're a great play late round when you've got a significant strength advantage but your opponent still has a few cards and so you're wary of passing. And I think the same principle largely applies as with Tossers. Even if they manage to counter you with a lock, you've both burned a card and you've at least gotten 4 out of it while they just get back to square one. (Even Cleaver basically evens up while costing them a silver to your bronze). The biggest real risk is just if they Igni but you can play around that to some degree. Of course, you can also wait and toss one down after your opponent passes. Generally, continuing to burn cards after your opponent passes is a losing proposition but if for a single card you can carry a majorly buffed unit into the next round its worth it. It's a very nice anti-weather move too. They hit your Impera with frost, you lay down an Ambassador to buff it back up and protect it from being easily destroyed in the short term. Then later you put down Engineer on it. Next round, weather disappears and now it gets its original strength back plus the Ambassador boost.

Bl00dGeist;n8240190 said:
Another reason i gave them up was when i was running with calveit. Because it requires a lot more precise timing now with the extra turn before cow carcass goes off. Generally you want to run cow tosser before you plan on dumping all your spies. So i feel that forces you to have specific hands and less control of how you want to play your deck. Some cases you have no choice but to play all spys, bring them back and be stuck with rot toss. Because de wett decided to play it or thats your only bronze option from emissaries.

I do only run two of them for this reason. Although, you can still use them on the siege row if you've already got spies on the field. In general that seems to be the best place to put them. In my experience decks of all sorts tend to play relatively few siege units but do have certain key ones (like the aforementioned NR Towers, War Longships, Arachas Behemoths, or Hawker Support). But yeah, tripping over your own spies/Calveit combo is the biggest issue with them by far. It does somewhat necessitate either using them very early or very late in the round.

Bl00dGeist;n8242150 said:
Letho is high priority / must have when facing NR gold. I always hold onto him to absorb towers, margart. But just a heads up it is a complete gamble at the moment. Its a known bug that you cant play Letho a lot on your opponent's ranged and seige rows. Its been costing me a lot of games.

Very good to know. Thanks. I hope they fix that soon. I don't actually have a Letho yet (Meno, Vilgefortz and Operator have been my priorities). I guess I'll still get one next. But I'm glad to know what the issues are with the card as it stands.

Bl00dGeist;n8216300 said:
Absolutely love the patch and overhaul. Difference is night and day. I am finding myself needing to bump up a couple of cards because i am thinning it out incredibly fast.

Meno is now an excellent card. Ive been having tremendous success with him.

I know its still beta and things will change but i hope they keep NG the way things are. Finally can compete with a lot more decks.

For Nilfgaard!!

I never utilized rot toss until after patch. Reliant on spotters and reveal buffs. Deck has changed now for the better...for now.

Rot tosser is more of a way to make your opponent burn up cards like d.shackles, cleaver, and (this is the gamble but very low possibility) decoy. Now, if decoy is used and rot is sent your way, either use your Nauzicaa Brigade and eliminate rot or get lucky and find Nauzicaa Brigade using Emissary.

Anyway, I use rot toss when there are several instances on a row or to stop a combo from happening.

Right now with Henselt, I will toss rot either the moment reinforced siege is played or when poor infantry is played (majority of the time opponent will have another instance on hand ready to play) Either one will force opponent to either use promote/Henselt ability or a special card to stop rot card, if possible.

It is so funny how when things change, and peoples' way of playing must change, that it equals a fail in terms of the change and the game is now unplayable....too funny. It is still a great game.

Thanks for the great insight Blood, really good information here, got my brain out of a rut on this deck cannot wait to alter my strategy. The Letho thing is killing me and driving me nuts, seems like if there is a gold card on a row, Letho cannot pass to get where he needs to go in terms of range or siege row....or perhaps it is just random....but it is killing me too!

TurkeySon;n8257170 said:
It is so funny how when things change, and peoples' way of playing must change, that it equals a fail in terms of the change and the game is now unplayable....too funny. It is still a great game.

Thanks for the great insight Blood, really good information here, got my brain out of a rut on this deck cannot wait to alter my strategy. The Letho thing is killing me and driving me nuts, seems like if there is a gold card on a row, Letho cannot pass to get where he needs to go in terms of range or siege row....or perhaps it is just random....but it is killing me too!

We Nilfgaardians have to stick together :)

Because of Lethos gamble of not being able to play on seige and ranged rows ( its not just letho but other cards from factions) ive been going more into defense mode with him. Especially if i can carry the imperas over. When i feel they are getting to high ill have letho take over to protect from scorch and geralt igni.

We all definitely hit those ruts. Sometimes its just bad luck with horrible draws. Other times its just changing how we play cards and utilizing it different than its intended purpose. Recently i did some brain storming and Meno coehoorn was my answer. I have been doing really well with him.

Bl00dGeist;n8259440 said:
We Nilfgaardians have to stick together :)

Because of Lethos gamble of not being able to play on seige and ranged rows ( its not just letho but other cards from factions) ive been going more into defense mode with him. Especially if i can carry the imperas over. When i feel they are getting to high ill have letho take over to protect from scorch and geralt igni.

We all definitely hit those ruts. Sometimes its just bad luck with horrible draws. Other times its just changing how we play cards and utilizing it different than its intended purpose. Recently i did some brain storming and Meno coehoorn was my answer. I have been doing really well with him.

Another smart idea I will have to try. I read your comments on Meno....now I just have to acquire him!!!

Top Bottom