Night City Wire, Episode 01!

+
  1. The world as a whole and objects in it (weapons, characters) don't look futuristic at all. When you read Neuromancer you get the sense of all the cool future things. But in the recent videos it pretty much looks like GTA-5 populated by folks with metal in their faces. Weapons, especially the assault rifle with a hideous kid's chamo akin to CS:GO skins is bad, really bad.
  2. Male V sounds and looks extremely generic, female V in 2018 gameplay vid had more charisma to her.
  3. Music in all three videos was extremely forgettable. Deep Dive had at least one great guitar riff going for it. I assume it was Paul Leonard Morgan's work.
  4. NPC count looks very low. As in Bethesda levels of low.

1. My guess is the quality and technology of the weapons vary depending on their location.

For example, in this screen, what I assume to a redneck living in the poor suburbs of night city wield a traditional 20th century shotgun

cyberpunk2077-the-6th-street-rgb-1593036259400.jpg

In contrast, if the following shotgun doesn't look like it's straight from a sci fi movie, i don't lnow that to tell you

cyberpunk2077-goin-to-the-top-rgb-1593036280728.jpg

2. I think V sounds alright to good. Although I kinda agree that FemV sounds cooler.

3. The characters don't look futuristic at all? Adam Smasher would like to have a word with you.

90a3d57.png

It's obvious that some people have access to more money/are willing to go crazy on the augments, while many others are too poor and don't want to become dark side robocop like this guy above.

"Just metal in their heads" npc
8dc0848.png

3. Completely subjective. I loved the music on the nightclub in the corpo gameplay. The hard rock and pop music in the nomad garage and radio.

4. I agree with this. I wonder why npcs are so few in the streets. Maybe it's because V is roaming in the middle of the night and most people are asleep but in a metropolis like night city you'd think more people would partake in nightlife activities.

Last edited:
3. The characters don't look futuristic at all? Adam Smasher would like to have a word with you.

View attachment 11047973

It's obvious that some people have access to more money/are willing to go crazy on the augments, while many others are too poor and don't want to become dark side robocop like this guy above.

4. I agree with this. I wonder why npcs are so few in the streets. Maybe it's because V is roaming in the middle of the night and most people are asleep but in a metropolis like night city you'd think more people would partake in nightlife activities.

The cyborg to me looks like a carbon copy of this guy from Rage 2.
simone-corso-cross-06.jpg

Low NPC density is most likely to alleviate low performance on PS4 and Xbox One.

Are the designers just being lazy or is this one of the most advanced weapon crafting systems?
(Right click for larger images)

pistolgrip02.jpg

pistolgrip01.jpg

TO add some thoughts to this detailed account after watching NCW E1 and two gameplay vids with no commentary:
  1. Lighting looks flat in some areas.
  2. Pop-in is obvious and draw distance is low as hell in Badlands.
  3. FOV is also low, hopefully there is an FOV slider.
  4. Chromatic aberration is ever-present, hopefully there is an in-game on/off toggle. I could get behind the use of chromatic aberration after using some drugs.
  5. If raytracing is used in the game I haven't noticed it at all.
  6. The world as a whole and objects in it (weapons, characters) don't look futuristic at all. When you read Neuromancer you get the sense of all the cool future things. But in the recent videos it pretty much looks like GTA-5 populated by folks with metal in their faces. Weapons, especially the assault rifle with a hideous kid's chamo akin to CS:GO skins is bad, really bad.
  7. Male V sounds and looks extremely generic, female V in 2018 gameplay vid had more charisma to her.
  8. If techie class (along with the spider things gameplay, sigh) was removed then it leaves you with two? Solo and netrunner? So much for multiple charcter classes (well I guess two counts for multipel nowadays).
  9. Music in all three videos was extremely forgettable. Deep Dive had at least one great guitar riff going for it. I assume it was Paul Leonard Morgan's work.
  10. NPC count looks very low. As in Bethesda levels of low.
  11. Suicide squad aesthetic (over-the-top color barrage when your eye fails to focus on any one specific thing) isn't my cup of tea.

My biggest complaint is probably male V's voice, but he definitely has to have different voices or tones to choose from because he speaks in different ways I have noticed. Some are really eh and some is pretty great. I wish I could know more about that.

I also wasn't a fan of the music but felt (at least for the club seen) it fit.

And yeah, there was low NPC count but I'm hoping that changes

Absolutely loved what I saw in the various clips posted during and after the Wire by journalists.

Small things that I didn't like and hope they will improve before the release:
* The melee combat (both hand to hand and the little bit of swordplay I saw) looked very impactless and floaty
* Driving looked a bit 'heavy' - then again, can't really tell until I try it myself.
* There were far less people on the streets then in the 2018 gameplay (though maybe it's because it was mostly night? Or maybe it's specifically not a busy area?) so it looked kinda barren at times.

What I truly loved from what I've seen:
* The scale and detail of the world - amazing! If the entire city is as detailed as the sections we have seen so far, then I'm amazed and impressed beyond words!
* Gunplay looked very good! Much better then the 2018 gameplay. Weapons looked great and every shot felt impactful - good job!
* Braindance is a great upgrade for Witcher-sense (which was super basic) - I loved the Detroit Become Human approach - and was really excited when they said in the post interview that this mechanic will also be used to look into the past of certain individuals to get some lore about them. (some previewers said that the controls are convoluted and the interface is confusing, but I'm sure you get the hang of it after a few times you use it)

Oh, and something small that I didn't like, but I guess it makes sense in a game like this which is Cyberpunk with heavy emphasis on the "punk" - Everybody sound so edgy and over the top (including the character we play) - I guess it's just how people behave in such a "cool above everything" kind of future. Maybe it will rub on it.

Overall I'm unbelievably impressed - Night city looks somehow bigger and better then the 2018 debut, and I can't wait to just walk around it's streets and immerse myself in this dark future.

I'm actually pretty excited for brain dance, yeah it's been done in Arkham Origins but it was still a fun mechanic so who cares

I agree. A game mechanic doesn't become automatically devalued just because its been used in previous games (if that were true, then FPS games would have died out in the mid-2000's). It is what the mechanic adds to the story that will determine if I like it or not.
Post automatically merged:

It was everything I wanted :cry:
Please, just focus on optimization and no more features. I don't want this to be an eternity project that will never be finished.

I just have couple questions for the next wire or the people doing reviews...

1. Kotaku reviewer said they were only given controllers to play with. My question: how is driving with keyboard and mouse?

2. One reviewer said you can gain a "wanted" status if you perform crimes in at least certain places... can you surrender to the police? Is it a game over state or will you be released (sentence skipped) like in old grand theft autos? Or will you just be gunned down and respawn like in GTA5?

ps. I just dont know if I will be around to play the game when it finally comes out.. It has taken too long.. :giveup:

They already said the game is 100% complete. The next 5 months is nothing but polish (Polish polish, no less) & Optimization.

TO add some thoughts to this detailed account after watching NCW E1 and two gameplay vids with no commentary:
  1. Lighting looks flat in some areas.
  2. Pop-in is obvious and draw distance is low as hell in Badlands.
  3. FOV is also low, hopefully there is an FOV slider.
  4. Chromatic aberration is ever-present, hopefully there is an in-game on/off toggle. I could get behind the use of chromatic aberration after using some drugs.
  5. If raytracing is used in the game I haven't noticed it at all.
  6. The world as a whole and objects in it (weapons, characters) don't look futuristic at all. When you read Neuromancer you get the sense of all the cool future things. But in the recent videos it pretty much looks like GTA-5 populated by folks with metal in their faces. Weapons, especially the assault rifle with a hideous kid's chamo akin to CS:GO skins is bad, really bad.
  7. Male V sounds and looks extremely generic, female V in 2018 gameplay vid had more charisma to her.
  8. If techie class (along with the spider things gameplay, sigh) was removed then it leaves you with two? Solo and netrunner? So much for multiple charcter classes (well I guess two counts for multipel nowadays).
  9. Music in all three videos was extremely forgettable. Deep Dive had at least one great guitar riff going for it. I assume it was Paul Leonard Morgan's work.
  10. NPC count looks very low. As in Bethesda levels of low.
  11. Suicide squad aesthetic (over-the-top color barrage when your eye fails to focus on any one specific thing) isn't my cup of tea.

I have read Neuromancer & played the original CP2020, & the weapons in them are not actually very futuristic (I mean, I love William Gibson, but he had Case selling a few MB of RAM like it was a big deal 😃).

1. My guess is the quality and technology of the weapons vary depending on their location.

For example, in this screen, what I assume to a redneck living in the poor suburbs of night city wield a traditional 20th century shotgun

View attachment 11047967

In contrast, if the following shotgun doesn't look like it's straight from a sci fi movie, i don't lnow that to tell you

View attachment 11047970

2. I think V sounds alright to good. Although I kinda agree that FemV sounds cooler.

View attachment 11047973

"Just metal in their heads" npc
View attachment 11047976

3. Completely subjective. I loved the music on the nightclub in the corpo gameplay. The hard rock and pop music in the nomad garage and radio.

According to several You Tubers who got hands on with the demo, they said that they noticed NPC numbers were about 90% of what we saw in the 48 minute demo. A lot of the game we have seen since has been at night, which would explain lower population densities.

Last edited:
It has been said by people who played the game, that NPC density is connected to time of day, at 3am in the morning it is a lot lower than during other parts.

There are only so many ways to do the look of firearms even with future tech, and as we have seen in previous demo/playthru there are many futuristic type/looking weapons. This was epilogue and 5 hrs into the start of the game, you don't get to start with the best toys you actually have to work for them and to modify things, which has been said over and over and even shown before in the other videos.

Also has been said by those who played, your skills in various weapons and combat increase as you use them and they get better. It seems and looks off because at the start you aren't very good at it yet and you learn more as time goes on, aim and recoil and manuevers all start to increase, but this is the start of the game. it is not COD where players aim matters and everyone has the same gear.

Also explained by those who played it, that there are multiple ways of dealing with situations, and just because it looks like there isn't from 10 min demo doesn't mean that's how it is. A lot of jumping to conclusions that can be easily be researched, in Q&A.

They said the game was 100% complete summer 2019
They never said it was 100% ready, though. They have claimed several times that the game is complete story-wise, as in, quests, the main quest, stuff like that. I imagine that they are busy with either extra content, polishin/optimising or both.

Anyway, they only said that the story was complete. Like, they're not delaying the game for shits and giggles after all.

I'm really scared the game will be dealyed again, apparently it's still a huge mess and crashed several time during playthrough. Also, it ran on a monster PC, mid/low end gaming rigs and consoles owners (like most of the gamers) should be scared.

As someone converted to the thrilling excellence of gameplay by TW2&3, I would trust CDPR with every vitality-bar inch of my life. However, despite this nifty and, yea, exciting Night City Wire episode, I can't help but fear for the ultimate future of Cyberpunk2077.

Each new launch delay brings the potential for the game's no doubt grand and unchained ambitions to be watered down by those who can. An event this big and anticipated is bound to attract massive attention from controlling minds hoping to shape its message to their liking, to reflect the "socially responsible" version of an approved world order by rounding edges, bleaching colour and straightening kinks.
The Witcher series succeeded in no small part by remaining uniquely non-compliant, with a conscience of its very own making that I for one was happy to accept from start to finish. With CP77, each passing month is another chance for toning down viscera, amping up approved issues, and more revisions by worthy committees than Geralt could shake a wavy blade at.
Please prove me wrong, CDPR! Stick to your own advice, don't let the hive-minded Brits hijack your tried and tested morality, and keep it real, not Teflon. And while you're at it, replace Hollie with a more credible host for future NCW episodes - she'll make a super Reality TV reporter but oddly enough had me hit FF a lot in this piece.

I understand your reasons for this latest delay. With my commercial hat on I too would've plumped for a pre-Xmas release in this post-Covid climate. But stacked atop all those previous postponements, the Tower of Dithering is now wobbling alarmingly. Does CP77 look epic? Hell yes it does! In edit. But as for gameplay, feel, overall sentiment, coherence and surprising believability? We won't know until we eventually get to play it. If you trust your fans and slam the door on well-meaning parasites and institutions, odds on this game can still become the next classic. But if you don't - "not good!"

They said the game was 100% complete summer 2019
Wrong, they said the MAIN STORY was complete. All of the stuff around the main story was mostly completed in first Quarter of 2020. Now its just polish & bug fix between here & release.

I'm really scared the game will be dealyed again, apparently it's still a huge mess and crashed several time during playthrough. Also, it ran on a monster PC, mid/low end gaming rigs and consoles owners (like most of the gamers) should be scared.
Care to name anyone? Maybe provide some links? I have seen previews by over a dozen YouTubers. Not one has reported a single crash during their playthroughs, & reported the game ran at 1080p at a near constant 60 FPS. Sounds like you're spouting nonsense.

Wrong, they said the MAIN STORY was complete. All of the stuff around the main story was mostly completed in first Quarter of 2020. Now its just polish & bug fix between here & release.

Care to name anyone? Maybe provide some links? I have seen previews by over a dozen YouTubers. Not one has reported a single crash during their playthroughs, & reported the game ran at 1080p at a near constant 60 FPS. Sounds like you're spouting nonsense.
Video and not in english, for sure. Is that ok? Otherwise you can keep thinking I'm making things up, I'm fine with that as well. :)

That's really concerning then... I never thought that one of the issues could be something like crashing. Though I can't imagine them releasing the game like that, so maybe we will get many more delays :/

That's really concerning then... I never thought that one of the issues could be something like crashing. Though I can't imagine them releasing the game like that, so maybe we will get many more delays :/
It's very common in preview builds, actually. Apparently it's not common that it happens that often for a game due in less than 5 months.

Hmm, I watched Yong Yea's video in which he compiled hours upon hours of previews from tons of journos and not once has he mentioned anything about the game crashing nor bad performances

Several posts deleted due to a massive amount of personal attacks, insults, and general hostility (plus quotes of such posts).
Such behaviour is very much against the forum rules, so please do not do it. Having a problem with someone is not a justification for attacking or ridiculing them.

Top Bottom