Nothing unique....

+
Nothing unique....

My friend and I were avid gwent players and fans of the original game. After both having played the new gwent beta we have both come down to the same conclusions. Every deck is more or less a re skin of each other with very little difference. There is nothing unique about any of the decks anymore that characterises that factions abilities. There are way too many neutral cards so that most decks end up being exactly the same. Furthermore the bleed effects that have been added have ruined the game in our opinion. It is now extremely difficult to formulate any type of strategy with your opening hand as bleeding effects add way too many variables, furthermore it is no longer about making due with your opening hand for three rounds ( not including some exceptions ) but now you can get heaps of cards and the rng has increased dramatically. This means that formulating a strategy is even more difficult. I am a massive Witcher fan and loved the original Gwent. I've had such high hopes for the new Gwent but the product that I see in the beta atm is far from the original. It has abandoned its core philosophy and become every other card game. The reason I loved Gwent so much was precisely that is wasn't every other game. It was new and fresh. I was prepared to invest serious money into Gwent if I felt I was getting my money's worth, but atm it feels like a massive grind with very little rewards. What does everyone else feel about the direction the new Gwent has taken?

Alixus10;n7023960 said:
My friend and I were avid gwent players and fans of the original game. After both having played the new gwent beta we have both come down to the same conclusions. Every deck is more or less a re skin of each other with very little difference. There is nothing unique about any of the decks anymore that characterises that factions abilities. There are way too many neutral cards so that most decks end up being exactly the same. Furthermore the bleed effects that have been added have ruined the game in our opinion. It is now extremely difficult to formulate any type of strategy with your opening hand as bleeding effects add way too many variables, furthermore it is no longer about making due with your opening hand for three rounds ( not including some exceptions ) but now you can get heaps of cards and the rng has increased dramatically. This means that formulating a strategy is even more difficult. I am a massive Witcher fan and loved the original Gwent. I've had such high hopes for the new Gwent but the product that I see in the beta atm is far from the original. It has abandoned its core philosophy and become every other card game. The reason I loved Gwent so much was precisely that is wasn't every other game. It was new and fresh. I was prepared to invest serious money into Gwent if I felt I was getting my money's worth, but atm it feels like a massive grind with very little rewards. What does everyone else feel about the direction the new Gwent has taken?

Gwent couldn't have stayed the same. The old Gwent was vs Ai only and relied on spies, decoys and hero cards. This new version os much more suited for pvp.

You don't get "heaps" of cards, you draw 3 more cards during the match if you go all 3 rounds. That's hardly "heaps" more than the opening hand. If anything, the old spies allowed you to have heaps of cards.

It's not a massive grind at all. Everyday the reward bar resets and no matter what level you are it takes the same amount of wins to gain up to 3 levels. You can earn 1-3 free kegs a day.

How I feel about the current direction? Pretty good and looking forward to new cards, single player mode and everything else they plan to add in the future.

How is every deck the same? Actually I feel like every faction has its own overall identity and strategy that they follow which I really like.

NR can build up some single strong cards with high damage numbers and turn them gold so that they are immune to most counters. They can also go for siege cards that impact each round etc.
Skellige is about weakening your own cards to make some others even stronger. Or they can make great use of their own graveyard and play synergies around that etc.
Monsters use many weather effects and make use of immune monsters to counter the weather on their side. They can also go for maaaany cards with breedings and elixirs to hit high numbers with many lowdmg cards etc.
Scoia'tael make more use of traps and tricks to counter the play of their opponents or try to get a card lead to outplay their opponents with more cards etc.
Just to name some general directions of the decks.

For me those are clearly different from each other and each requires its individual playstyle and theorycrafting to really work. Some might be more op or easier to execute than others (monsters have too many weather synergies and too less counters for it imo) but thats just a balancing issue that can be fixed once the game is released (thats the purpose of a beta :D).

Top Bottom