Now that the dust has settled....

+

What would you like for gwents future?

• Just shut down the game completely

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Homecoming is awesome

Votes: 22 12.2%
  • Bring back beta gwent but with updates, locked rows, and all the new unlockables

Votes: 69 38.3%
  • I would be willing to pay a monthly fee to play the above version rather than have gwent close

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bring back post midwinter gwent

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Hope homecoming gets regular balance patches

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other (leave in comments)

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Add classic gwent to the game selection. Community is already split, everyone wins

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
Now that the honeymoon period of throne breaker f2p (aka homecoming) has passed the community is split. Many original players myself included are baffled by what we have seen, many veterans have left the game as well. Many newer players also realize that this version of gwent is not working as it is very unbalanced. Since this is not a beta it brings fears for the future. I'm leaving a poll as I'm curious the long term thoughts of the community

I hope for a "other" option

Homecoming still need a lot of improvements, yet I feel like the potential of it is far greater than old versions

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Two-Buttons.jpg

None of the options fits. At this point it feels like a mixed bag. I don't think 4 out of 5 poll options are realistic either. Close the game? Return to a past iteration? You cannot be serious.

None of the options fits. At this point it feels like a mixed bag. I don't think 4 out of 5 poll options are realistic either. Close the game? Return to a past iteration? You cannot be serious.
I've added another option. Homecoming has potential but I believe that would require another 2 year beta to find a sweet spot. Right now it's painful to play

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im liking it more now, after exploring some of the new possibilities, but its still a far cry from beta gwent, and i fear no amount of future patches will get it to that level again.

To put it simply CDPR fucked up, and Gwent won't survive long if its left in its current state.
I've seen it before and the pattern is the same here, if you have an extended Beta only to then throw it all out and make a different game, you have failed by default and the game has no future. It has happened with games like DIE, AOEO and others, and they never recovered and eventually shut down; and unless CDPR is willing to sink a ton of $$$ into this mess they created and change key aspect of the gameplay back to what they were, Gwent will go the same way.

If anything is to be salvaged, CDPR needs to go back and remind themselves why it is they decided to make Gwent a standalone CCG in the first place, and why so many people wanted them to take the Witcher 3 Gwent into a full CCG and stay true to that original vision and drive.
Unfortunately at this point after 2+ years of Beta and a complete redesign, I doubt the Gwent team will get the leeway they need from management to bring it all back to what Gwent could have been.

DarkTl

Forum regular
TB is amazing though. And it's recieved well. They can focus on single player card games just fine, even if they shut down multiplayer gwent.

Personally right now I'm a lot more interested in the future of witcher tales than the future of Gwent. Not that I find HC bad, it's just TB is so far that great even after some under-fulfilled potential (which makes the potential of any followup even greater). These days I don't really find a lot of time to invest in multiplayer games anyway, still halfway at the 4th map of TB planning to finally finish it this weekend.

So yeah, clicked 'other' and fingers crossed for more witcher tales!

Last edited:
and yet as of this post, the top choice is to bring back the old Gwent, while the second one is an obvious thing that any CCG dev needs to do.

This poll is not representative at all.

Moreover, regardless of what we want, CDPR will be willing to support HC or shut it down basing on its metrics (online, income, including Thronebreaker sales).

"Bring back beta gwent but with updates, locked rows, and all the new unlockables"
Isn't that exactly what they did?

TB is amazing though. And it's recieved well. They can focus on single player card games just fine, even if they shut down multiplayer gwent.
I love the game play for throne breaker, and the occasional single player events that occurred on holidays. however throne breakers changes dont work for multi-player. I'm fine with continued single player add ons continue in the style of throne breaker. So long as the multiplayer changes to something that works and is actually engaging again
Post automatically merged:

Now that the honeymoon period of throne breaker f2p (aka homecoming) has passed the community is split. Many original players myself included are baffled by what we have seen, many veterans have left the game as well. Many newer players also realize that this version of gwent is not working as it is very unbalanced. Since this is not a beta it brings fears for the future. I'm leaving a poll as I'm curious the long term thoughts of the community
To be clear I'm fine with throne breaker single player, my polls in relation to the multiplayer aspect of gwent. I too hope for more Witcher tales / single player events.
Post automatically merged:

"Bring back beta gwent but with updates, locked rows, and all the new unlockables"
Isn't that exactly what they did?
? With all due respect I'm not sure what game you are playing. And you know exactly what that selection means... Keep the good changes from the update but implement them into the game play of beta gwent. If all these things were done like you say then why is the heart and soul removed from gwent and why is it's beyond boring.? Thousands of hours playing the same un updated gwent and I still was not tired of the game, irritated with people abusing certain decks and cards but a normal patch could have changed this.. Now less than a month into new gwent it's old, lame uninspired and sloppy / broken. Not to mention boring and slow. I want the game to live on but most people I know have moved on already.

Last edited:
So long as the multiplayer changes to something that works and is actually engaging again
Like someone else said, usually games don't survive such things, when in the middle of development devs remake the whole game. So I don't hold my breath.

But of course I can't wait to get my hands on CB2077 or TB2 :)

Gwent to me is like an incredibly beautiful woman who clearly has herpies.

The game has no style, no class any more. The board makeover was so grandiose and unnecessary, the cards are boring as shit now and I despise artifacts.

If artifarts are made equippable, I'll feel like I am playing a poormans mtg and will be glad to see it die a painful death.

I belive that the game has to move forward by capitalizing on new player audience, which will prove as a better income source than the existing player base that already has a good collection.
Less complexity and some degree og RNG might attract new players. Long and complex matches are not suited for players with limited time.
Old player base might voice their concern and require complexity because they are already familiar with this game and its mechanics. However this is a saturated audience that is less likely to spend money compared to a new and engaged players, which this game DEPENDS on in order for it to survive.

This game can be improved by a few twicks such at introducing slightly superior decks with high complexity while having a wide range of simple to use and "fun" decks for new range of players. This can keep old players happy, while attracting new, and hence keep the game flowing from a commcercial view.
I hope that CDPR will be less generous in the future, and instead give players good decks from the very begining which are fun to play, but at the same time makes it difficult/expensive to acquire new and more superior cards, thus forcing new & engaged players to use money.
This creates sunk cost, which makes the new acquired player base less likely to abandon the game. With other words, a less expensive Hearstone commercial model is preferred, in order to ensure this games survival.

All I'm thinking right now is if CDPR was worried about Gwents future after midwinter then I would imagine they feel the same now. I don't see how homecoming has fixed much of anything. I feel like if they would have focused on fixing what we already had we would be much further along than we are now.

DRK3

Forum veteran
HC Gwent is indeed basically a new game.

I was trying to explain to a friend who played in Open Beta, all the changes (text chat). Took me longer than half an hour, and probably still missed a few points... that's around how long it would take to explain a CCG game from scratch, no?

just to clarify..
Bring back beta gwent but with updates, locked rows, and all the new unlockables
so pre June 2017? or just sometime between June and Dec 2017?

Bring back post midwinter gwent
so sometime between Dec 2017 and May 2018?

did people hate midwinter so much that if we could revert to an older version we would revert to before dec 2017? before june 2017? I think midwinter was a big step in the right direction, with a few small steps in the wrong. After the following balancing patches, it was generally pretty okay, and very hopeful for the future. I could never understand all the critics. Think where we might be (or at least where we wouldn't be) if all that feedback was less negative, they wouldn't have pulled out on the open beta to make HC.

I didn't have the pleasure of playing closed beta, I was a console pleb back then. If I could pick a patch to play on it would be on the swap update in May 2018. Even with sabbath, that was the best iteration of the game IMHO. sabbath is easy, either you win by a mile or esc enter, its like the card isn't even real (even though it sure was X.x). I guess I'll be dusting off the ol'Ps4 because I can still play that patch until Dec! yay!

I think this poll would be better if we were voting on which patch was the best to revert to. Or not even seriously propose reverting because there's pretty much no way that's ever happening. But to suggest which patch was the best and therefor best to draw inspiration from for (or even partially replicate in) future development. I'm not playing hardly at all right now because it is unbearable, but you cant deny that it looks very nice. If they fix the game I'd be happy to play with these graphics.

Top Bottom