Olgierd appreciation thread

+
Disclaimer: I'm not saying these cards are competitive or good for climbing. I really doubt they are, in fact, but I really don't care.

I really like both Olgierd cards, especially now that they received a buff each, but there is no thread about them that I can find from the reasonably recent past. So, I made one. :beer:

Olgierd: Immortal is a really good card for decks built for fun and/or quests. He's also excellent in the "Patience is a virtue!" seasonal because control is not very common there due to the mode's RNG nature.

Sure, he cannot be boosted, but the immunity to damage is really valuable. He will even shrug off Rupture, as I confirmed yesterday when someone tried to Tyrggvi him.
Many opponents don't seem to know or fully understand what he does, as he isn't played all that much, so he also provides surprise value.

"Regular" Olgierd is also good for soaking up damage since the Order can be used every turn. You can also inflict damage on him yourself, and then just click the button to erase it. That won me a game once, and the constant healing can definitely be frustrating to opponents without locks, poisons, or ways to destroy the card in one turn since he has a large body.

As a bonus, and while it's most likely common knowledge by now I'll put tags anyway,
playing Olgierd on the Temple of Lilvani board triggers a special effect.

Anyone else a fan of the Olgierd cards?

I don't see why you doubt the competitive value of the 8 for 9 Olgierd Immortal. He seems cut out for those unitless ST decks (or unitless in general). He's like another Saessenthesis, really cool card

I don't see why you doubt the competitive value of the 8 for 9 Olgierd Immortal. He seems cut out for those unitless ST decks (or unitless in general). He's like another Saessenthesis, really cool card

It's nowhere near Saessenthesis, as it's vulenrable in many ways, but sure, it can prove itself useful in certain scenarios.

It's nowhere near Saessenthesis, as it's vulenrable in many ways, but sure, it can prove itself useful in certain scenarios.
How is Olgierd Immortal more vulnerable than Saessenthesis? They have the same ability, but Olgierd is less vulnerable to tall removal.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I posted this on another thread about the deck i played yesterday with Olgierds+Living Armor, i will repost it here
-The 1st was using both Olgierds and Living Armor, to combo with alchemist. Its great that you have alternatives to living armor, which always got Yen Invo or Heatwave, and now you got the Olgierds as backup.
The problem is you can only play Alchemist twice, 3 times with Vigo, its not enough payoff for something that requires so much setup.
The alternative would be to go operator+ spies to copy it, but that will basically take up your entire deck, and for only 1 round
Nilfgaard has easy access to many multiple 3pt units, so if you use alchemist with one of the Olgierds, the alchemist plays as 8 for 4, which isnt bad, but not good enough to build a deck around it, with such limited access to alchemists.

Also, regarding the comparison of Olgierd Immortal vs Saessenthesis, the major advantage saessenthesis has is being untargetable by Heatwave, which is a very prevalent card in the meta... BUT, on the other hand, Olgierd Immortal has many little advantages over Saessenthesis too:

it will tank random damage from SK pings, tridam infantry and trebuchet pings, from weather and row effects, from random bleeding by bloodmoon, from any damage traps, ... basically everything that is indirect damage that could affect Saessenthesis.

How is Olgierd Immortal more vulnerable than Saessenthesis? They have the same ability, but Olgierd is less vulnerable to tall removal.
You can remove it with Heatwave, poison, doom, you can steal it with Philippa for 8 coins or with Invocation. Saessenthesis cannot be targeted by any of the above. That's what I mean by saying it's more vulnerable.

Yes, Saesenthessis is better than Immortal because Immunity is much better than a mere immunity to damage. But Neutral cards are supposed to be weaker than faction cards.

so if you use alchemist with one of the Olgierds
I actually did that once, when the seasonal gave me a random Alchemist (I'd pulled my Immortal with some tutor). I think the other unit was a 1 or 2, too, so it was a good combo. :D

Never really tried Olgierd cards, although I really enjoyed playing Hearts of Stone.

I think there's room for more lore-inspired interaction between Ethereal and Olgierd.

Everec, the real
E.the.real

Gotta say Olgierd Immortal is pure Gold against Arnaghad, just encountered someone using the Sukrus Arnaghad Combo, but since I was playing a Selfwound Deck i could play my Cards next to my own Sukrus until he filled that row with Sirens (PF) in his final Round 2 turn thinking Arnaghad would now kill my 2 remaining Cards for a 2:0 but Immortal plus 2 heal points from the location was enough for me to win that round :ohstopit:.

Top Bottom