On weapon carry capacity, concealment and small arms

+
Finally reached 10 posts, so now I can at long last get a feel for where the community stands on a feature that is really important to me. :)

One thing I greatly appreciated in the PnP was the very logical approach to inventory management, especially regarding weapons. All weapons had a concealment rating of either P (pocket), J (jacket), L (long coat) or N (not concealable). This would create a natural limit to what type of equipment you would bring and allowed assault rifles to be truly dangerous pieces of kit. You could fit as many P items as you had pockets, a couple of J items under a jack, a long-arm under a trench coat and/or a bazooka in plain sight. Walking around with large amounts of highly visible weaponry would make you effective in combat, but not allowed anywhere near civilized society. Even in the uncivilized parts of the city, a minigun on your back meant that every ganger on the street knew what was up and word would get round quickly to groups packing similar firepower. Same thing with bodyarmor - wear too much and everyone would know you were trouble.

The devs have already said that there will be some sort of carry limit, but I hope this aspect of risk/reward with carrying heavy weaponry around will be represented. Otherwise, if you kan keep that minigun in your pocket without anyone noticing, there is no incentive to bring anything but the biggest gun/sword you can. And a lot of cool clothing would have to compete with full suits of armor. You could make the two equal in ability (so pistol = minigun for DPS, samurai jacket = kevlar for armor), but that would be a very gamey solution.

For "heavy" weapons, I always liked the way LA Noire handled it. Here the police had handguns, but the police cars would have a shotgun/tommygun in the trunk. It was not something you walked around with at all times, but it was available if the situation called for it. This also allowed the game to put you in situations where you walking into a situation with a handgun and hand to scramble back to your car for something bigger when a routine search turned into a mobster shootout. In the Cyberpunk PnP it is stated that many people keep most of their possessions in their car or on their person. Since we already have a very thought out vehicle system, letting us store "big" items in the trunk seems an obvious choice.

Finally reached 10 posts, so now I can at long last get a feel for where the community stands on a feature that is really important to me. :)
what is this 10 points you talk about?

and good post. i wonder how CDPR implement this. but everything they add will cost more time and they have a deadline now....

i think it is the same as Deus Ex icw clothing. at least.. i hope..

ps. if you are dutch. know that 'kan' and 'can' is almost the same ;)

The devs have already said that there will be some sort of carry limit, but I hope this aspect of risk/reward with carrying heavy weaponry around will be represented. Otherwise, if you kan keep that minigun in your pocket without anyone noticing, there is no incentive to bring anything but the biggest gun/sword you can. And a lot of cool clothing would have to compete with full suits of armor. You could make the two equal in ability (so pistol = minigun for DPS, samurai jacket = kevlar for armor), but that would be a very gamey solution.

Not necessarily. The incentive would be the player's play style and how they would want to approach a mission. I personally wouldn't carry a minigun if my character is spec'd for primarily hand to hand combat, or stealth combat.

I'd love such system or something like deus ex HR (very limited inventory) but I don't really think it's what we're gonna get. The most likely scenario is something like TW3: very big expandable inventory, full of weapons, armors and crafting junk.

I'd love such system or something like deus ex HR (very limited inventory) but I don't really think it's what we're gonna get. The most likely scenario is something like TW3: very big expandable inventory, full of weapons, armors and crafting junk.

if that is true then why is there an armory where you can select your weapons and a war-drobe where you can select your outfit?

One thing I greatly appreciated in the PnP was the very logical approach to inventory management, especially regarding weapons. All weapons had a concealment rating of either P (pocket), J (jacket), L (long coat) or N (not concealable). This would create a natural limit to what type of equipment you would bring and allowed assault rifles to be truly dangerous pieces of kit. You could fit as many P items as you had pockets, a couple of J items under a jack, a long-arm under a trench coat and/or a bazooka in plain sight. Walking around with large amounts of highly visible weaponry would make you effective in combat, but not allowed anywhere near civilized society. Even in the uncivilized parts of the city, a minigun on your back meant that every ganger on the street knew what was up and word would get round quickly to groups packing similar firepower. Same thing with bodyarmor - wear too much and everyone would know you were trouble.

To resume my opinion after having the same answer on a lots of topics: Won't happens, too complicated.
Will probably have a slot based inventory and that's it, and at best your stealth skill will be used for that, but nothing that elaborated will end up in the game.

Im
if that is true then why is there an armory where you can select your weapons and a war-drobe where you can select your outfit?
n the media thread there's a video of yongyeah where he explains how the inventory looked like in the e3 demo. There's the only info we have.

In last year's demo V had 4 weapon slots under the tab "equip"
Next to it there was a tab called "backpack" where all the non equipped stuff was.

ps. if you are dutch. know that 'kan' and 'can' is almost the same ;)

Danish actually, so not too far off. ;-)

Not necessarily. The incentive would be the player's play style and how they would want to approach a mission. I personally wouldn't carry a minigun if my character is spec'd for primarily hand to hand combat, or stealth combat.

You can always choose to handicap yourself "because style", yes, but working around a broken system should not be the go to solution over just fixing the system instead. If you are focused on melee combat and a katana fits down your pocket just as well as a dagger, why would you not carry the biggest sword you can find? If the bouncer at that fancy club doesn't bat an eye when your berzerker shows up decked in full riot gear, why wear regular clothing?

The classic PnP arguement was that the gameplay optimal solution was to always wear a full helmet, even while sleeping, to avoid sudden death from headshots. This breaks the "rule of cool", so the referees guide pushed the concept that the more combat ready you look, the more attention you get (of the wrong kind).

In last year's demo V had 4 weapon slots under the tab "equip"
Next to it there was a tab called "backpack" where all the non equipped stuff was.

4 weapon slots does not sound unreasonable, at least as long as its not 4 miniguns. If it is like 1 long-gun, 2 mid sized weapons and a pistol, it both allows some weapon variety, but still some hard choices to be made about what you carry. Still, I would like the world to react to a guy strolling down City Center with a small artillery piece strapped to his back.

The video is here, but I have no idea about the timestamp for the inventory.
14:36

He says inventory looks like this:
1561015921710.png

Danish actually, so not too far off. ;-)

You can always choose to handicap yourself "because style", yes, but working around a broken system should not be the go to solution over just fixing the system instead. If you are focused on melee combat and a katana fits down your pocket just as well as a dagger, why would you not carry the biggest sword you can find? If the bouncer at that fancy club doesn't bat an eye when your berzerker shows up decked in full riot gear, why wear regular clothing?

The classic PnP arguement was that the gameplay optimal solution was to always wear a full helmet, even while sleeping, to avoid sudden death from headshots. This breaks the "rule of cool", so the referees guide pushed the concept that the more combat ready you look, the more attention you get (of the wrong kind).

4 weapon slots does not sound unreasonable, at least as long as its not 4 miniguns. If it is like 1 long-gun, 2 mid sized weapons and a pistol, it both allows some weapon variety, but still some hard choices to be made about what you carry. Still, I would like the world to react to a guy strolling down City Center with a small artillery piece strapped to his back.
As long as the Gatlin gun is not foldable in my jeans pocket

Nice topic, I think inventory management can be a neat mechanic that makes you more involved and needs thought.

I like the limited space options that all the DX games and Resident Evil 4 had. Your idea of storing stuff in the car is good as long as it's not like the saddle in RDR2.

I don't want to have to go to the boot/trunk every time I get out the car. Once I have chosen what's in my inventory, I want it there all the time. Going to the car should just be to change my default loadout and it'd be a cool way to avoid driving/fast travelling back to your apartment.

I don't want to be able to carry all weapons, Doom style. I like the idea of thinking about the mission I'm about to undertake, think about the enemy types and whether it's best to go non-lethal or lethal, and then select the tools for the job. Armour piercing gear for top-security types, emp's for mechs/robots, shotguns for squishier enemies that prefer getting close, etc,. If an area is going to have large spaces, a sniper rifle, if I'm expecting lots of small rooms and corridors something for close quarters.

If you choose the wrong equipment? Improvise...or, I guess, re-load a save, choose differently and enjoy the satisfaction when you fare better after your changed tactics.

Yeah, it would be nice to leave your stuff at home like Witcher 3 had stashes except all over the world. Stashing and even displaying weapons in your room and clothes in wardrobe similar like it was in 2018 demo.

But using cars trunk for it? I don't know...

Top Bottom