Other games and Cyberpunk 2077: what could latter borrow from them?

+
Mefris;n10010821 said:
Yes,it would add both of those things.The problem is that you can't add another completely different combat system midway through development.A feature like this needs to be conceptualized at the beginning of development because everything in the world needs to be built with it in mind.Interior assets need to be placed in such a way to work for both isometric and FPS/TPS play.Exterior assets need to be designed to accommodate issometric view because you'd be able to see things you normally wouldn't from a TPS/FPS perspective.You would also have to make a system like in XCOM where,depending on camera position,floors,walls and any other objects in the environment become translucent so you could actually see what you are doing.Fog of War has to be added to the issometric view to properly portray what the player can see and interact with.There would have to be two different versions of the UI,two distinct ways of targeting abilities and so forth.All that in a huge world and for an optional feature that is used just for combat.
Yep, while it's of course possible to add a different combat system it's not something anyone in their right mind wants to do for all the reasons mentioned above.
So do I think CDPR is going to actually make such a change at this late date?
Highly improbable.
But, there's always expansions and follow up games (assuming CP2077 doesn't for some reason flop).

Sardukhar;n10010941 said:
I think (nearly)all Solos should have skinweave. Much less stupid idea and I can heartily defend it. I won't, though, because I prefer my prey VULNERABLE.
Not sure if I agree.
While, of course, the extra protection is nice I'd think it would make first aid (and even medical aid) more difficult.
A Solo IS going to get hurt eventually, no one can dodge the bullet forever.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10011831 said:
But, there's always expansions and follow up games (assuming CP2077 doesn't for some reason flop).

God, please don't say that. My expectations are already as low as I can physically make them. But if it were to flop, not only would that suck big time for us as players, it would suck for CDPR as a company. They've invested years of time and money into this project, if it doesn't pay off, they may be tempted to sell the company or go a shadier, greedier route.

But that's an unlikely hypothetical (both the game flopping and the scenario I just mentioned). Even if CP2077 isn't the god among video games that some might want, it will probably do as well as, or better than, the Witcher 3 in terms of sales. The fact that cyberpunk is making a comeback thanks to the new Bladerunner film and a number of indie games (The Last Night, for one) and a few shows gives 2077 good sales potential on genre alone. A promising E3 showing will help, too.

Anyway, one major thing I want CP2077 to learn from other games...

Good performance and optimization.

The Witcher 3 performed quite well by default, but when Blood and Wine came out, you could tell CDPR really hit their stride. The game runs f***ing amazing for me in Toussaint, I regularly push 110 FPS (Which, yes, is very noticeable vs 60 if you have a 144hz monitor), and I love it. That's not even with "PC GAMURR MASTER RACE"-level specs. I have a last-gen mid-range video card and I can make the game look and play great. I don't play on console, but I can only assume it extends to them as well - especially if anyone has the Xbox One X, which I hear is the best-performing console on the market right now.

Smooth gameplay is very important to me, and it always has been - even before I built my PC. I'm hoping CDPR takes the lessons they learned with Blood and Wine and implements them into 2077.

I'm sick and tired of games releasing with horrendous optimization that never gets fixed. The Batman games, Dishonored 2, and many others all come to mind. I mostly trust CDPR to get this right, but it's always a concern in the back of my head. I don't expect to be running it on Ultra with my hardware (I still have a 970, can't afford to upgrade with the bitcoin mining craze) but I do want to be able to run it smoothly on lower settings.

Graphics and performance don't trump good gameplay, but they can really hinder your experience, too.

Snowflakez;n10014441 said:
God, please don't say that. My expectations are already as low as I can physically make them. But if it were to flop, not only would that suck big time for us as players, it would suck for CDPR as a company. They've invested years of time and money into this project, if it doesn't pay off, they may be tempted to sell the company or go a shadier, greedier route.

I do not think the worst case to expect is worse than something along the lines of "Witcher 3 with guns and somewhat expanded RPG gameplay". Obviously, chances are good that CP2077 would be better, but even that scenario would not be so bad as to make the game flop.

Good performance and optimization.

This will likely be a priority, from what I have seen, if there is something that really ruins the user review scores of a game on PC, it is bad optimization and bugs. Critical acclaim and good reception by the community are apparently important to CDPR, this is a difference compared to other companies that only care about short term profit even if it comes at the cost of damaging their reputation.

Last edited:
Hrm. Last game that came out of the gate not needing patches?

Or serious patches?

Not needing serious patches, off the top of my head was Divinity Original SIn 2 - I think that was pretty good from the get go.

The last game not needing any patches? Can't think.

And Witcher series has -always- been bug-heavy. Always. It's one of the areas CDPR lags in. Their stuff is good enough they've dodged the bullet in reviews, but every game to come out has had framerate issues, shadow issues, pop-in issues, you name it.

So I sure -hope- they borrow from other games that needed less patching...like, I dunno...Overwatch?, outside balance....but history is, they'll have some major issues on release.

Sardukhar;n10015981 said:
Hrm. Last game that came out of the gate not needing patches?

Or serious patches?

Not needing serious patches, off the top of my head was Divinity Original SIn 2 - I think that was pretty good from the get go.

The last game not needing any patches? Can't think.

And Witcher series has -always- been bug-heavy. Always. It's one of the areas CDPR lags in. Their stuff is good enough they've dodged the bullet in reviews, but every game to come out has had framerate issues, shadow issues, pop-in issues, you name it.

So I sure -hope- they borrow from other games that needed less patching...like, I dunno...Overwatch?, outside balance....but history is, they'll have some major issues on release.

I really don't care about bugs - someone else mentioned that, not me. Bugs are inevitable, and honestly, I wouldn't even want all bugs to disappear because they can often be pretty damn funny.

Its poor performance and optimization that I despise, especially if it never gets fixed - as is becoming all too common in the AAA industry. Look at Arkham Origins, publishers came right out and said they were too busy working on DLC to fix the performance problems. There's no excuse for shipping a game in such a poor state that it can't run on even top-end systems and then never fixing it.

On release, TW3 ran fine for me. Not perfect because its such a demanding game, but fine. As I said, Blood and Wine was even better. So I have no reason to think CDPR will screw it up, but it's still a big no-no for me.

I also bought TW2 on release, and had no performance issues with it either. I'm surprised to see you mention FPS issues as a problem for CDPR. All the reviews I saw for TW3 in particular mentioned gameplay-related bugs, never performance.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

sv3672;n10014791 said:
. Critical acclaim and good reception by the community are apparently important to CDPR, this is a difference compared to other companies that only care about short term profit even if it comes at the cost of damaging their reputation.

When they include "Thank You" notes with the physical copies of Witcher 3, call it great PR but I thought it was quite nice to see. I hope they do more of the same if not more for Cyberpunk 2077 in the future, not reason to doubt they will. Reputation seems to priority #1 with CDPR, even when they release bits of information for people's concerns about the studio, and its no where near the amount of people it would take for other companies to even consider acknowledging their audience. And a relatively small group of reddit, twitter and forum users compared to the amount of people they want to buy this game, and they still hear us. That's badass in my book.

BeastModeIron;n10018141 said:
When they include "Thank You" notes with the physical copies of Witcher 3, call it great PR but I thought it was quite nice to see. I hope they do more of the same if not more for Cyberpunk 2077 in the future, not reason to doubt they will. Reputation seems to priority #1 with CDPR, even when they release bits of information for people's concerns about the studio, and its no where near the amount of people it would take for other companies to even consider acknowledging their audience. And a relatively small group of reddit, twitter and forum users compared to the amount of people they want to buy this game, and they still hear us. That's badass in my book.

Yeah, one thing I've never doubted is that CDPR are sincere individuals. They care about their fans and the quality of their games. They could be making a lot, lot, lot more money if they didn't, but they do.

Snowflakez;n10017971 said:
I really don't care about bugs - someone else mentioned that, not me. Bugs are inevitable, and honestly, I wouldn't even want all bugs to disappear because they can often be pretty damn funny.

While it is not realistic to expect a large and complex game to be completely bug free, if the bugs are bad enough to detract from the player's enjoyment of the game, then they do negatively affect the reception. That means things like frequent crashes, or worse, having to replay large parts of the game because of quest bugs that make it impossible to complete them, or save corruption (which, if noticed late enough that the last clean saves are overwritten, may require replaying the entire game). In the case of TW3, I remember encountering the inventory freeze bug on the day of release, but it was fortunately patched almost immediately. However, the game was generally stable otherwise, and the bugs usually not of the serious type that cause loss of progress.

Minor glitches, pop-in, etc. are not much of an issue (at least for me) if they do not happen too often.

Last edited:
cyrexuque;n10031011 said:
И что, киберпунк этот планирует запускаться вообще?
Это английский подфорум, кликни на флажок в углу и поищи русский или пиши на английском.
Sardukhar;n10031231 said:
По английски пожалуйста.
Твои владения гугл-переводчиком хуже моего английского, хватит. :wat:

Last edited:
I do not understand a word of it without Google Translate, but it is a fun conversation nevertheless.

Top Bottom