Overheating Issues

+
Game is not the issue when we talk about cpu utilization and temp.
Whatever heavy program you launch on cpu side is gonna give you that temp.
Make sure that you have applied the right ammount of thermal paste, the heatsink is well mounted or get an aftermarket one.
Air circulation is also well important, on PC, best scenario is to have 2 fan in-take and 2 out-take.

Clean dust off heatsink,gpu ecc... should be done depending on the ammount of dust filer you have, (if you have), but once every 6 months should be ok.

Guest 4478408

cpu overheating should NEVER happen, no matter what. there is an issue with your cooler. could be its just the fan control set in your bios, could be an issue with thermal conductivity.
in any case, its not the fault of the software that triggers the overheat.
prime95 is a good programm to test for cpu thermal stability.
Post automatically merged:

Hi I have a brand new MSI GL65 with i7-10750H, DDR4 16 GB, RTX 2070 Super .
The CPU reaches 85-90 Cº instantly (10-15 mins playing) even in low graphics settings with the CPU and GPU fans running at 6000 rpm.

The laptop can handle ultra with rtx on and dsll on at 50-60 fps and I get the same temperatures. I tried differente games on ultra an is never passing 70 Cº. The laptop is brand new so no dust problems on fans.

------- *** a picture showing the temps, etc.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
the machine might just be designed this way. indeed the performance of many laptops is limited by their cooling solution.

I don't think updating the drivers for the gpu are mandatory for getting it to actually kick the gpu on. Simply because I am now installing a new update for my 1070 that wasn't there yesterday. My GPU has still worked as intended. The overheating I came across was with my ryzen 5 3600 that still rocked a stock cooler. Pushing a respectable 103 degrees celsius.. and widening my eyes at that number made me panic and wait for my new cooler. My 1070 only ever hits 61 C..

The game is CPU intensive as there is a fuck ton of things being loaded at all time.. but I did notice when the CPU was overheating.. the GPU was stopping itself.. So maybe there's insight there.. I dunno.

Looks like disabling turbo boost with Throttlestop works for me. Managed to down temps 20º C and the performance is almost the same. Give it a try, thanks for the tips to all of you.

Last edited:

Guest 4478408

keep in mind though: you are severely limiting the performance of your machine if you do that. modern cpu (as well as gpu) are designed this way - low base clock + high boost clock - to reach a higher performance when the thermals allow this.
when the temperature goes up the clockrates go down. this generally is a good thing.
severe throtteling (below base speed) should only occour when there is something wrong with the cooling of your machine. in extreme cases of overheating can result in shut down of a computer.

now, if you are on a laptop there is very little you can do to improve thermals, but if your laptop fails to maintain its base clock with maxumum cpu and gpu load over longer times, you should contact the manufacturer.

if its a full sized desktop or tower, cooling is much more easy because they have much more room for cooling. in this case, increasing the cooling ability often is the most effective way to increase performance. with adequate cooling cpu and gpu shold be able to maintain their maximum boost even during long times of full load.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that disabling turbo I'm limiting the performance but the game runs identical in ultra, with and without turbo. I'm testing other games like alien isolation, gta 5, rainbow six siege, and performances is not dropping a fps but the temps drop is huge, amazing.

Top Bottom