Patch Notes 11.4

+
Nearly a month after its release, I wanted to share revised impressions of the Claw and Dagger card drop.

In general, I am please that CDPR has reversed the trend of insane power creep that has plagued the game since the Master Mirror expansion. What ever other criticism I might offer, this change is appreciated.

NG — none of the four cards are really playable — at least not if you want to enjoy the game. None of the cards themselves are binary , but only because they are weak: they are uninteractive; they promote Kolgrim (which IS highly binary, a remove or lose type card); they support clog (which is also binary in that it makes a decent round one draw crucial). On the whole, I give them a D-.

NR — cards that, as a whole are disastrous for the game. Drakenborg is a binary nightmare with 95+% of games determined solely by the presence or absence of Heatwave in the opposing deck. And Sigismund is useful only with the atrocious Drakenborg. In fairness, the bronzes are interesting cards but are completely dominated by the annoying garbage. On the whole, a clear F — only because Z is not in the grading system.

ST — All I really have to say is that a card drop that bolsters Simlas (which is already excessively powered) is not a good drop. Heist is highly attractive for a binary Waylay meme deck, and Telianyn gives elf decks a potentially absurd tempo boost — albeit at the potential cost of a critical round three card (which really makes it too random). Backup Plan is reminiscent of (and, except in handboost decks, interchangeable with) Bountiful Harvest. But I will grant that Trickster is a nice card — potentially a bit OP in some decks for four provisions (but ST needs better variety in good bronze cards). Still, it alone is enough to salvage a D for the drop.

SK — I haven’t really tried these yet. (Since I am generally an SK fan, this is hardly a ringing endorsement, but it is somewhat due to my being highly drawn to the new MO and SY cards.) The gold cards are interesting, but for an archetype I don’t believe is viable. The bronze cards seem overpriced, but I haven’t really searched for a usefulness. I will give this one a B.

MO — I haven’t been a fan of Insects, but these cards entice me to play them. Although I haven’t yet put together the right deck, the cards encourage me to keep trying. Actually, I am glad they are not so OP as to make a great deck obvious, and I am enjoying building new skills with types of cards I don’t generally use. All four cards are unique and interesting. I will give these an A.

SY — SY also gets a nice drop. A mere four cards have successfully created a new, “spendthrift” archetype that is surprisingly successful and fun to play — this from a person who usually does not enjoy the faction. This drop has enabled what may be my all time favorite deck. I am surprised to see no one else playing them. A clear A.

Top Bottom