Performance hitching and stuttering

+
Bcs i'M lacking 10 posts, i schould use this thread for posting a problem, i have with the wichter 3 next gen. :)

Hi,

my PC (7800X3D) with 64 GB Ram and a 4080 has seriuous issues with stuttering and fps drops. UEFI and GPU drivers are up to date.
I play at 1440 with all ultra settings and i have normaly 130+ fps (in Velen or Oxenfurt, doesn't matter), DirectX 12 with Raytracing and all this fancy stuff, the next gen was made for. VSynch is off.

But, the fps aren't constant. They are fairly regular falling down to 85, go up to 130 again, fall down to 75 in seconds as if the game would need to load graphics or whatever.
This wouldn't be a problem, if these 75 fps would feel like 75 fps.
But in these seconds the game reacts as if i had 3-5 fps and not more. In battles this means usually death (playing deathmarch).
And the fairly regular is the problem here.

So, has anyone a good and hopefully correct answer, why this is happening?
I would alsp appreciate it, if someone can give me a answer or advice, what i could do beside from using D11 to get a constant fps rate.

The max heat my gpu gets is 45° Celsius, my cpu is never going above 65°.

Post moved!

For now, I'd be patient and wait for some patches. The next-gen updates introduced a menagerie of performance issues for lots of folks. (This is not really unexpected when making under-the-hood changes like that to older rendering systems to incorporate features that didn't even exist when the graphical engines were created.) Work is ongoing, and the devs are addressing issues as they go.

In general, though, this sort of performance instability is normally mitigated or rectified by ensuring the game remains in sync with your hardware. Especially if you're seeing performance issues on lower settings, the problem is not processing power -- it's balance. Something in the game or hardware is getting ahead of something else. That's where this sort of hitching comes from.

My general rule of thumb is: overhead.

Figure out what level of performance your machine seems never to fall below. So, if I see dips from 144 FPS down to 75 FPS -- cap the game at 72 FPS. I recommend disabling vsync (enabling Gsync or FreeSync if available) and choosing a frame cap that is divisible by 8. You want to leave performance overhead available so that if the system suddenly needs to pull, it has what it wants available. When you run at 100+ FPS normally, that means the PC has to hit the breaks when things pick up. That's when you'll see stuttering and FPS drops. (Note: this can happen multiple times per second. It will feel staggered and jittery.)

Smooth gameplay is the result of consistent FPS...not high FPS. If you're one of those players that can't deal with 60 FPS because anything below 120 FPS is just unplayable, reality is now knocking. CP2077 is unlikely to run like at those speeds until the next generation of hardware is released. According to everything I know, the target goals were 30 FPS on console and 60 FPS on PC at 1080p (with 1440p being possible higher end PCs). I recommend you give it a try -- once your eye and brain adjust, the lack of fluctuation between high and low FPS will start to feel noticeably smoother.

The largest consideration aside from capping frames is your resolution. Especially if you're using ray tracing, maintaining performance becomes orders of magnitude more difficult as the number of screen pixels increases. Very often, if I'm running a game at 1440p, medium-high settings, with okay performance, dropping it to 1080p with full ultra settings will give me better performance. Though I may need to run it in a window.

I'm still going to reiterate my original point, though:
The game is being worked on, and there are definitely some issues with the way the graphics are working. While the above may help to rectify the issues or make it better for now, there are no guarantees. You may simply have to wait until drivers and patches sort things out.

Hi,

thx for the reply.
I'm not connecting my hardware ego to fps, so i have no problems with 60fps. Played several years at this "limit" and never had an issue with it.

Also it has to be said, if you "bring out" the game with all these fancy options, they should work. They work in cyberpunk, so CDR has the ability to proper implante them in their games, why not in the witcher.
And if there are problems with implementing them, they should have waited. I mean, have they learned from their CP77 console disaster?

I bought my pc components 2 months ago, they are up to date for 4k very smooth playing in cyberpunk (with constant at 100 fps, also i'm playing it at 1440 bcs it is enough for me) and similar games, they should handle the much older witcher 3 at 1440. and i'm "only" playing at 1440.

I tried it with putting vsynch on at 72 fps and the jumpings have greatly reduced. Only after entering the inventory and getting back to the world map, it sometimes jumps down to 30 fps and then back to 72 but this is ok and only a matter of 1-3 seconds.

The points made here all confirm my own opinion that there should never have been a “next gen upgrade” for a 7 year old game. I have a strong system (3070) but even then the game feels more unwieldy than it ever did before. People don’t expect games made 10 years ago to get upgrades like this, they expect the studio to make new games that keep up with the times. CDPR is heading to a point where it seems they’re saying, “Remember when we were cool?”

I get your point, but i have to say, Witcher 3 is one of the best games created so far in the rpg genre.
It has a (proper implemented) upgrade earned.

It feels like game devs are breaking their games to help Nvidia sell more cards.
I love that I paid for a 3080 and I can't even get 100fps at 1080p

Hey Mythraelis,
You can try changing the Shader Cache Size in the Nvidia control Panel. It's in Global Settings under Manage 3D Settings. I enabled 100GB. My games load fast for the longest time now.

Top Bottom