FPS issue and questions about it

+
Hi,

my PC (7800X3D) with 64 GB Ram and a 4080 has seriuous issues with stuttering and fps drops. UEFI and GPU drivers are up to date.
I play at 1440 with all ultra settings and i have normaly 130+ fps (in Velen or Oxenfurt, doesn't matter), DirectX 12 with Raytracing and all this fancy stuff, the next gen was made for. VSynch is off.

But, the fps aren't constant. They are fairly regular falling down to 85, go up to 130 again, fall down to 75 in seconds as if the game would need to load graphics or whatever.
This wouldn't be a problem, if these 75 fps would feel like 75 fps.
But in these seconds the game reacts as if i had 3-5 fps and not more. In battles this means usually death (playing deathmarch).
And the fairly regular is the problem here.

So, has anyone a good and hopefully correct answer, why this is happening?
I would alsp appreciate it, if someone can give me a answer or advice, what i could do beside from using D11 to get a constant fps rate.

The max heat my gpu gets is 45° Celsius, my cpu is never going above 65°.

It's a CPU threading issue causing one or two threads to max out at 100% while the rest are doing basically nothing. Once a thread hits 100% it bottlenecks and can't feed the GPU with information fast enough to keep the FPS up. You may find the game runs better if you limit the FPS to 60 which will keep the main CPU thread from banging off 100%. Or just turn off Ray Tracing which makes the CPU threading issue even worse. This game plays perfectly fine at 60 FPS, it's a third person story driven game not a first person competitive twitch shooter. 60 FPS with zero stutter is better than 100 FPS with stuttering

The max heat my gpu gets is 45° Celsius, my cpu is never going above 65°.
I can buy the 65*C for the CPU, but the heat capping at 45*C sounds totally wrong. That sounds like your PC is not using it at all. That's idling temperature.

In Nvidia Control Panel, go here, select the pull-down menu circled, and ensure that your 4080 is actually being recognized and used:
1687699593005.png

don't know why you would need more than 60 fps in this game but the issue your are descibing has been reported by every player since the next get update dropped
basically the game is not making use of multi core cpu's properly and therefore there are alot of moments it will stutter

I can buy the 65*C for the CPU, but the heat capping at 45*C sounds totally wrong. That sounds like your PC is not using it at all. That's idling temperature.

In Nvidia Control Panel, go here, select the pull-down menu circled, and ensure that your 4080 is actually being recognized and used:
View attachment 11356336

That's likely not going to help in this instance. The CPU is bottlenecking because the game does not multithread properly and once you bottleneck the CPU your GPU will be underutilized because it can only go as fast as the information the CPU feeds to it. If the CPU is bottlenecked and only feeding 70 FPS to the GPU then the GPU will only run at 70 FPS even if it is capable of much more. Since it is not being fully utilized then it is going to run cooler because it's not working as hard. A cooler than normal GPU is a classic symtom of a CPU bottleneck limiting performance

When you have a GPU bottleneck the opposite will happen, the GPU will run hotter and the CPU will run cooler than normal because the CPU isn't working as hard as it could. It can feed more frames to the GPU but the GPU is unable to process more than it already is.

That's likely not going to help in this instance. The CPU is bottlenecking because the game does not multithread properly and once you bottleneck the CPU your GPU will be underutilized because it can only go as fast as the information the CPU feeds to it. If the CPU is bottlenecked and only feeding 70 FPS to the GPU then the GPU will only run at 70 FPS even if it is capable of much more. Since it is not being fully utilized then it is going to run cooler because it's not working as hard. A cooler than normal GPU is a classic symtom of a CPU bottleneck limiting performance

When you have a GPU bottleneck the opposite will happen, the GPU will run hotter and the CPU will run cooler than normal because the CPU isn't working as hard as it could. It can feed more frames to the GPU but the GPU is unable to process more than it already is.
I doubt it -- not the type of temperatures you're seeing. A bottleneck may starve a card under load, but the temps you're looking at are unused. The 4000 series cards will pull enough voltage to hit the 70*C mark under even under extremely light load. You're seeing idle temps.

If what you were saying were true, then all players would be seeing that sort of issue across the board. The game is managing threads the way it always has, and it definitely runs on Radeons. I have no issues with either TW3 or CP2077 running on a 5600X and a RTX 3060, ray-tracing on. Whatever is happening is a system config issue. It could be a specific issue with the CPU, certainly, but right now, it seems that something is preventing the game from using you GPU at all.

I think what you're seeing is the game running exclusively off of the CPU. That would definitely account for the outrageously low GPOU temps and the wild FPS fluctuations in-game. I know of one other instance where that has occurred. Ensure that Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling is ON in Windows, and ensure that the CUDA cores are set to ALL.

If the game was running off the CPU no way would he be able to get anything close to 130 FPS in any scenario.

The reason his GPU temperatures are so low under a light load is the 4080 has a way oversized heatsink made to cool the 4090 and under 100% load seldom go above 65C. You have a 450 watt heatsink attached to a device that maxes out at 320 watts. It's even more ridiculous on a 4070 TI which also uses the slightly smaller heatsink despite not using any more watts than the 3070 TI did (275 watts) and thus could be cooled by the considerably smaller 3070 Ti heatsink

Last edited:
If the game was running off the CPU no way would he be able to get anything close to 130 FPS in any scenario.

The reason his GPU temperatures are so low under a light load is the 4080 has a way oversized heatsink made to cool the 4090 and under 100% load seldom go above 65C. You have a 450 watt heatsink attached to a device that maxes out at 320 watts. It's even more ridiculous on a 4070 TI which also uses the slightly smaller heatsink despite not using any more watts than the 3070 TI did (275 watts) and thus could be cooled by the considerably smaller 3070 Ti heatsink
Not true. I'm referring to another member who managed to run the game around 80 FPS with ray tracing disabled. (If you're using ray tracing, then that's the final word on that. But I'd like to rule it out.) Especially Ryzen CPUs are beginning to universalize on-chip 3D graphics. They won't be anything near what a dedicated GPU can accomplish, but their performance can be surprising.

Besides, whenever we troubleshoot something, we can't just jump to conclusions that, "It can't be this or that..." before we actually test it. It takes 15 seconds to bring up the menu and ensure the CUDA setting is "All" or "RTX 4080".

Other possibilities are going to be much more problematic by nature. If it's not the above, then we're into issues with the system config: drivers, installation, file system, hardware conflict, etc.

Top Bottom