Personal top 3 most fun cards before Homecoming

+
Before this Gwent becomes a hazy memory, what were your personal Top Three Most Fun cards? That is the cards you felt contributed most to the fun you had playing Gwent.

For me it was;
Vilgefortz - I liked the toolbox aspect, that you could plan far ahead with him and get rewarded or burnt
Nekkers - trying to swat down the swarm as it grows, but also countering a Nekker based Consume deck by balancing the power in the rounds was very satisfying.
Ciri Nova - I enjoyed the 'wider' decks that she required, which tended to mean you had to think on your feet more and form tactics as you play.

This wasn't actually the list I expected when I thought of the thread, interesting what came to the front when I looked through the cards

1. Shupe's Day Off: Shupe is the best, that's all there is to it. I built all kinds of wacky decks around him, none of them viable in Ranked.

2. False Ciri: I hardly ever played at high ranks, so opponents very often failed to deal with her, or forgot about her Deathwish. A lot of fun to play, and won multiple rounds, even games, for me.

3. Edit: Sorry, Roach, but I forgot about Ihuarraquax. Comboed with Stefan Skellen, he was tons of fun to play -- and no one ever saw him coming. Along with False Ciri (I had both of them in the same deck :D ) he's the card I will miss the most.

Last edited:
1) I also have to go with Shupe as No. 1. Never managed to get higher than rank 20 with Dagon Shupe (I lack patience...), but it made playing against tier 1 decks much more enjoyable.

2) The Johnny into Wolfsbane combo is also kinda fun because you never know what you'll get instead ;).

3) Ronvid, just because the card perfectly captures the character from the game :D

1) Ciri Dash, in the old days I liked to strengthen the card as much as I could, playing Discard or Mulligan decks. Usually, I enjoy cards that require the player to work to increase their value. Ciri:Nova once you put her in your deck is a lot of points, Ciri Dash you have a long way to go if you want to increase her value.

2) Toruviel, my favourite card in Close Beta. I lost quite some game against her...

3) Dun Banner, Aye aye sir! ;)

DRK3

Forum veteran
(...)

3. Edit: Sorry, Roach, but I forgot about Ihuarraquax. Comboed with Stefan Skellen, he was tons of fun to play -- and no one ever saw him coming. Along with False Ciri (I had both of them in the same deck :D ) he's the card I will miss the most.

Love Ihuarraquax too, and i used him on NG obviously, but this week i decided i wanted something challenging and tried a SC handbuff + Ihuarraquax... man, what a pain in the rear, to put him exactly at 12 so it triggers instantly, took me like an hour of tries, then when i finally get it at 12 on one match, the guy has a savage bear who ticks the damn Ihuarraquax before the effect triggers... Rage.

On my favourites:

1) Xarthisius - not very used, but i love the mindgames it causes, i can almost feel the opponent's nervousness, after making him feel more exposed than with regular NG (hand) reveal.

2) Harald Houndsnout - still love this guy, even though by now most people know how to counter the skull that spawns a bear.

3) Caretaker - stealing from the opponent's graveyard, never get tired of it... Yesterday stole a 26 pt soldier he buffed all match.

Ihuarraquax and shupe are probably my top two. I think the challenge of deck building with them both, and they both give great pay off when you can nail it! The unicorn was not always viable on ranked though :cry:

Ihuarraquax is one of my favorites too :)

I found he works really well with Aguara. You can either keep him as a finisher and boost him in hand with Aguara, or - if you like to gamble - you can play him and then boost him with Aguara. In the first case, just make sure he's the last unit you have - in the second, make sure he's the lowest on your side of the board.

And since both are neutral cards, they can go with any faction. I'm a ST player so I had quite a bit of fun making various Eithne decks with these guys.

I also love Trial of the Grasses, especially when you pair it with Geralt:Igni after a successful burn.

Ahh and playing Milaen three times in a row, with Decoy and Eithne...

I feel like 80% of the fun in this game is in deckbuilding. That feeling when you make up a bomb a** deck all by yourself and you take it out for a spin and it just kills anything, it's... indescribable lol

1. Shupe's Day Off: Shupe is the best, that's all there is to it. I built all kinds of wacky decks around him, none of them viable in Ranked.
1.) SHUPE! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Best card in the game IMO.
2.) The second iteration of Isengrim back when he created a neophyte every time you played a spell.
3.) I'm also gonna vote Aglais, mostly because I think she's probably my favorite premium card as far as look of the art goes.

Love Ihuarraquax too, and i used him on NG obviously, but this week i decided i wanted something challenging and tried a SC handbuff + Ihuarraquax... man, what a pain in the rear, to put him exactly at 12 so it triggers instantly, took me like an hour of tries, then when i finally get it at 12 on one match, the guy has a savage bear who ticks the damn Ihuarraquax before the effect triggers... Rage.
I played ST Ihuarraquax Ciri Nova a lot, the only way to reliable pull him always was Francesca + Royal Decree ;)

1. Assire; hands down my favourite card
2. Sweers; I didn't play Sweers very often, but man, that satisfying feeling when he destroys 6+ Nekkers...
3. Toruviel; just the amount of funny situations this card has brought me made it worth playing Scoia'Tael

3. Sihil: all that careful setup before the reap
2. Crow's eye: you just gotta love a 27-pont Triss: TK finisher (never got greedy enough to add Renew to the mix :))
1. Ciri: Dash: you have to work really hard to make her work (shoutout goes to Ele'yas and Dol Blathanna Sentries as well)

1.] Bork when he used to scorch twice, made for some fun mind games knowing he's on the board and counting down 3 turns.
2.] Original Shcirru when he were an ambush card. Would negate a special activated by either player and scorch the opposing highest non gold unit(s).
3.] More recent I'd say Shupe fun adventure.

Geralt: Aard
DB Marksman (or whatever they're called now)
Quen - assuming it's not coming back :(

Not sure if a movement archetype like that will exist with only two rows. But anyway looking forward to trying new things. :)

Last edited:
I'll go in chronological order here:

1) Poor *beep* Infantry - my selfmade NR swarm was my one of my first semi competitive deck and I had a ton of fun with it. I love the card art and I love cards that spawn copies of themselves.

2) Cerys - It just gave me joy whenever she jumped out of the graveyard, right along with Olgierd and Morkvarg. I also liked how she was basically a gold you could see in pretty much every round. I truly miss the version of Gwent where she was competitive.

3) Usurper - The leader is just super fun and gives you very interesting options sometimes.

Honourable mentions would be Kaedweni Revenants, Uma and Cahir.

1) Field Medic - the open Beta version that shuffled cards back into the deck and replaced them by other cards from the deck. It often resulted in having a more than 30 point play thanks to those.
2) Dol Blathanna Bowmen - in constrast to alll other engines that either damage a random/target enemy or boost self, the bowmen were really unique by damaging the moved target. Also without removal those bowmen become hell for the enemy. There is nothing more fun to set up 3 Bowmen and double Pittrap and then use Nivellen at the remaining enemy row to reduce the enemy from 50 points to 0.
3) Ves - Ves coming out when a trio was completed was extremly cool, in particular with Blue Stripes, except for a Gigni eleminating the whole row for 35 points.

1. Priscilla v.123432! It was sometime before the Reavers, DJ, Nenneke etc deck became a thing ( until then, nobody was playing DJ because it was too RNG! Oh, the irony ). I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like:
Priscilla 4 str. : after 2 turns buff 4 allies by 3 and return to the deck. So, Priscilla, Avallac'h, DJ and Gaunter: play Priscilla a million times! :D And then, only after a week or so, they changed the card again and ruined my "Radovid's Circus" deck...
2. Morenn before the nerf ( still salty about this ).
3. Immune Villen and Yen-Con.
4. Pavetta and Milva.
5. In the more recent meta, where every card spawns or tutors 10 more cards, Hawker Smuggler. Wrecking GSs without even disrupting their engines!
6. .....

Damn, so many fun cards dead... RIP Gwent.

Top Bottom