Pillars of Eternity

+
Suddenly I'm excited for this after seeing the launch trailer, which has the nostalgia feels in overdrive. An unabashedly old school fantasy RPG with writing on par with CDPR's? Yes please. I've been wanting to get into an Obsidian game given their cred. Hopefully it's not buggy and is a success. So glad they went with real time/pause.

Also, look at that sexy UI.

Last edited:
Been waiting for PoE all year long. Recently started Grimrock 2 though, and I'm hooked. What am I supposed to do now? I guess put Grimrock on hold.

Been waiting for PoE all year long. Recently started Grimrock 2 though, and I'm hooked. What am I supposed to do now? I guess put Grimrock on hold.

Brew some more coffee and finish it. You still have about 3 days left. :animier:

Will I play in bighead-mode? Better not, prolonged rofling will complicate playing unnecessarily. :huh:

If you're not that far into it anyway (measured by how many [highlight]power gems[/highlight] you've acquired or [highlight]fused together into one of the elemental essences[/highlight] thus far) then I'd definitely put it on hold. It's not like you will be completely taken out of the story and have a hard time getting back into it because there isn't much of a (compelling) story in Legend of Grimrock II to begin with.
Remembering the last puzzle or riddle you were trying to solve before shelving it for an extended period of time could cause you some trouble though. I'd try to solve and wrap it up as much as possible. If all else fails you can still put a custom mark on the map with a descriptive note as a reminder where to pick up again.

Or you can try and continue with LoG II alongside starting PoE. That's doomed to fail though. I tried the same with a concurrent ongoing playthrough of Wasteland 2 and just had to temporarily shelve one to properly finish up the other.

Brew some more coffee and finish it. You still have about 3 days left. :animier:

I think I will apply myself and get as far as I can. It's actually really entertaining, hard to put down. But PoE is PoE.

If you're not that far into it anyway (measured by how many [highlight]power gems[/highlight] you've acquired or [highlight]fused together into one of the elemental essences[/highlight] thus far) then I'd definitely put it on hold. It's not like you will be completely taken out of the story and have a hard time getting back into it because there isn't much of a (compelling) story in Legend of Grimrock II to begin with.
Remembering the last puzzle or riddle you were trying to solve before shelving it for an extended period of time could cause you some trouble though. I'd try to solve and wrap it up as much as possible. If all else fails you can still put a custom mark on the map with a descriptive note as a reminder where to pick up again.

Or you can try and continue with LoG II alongside starting PoE. That's doomed to fail though. I tried the same with a concurrent ongoing playthrough of Wasteland 2 and just had to temporarily shelve one to properly finish up the other.

That's a good point. I've had problems before picking up an old saved game in cRPG's but Grimrock is so straightforward, each locale is like it's own minigame.

I'm at the:

underground ruins (Desaure?) and have already crafted two elemental essences (fire and earth). Last thing I did was kill some kind of ice elemental and find a fireball scroll.

I assume that's like a third of the game? By the time PoE comes out I might be halfway through the game. Guess I will do as you suggest and reach a point where I can simply stop. And write down my progress somewhere.

I actually take notes on the map (I think it's fun) and I'd appreciate some form of journal where *I* (the player, not the characters) can write things down. I know I can use real paper, but it'd be nicer to have it all in-game.

In any case, it's been a while since I had to choose between playing two games I actually like.

That's a good point. I've had problems before picking up an old saved game in cRPG's but Grimrock is so straightforward, each locale is like it's own minigame.

I'm at the:

underground ruins (Desaure?) and have already crafted two elemental essences (fire and earth). Last thing I did was kill some kind of ice elemental and find a fireball scroll.
I assume that's like a third of the game? By the time PoE comes out I might be halfway through the game. Guess I will do as you suggest and reach a point where I can simply stop. And write down my progress somewhere.

I actually take notes on the map (I think it's fun) and I'd appreciate some form of journal where *I* (the player, not the characters) can write things down. I know I can use real paper, but it'd be nicer to have it all in-game.

In any case, it's been a while since I had to choose between playing two games I actually like.
A third sounds about right, if you still have the [highlight]Cemetery[/highlight], the [highlight]Pyramid of Umas[/highlight] and what's [highlight]beyond the Ruins of Desarune[/highlight] in front of you.

From what you're describing it sounds like you just entered the latter, however wrapping up this location('s upper floor) - or at least most of it - until Thursday shouldn't be completely out of question. I'm not spoiling too much when I point out that there's one kind of abstract puzzle on this floor that requires some out of the box thinking and could possibly slow you down quite a bit in the process. It's not necessary for progressing but if you're a completionist you might just want to put the game on hold right there.

Another snippet of the 'Road to Eternity' documentary:

RPS is totally not breaking any review embargoes:
“But John!” you cry, “I want to watch them to get an idea of whether I want to buy the game!” Ah, well, like I said, I’m not able to tell you at this point if THE GAME IS REALLY GOOD or not. So you’ll just have to continue not knowing if IT’S DEFINITELY WORTH GETTING for a couple more days.
:lol:

A third sounds about right, if you still have the [highlight]Cemetery[/highlight], the [highlight]Pyramid of Umas[/highlight] and what's [highlight]beyond the Ruins of Desarune[/highlight] in front of you.

From what you're describing it sounds like you just entered the latter, however wrapping up this location('s upper floor) - or at least most of it - until Thursday shouldn't be completely out of question. I'm not spoiling too much when I point out that there's one kind of abstract puzzle on this floor that requires some out of the box thinking and could possibly slow you down quite a bit in the process. It's not necessary for progressing but if you're a completionist you might just want to put the game on hold right there.

I reached a puzzle with:

a spider trapped in a cage, teleports, and pressure plates. A bit confusing.

I am past that now and fighting some slimes and an ice elemental. That's the second floor I believe, of the ruins level. I'm hoping I'll be able to just wrap it up in the ruins, go back to the island and put on hold there.

I have a break coming up though, so I'll nerd it up real good.

I reached a puzzle with:
a spider trapped in a cage, teleports, and pressure plates. A bit confusing.
Not the 'abstract' one I meant, but quite a bitch to solve as well.

I am past that now and fighting some slimes and an ice elemental. That's the second floor I believe, of the ruins level. I'm hoping I'll be able to just wrap it up in the ruins, go back to the island and put on hold there.

I have a break coming up though, so I'll nerd it up real good.
I'd try to keep it to the first floor of the Ruins, finish up as much as possible there and then wrap it up. No getting around a few detours to the lower levels for some puzzles though, if I remember correctly.

Things are happening over at eternity.obsidian.net.
No sign of keys or backer exclusive extras yet though.

Still no word on what digital edition your KS or Paypal pledge includes, but CE tier backers apparently are eligible to the Royal Edition no less.
Nice.

As a digital CE backer ($50) I received a key for the Champion Edition. The rest of the bonus items apparently will appear separately directly in the Obsidian account.

Top Bottom