Playing Classic RPGs

+

Guest 2091327

Yah, another BG playthrough! :)

Did my de-virgining of BG some months back, and oh boy are you up for one hell of a ride!! :)

I played through both games with a multi-classed mage/thief, which was great fun, but like Corylea says, you won't get the really high level spells as early as a pure-ish character. Dualling from for example fighter at level 7 to mage isn't such a huge deal, because you don't need a crapton of XP for that, and there are literally millions when you get into BG2. But if you multiclass, meaning both classes get an equal amount of XP, this will become more of an issue.

Most important tip of all, is to NOT READ WALKTHROUGHS!

This is a way too special game to allow yourself the risk of getting spoiled about major events (be careful about reading earlier pages of this thread for example), so please try to approach the game as "green" as you can. The experience will be more fun for it. If you love it and want to play through it several other times, then you can power-game a bit more and look for the small details in the game's nooks and crannies.

It's in times like with this game I wish the Men In Black memory eraser device existed.

Guest 2091327

WardDragon said:
Thanks :)/> I decided I'll do a normal Paladin (no dual-classing) and then once I get a mage in the party I'll be able to cast spells anyway :D/>

I've gotten through Chapter 1 and so far I like my character. However I bought a sword and then it broke while fighting the illusion monsters during my training. Is there anything I can do to prevent my weapons from breaking? Or do they just break from time to time?

And also, I maxed my strength out and it says 18/83. What does the /83 part mean? />

:)

Was waiting for that question. It always comes :D

It's part of the story, which you will learn more about as you go forward. From time to time normal weapons can break. Magical weapons, like Longsword +1, will not break. Until you get your hands on one of those, it might be wise to keep a backup sword, axe, whatever in case the first one breaks. I believe there is a 1% chance each hit, so it CAN (and as you have seen, WILL) happen once in a blue moon.

WardDragon said:
And also, I maxed my strength out and it says 18/83. What does the /83 part mean?
Strength is weird. Other stats go from 18 to 19, but strength goes from 18/01 to 18/00 (that "00" is short for 100, so you could think of 18/00 as 18/100) and THEN to 19. So, 18/83 is a very good strength score for this point in the game.

Strength affects several things in (A) D&D, as you can see in this chart [1]. STR 18/83 is just fine for the entire saga. Remember there are magical items and uh... situations, that can improve your basic attributes.

Essentially, what happens is that strength is subdivided into finer discrete categories between 18 and 19. The second number (as in 18/51, 18/83, 18/00) is a number between 1 and 100 that determines in which category your strength falls. As you can see below, 18/83 is in the third category (76-90), giving you 185 lbs. carrying capacity, +5 damage adjustment, etc.

[1] http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/adnd_tools/str_table.htm

Pangaea said:
:)/>/>

Was waiting for that question. It always comes :D/>/>

It's part of the story, which you will learn more about as you go forward. From time to time normal weapons can break. Magical weapons, like Longsword +1, will not break. Until you get your hands on one of those, it might be wise to keep a backup sword, axe, whatever in case the first one breaks. I believe there is a 1% chance each hit, so it CAN (and as you have seen, WILL) happen once in a blue moon.

A few characters have already mentioned an iron shortage, and the wizard guy I met on the road wants to investigate the mine to see what's wrong, so I'm guessing that's why all the swords are crappy :p/>

As far as the world map works, can I only fast-travel to nearby locations? At first I thought it was like Torment, but it seems that I'm very limited in terms of which locations I can go to.

Pangaea said:
Strength is weird. Other stats go from 18 to 19, but strength goes from 18/01 to 18/00 (that "00" is short for 100, so you could think of 18/00 as 18/100) and THEN to 19. So, 18/83 is a very good strength score for this point in the game.

Pangaea said:
Strength affects several things in (A) D&D, as you can see in this chart [1]. STR 18/83 is just fine for the entire saga. Remember there are magical items and uh... situations, that can improve your basic attributes.

Essentially, what happens is that strength is subdivided into finer discrete categories between 18 and 19. The second number (as in 18/51, 18/83, 18/00) is a number between 1 and 100 that determines in which category your strength falls. As you can see below, 18/83 is in the third category (76-90), giving you 185 lbs. carrying capacity, +5 damage adjustment, etc.

[1] http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/adnd_tools/str_table.htm

Ah, thanks for the explanation :D/> My character is probably not that good overall (I didn't have the patience to keep re-rolling so I took the best one that I got this morning). I have the BGT mod installed so I was able to pick a specialization. I'm a Cavalier Paladin with these stats:

Strength: 18/83
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 17

I definitely know this isn't a power-build, but I wanted to make sure that I haven't made a character incapable of completing the game(s) :)/>

(Edit: And I wanted to lower the charisma to raise the other stats, but it wouldn't let me since I'm a Paladin )

WardDragon said:
Ah, thanks for the explanation :D My character is probably not that good overall (I didn't have the patience to keep re-rolling so I took the best one that I got this morning). I have the BGT mod installed so I was able to pick a specialization. I'm a Cavalier Paladin with these stats:

Strength: 18/83
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 17

I definitely know this isn't a power-build, but I wanted to make sure that I haven't made a character incapable of completing the game(s) :)

(Edit: And I wanted to lower the charisma to raise the other stats, but it wouldn't let me since I'm a Paladin

That's a better roll than what I got the first time I ever played BG :p

Charisma is a primary attribute of paladins, so it must not be lower than 17. Strength is huge, same as constitution. You made a very resilient, ground-shattering, charismatic cavalier! She/He's a little clumsy (DEX 11), but who needs reflexes when you can take anything that comes your way? :p Don't worry, you can overcome that with items, magic, etc. Remember BG is party-based. You are not alone.

What's your character's name?

Volsung said:
That's a better roll than what I got the first time I ever played BG :p/>/>

Charisma is a primary attribute of paladins, so it must not be lower than 17. Strength is huge, same as constitution. You made a very resilient, ground-shattering, charismatic cavalier! She/He's a little clumsy (DEX 11), but who needs reflexes when you can take anything that comes your way? :p/>/> Don't worry, you can overcome that with items, magic, etc. Remember BG is party-based. You are not alone.

Hee hee, thanks :D/> I was a little worried about the low dexterity, but I also didn't want to play a "stupid" character so I wanted my intelligence to be at least 10 :p/>

Volsung said:
What's your character's name?

Her name is Jessie :) I also figured out how to use a custom portrait so that she doesn't look like one of the other NPC's (I figured I'd get confused easily if two people had the same face :p)

WardDragon said:
Her name is Jessie :) I also figured out how to use a custom portrait so that she doesn't look like one of the other NPC's (I figured I'd get confused easily if two people had the same face :p)
I think they change the NPC's portrait if you use one of those. I have a friend who used Dyanheir's portrait, and the Dynaheir in her game had a different face.

Corylea said:
I think they change the NPC's portrait if you use one of those. I have a friend who used Dyanheir's portrait, and the Dynaheir in her game had a different face.

Ah, that makes sense :D I'm still glad I figured out how to get a custom portrait though. Jessie is a character I created a long time ago and one of my friends got an artist to draw her, so I used that picture for her portrait and I'm happy to see her in-game

I cropped it down to the face for the in-game portrait, and it stands out due to the white background so it's easy for me to see which one she is at all times :p

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/jessiesmall_zps1d098003.jpg

One piece of advice: Minsc is many people's favorite NPC. He can seem a little strange at first, but I recommend taking him on; he has some adorable lines, plus he's pretty damned useful, too. You won't really have experienced Baldur's Gate if you haven't had Minsc in your party. ;)

Corylea said:
One piece of advice: Minsc is many people's favorite NPC. He can seem a little strange at first, but I recommend taking him on; he has some adorable lines, plus he's pretty damned useful, too. You won't really have experienced Baldur's Gate if you haven't had Minsc in your party. ;)/>

Thanks :D I do remember him from my ill-fated attempt to play the game many years ago. I somehow went in completely the wrong direction, found Minsc, ran around like a headless chicken trying to do his quest because he said it was timed, got lost in the woods, and kept getting killed by a bear until I gave up and uninstalled the game :p

This time I'm actually paying attention to the main quest and where I'm supposed to go, so I'll probably have less trouble with meeting enemies that are too powerful for my level. I do intend to ditch the evil thief and/or wizard for Minsc once I find him. The evil thief is already complaining about me helping a little old lady, so he's going to be a problem sooner or later. May as well get rid of him before he causes trouble :p

Corylea said:
Have you been to the Friendly Arm? You might make some friends there. ;)/>

Yes, I'm there right now. I just met Khalid and Jaheira :D My party is currently full, which is why the evil guys are getting the boot as soon as I find some nicer NPC's to take with me :p

There's a nice easter eggs regarding Jaheira and Khalid when you find a certain cursed belt...

I would raise a bit dex too, 11 is a little to low for me. Dex not only affect throwing weapons damage but the CA too (CA=class of armour. In BG, the lower it is, the more well defensed you are).

About Torment: Charisma is the key value in that game. It also affects the amount of xp you gain in quests. Char 20 allow you to enhance your character faster and it's terribly important in P:T (there are a few fights in that game. But those few are extremely difficult!)

I think DEX 11 is OK for a paladin, and you can improve your armor class with better armor i.e. plate or full plate, which the paladin can wear proficiently. There are items that can raise your attributes, so I wouldn't worry too much.

secondchildren said:
There's a nice easter eggs regarding Jaheira and Khalid when you find a certain cursed belt...

I found a weird gender-changing belt. Is this what you mean? Should I be evil and mess with my party members? :p

secondchildren said:
About Torment: Charisma is the key value in that game. It also affects the amount of xp you gain in quests. Char 20 allow you to enhance your character faster and it's terribly important in P:T (there are a few fights in that game. But those few are extremely difficult!)

I recently completed Torment :D I started Baldur's Gate afterwards because I was still in the mood for an RPG of that style. So far I like Torment better because the story was more involved (it felt like every few minutes I was finding another clue or bit of backstory) whereas so far most of my play-time with Baldur's Gate is clearing the map killing things and looting containers (I played most of today and I'm up to chapter 5 where I have to go to Cloakwood Forest). I'm surprised because I was expecting it to feel like Torment but instead it reminds me more of Diablo. I like both Diablo games though so that's not a bad thing (Diablo 3 doesn't exist ).

secondchildren said:
I would raise a bit dex too, 11 is a little to low for me. Dex not only affect throwing weapons damage but the CA too (CA=class of armour. In BG, the lower it is, the more well defensed you are).

secondchildren said:
I think DEX 11 is OK for a paladin, and you can improve your armor class with better armor i.e. plate or full plate, which the paladin can wear proficiently. There are items that can raise your attributes, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for the advice :D I found some magic gloves that raise my dexterity to 18 as long as I wear them, and I just got a set of plate mail, so my armor rating is -1 :D I also did Minsc's quest and found Dynaheir, so now my party consists of me, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen and Dynaheir. So far I'm happy with all of the party members so I think I'm going to stick with this party for the rest of the game.

secondchildren said:
Oh, do tell! (Put it under a spoiler tag, please.) I haven't seen this, and I'd love to hear about it.

secondchildren said:
Are you sure you're remembering correctly? I thought Wisdom was the all-important stat in P:T. Wisdom (and sometimes Intelligence) get you a lot more dialogue options, and a high Wisdom gives you a bonus to experience points.

secondchildren said:
I recently completed Torment :D I started Baldur's Gate afterwards because I was still in the mood for an RPG of that style. So far I like Torment better because the story was more involved (it felt like every few minutes I was finding another clue or bit of backstory) whereas so far most of my play-time with Baldur's Gate is clearing the map killing things and looting containers
There IS no other game like Planescape: Torment, sadly. Lists of the best stories in games usually have Torment at #1.

Baldur's Gate is said to have a better story than most RPG's of its era, but you're right that there's a lot of monster-killing in between snippets of story. But it does grow. You start off with "Why does everybody want me dead*" and then start to learn why...

You said you'd been to the Friendly Arm, so you've run into at least one assassin by now. There will be more... ;)

WardDragon said:
I'm surprised because I was expecting it to feel like Torment but instead it reminds me more of Diablo.

You... didn't... say... that. You just didn't! AARRGHHH!!

Keep playing. Diablo and Baldur's Gate are light years away. There is no hacking and slashing in BG, and character interactions and narrative both play a major role. The only thing they have in common is their medieval fantasy setting, but BG is based on a well established franchise (Dungeons and Dragons) with piles of lore to back it up. There are many references to the Forgotten Realms all over the place, and later on even to Greyhawk (as in Torment, Lum the Mad is referenced in BG2).

BG is not as flexible as Torment, but it is very rewarding. The exploration, customization and interaction are all great in my opinion.

Oh and by the way, PC + Minsc + Dynaheir + Jaheira + Khalid + Imoen are what I consider the canon party. Even if I don't really like many of them, heh.

Corylea said:
Are you sure you're remembering correctly? I thought Wisdom was the all-important stat in P:T. Wisdom (and sometimes Intelligence) get you a lot more dialogue options, and a high Wisdom gives you a bonus to experience points.

Yeah, Wisdom was the most important stat. I had my Wisdom and Intelligence as high as possible. Charisma I had at 16, but I had a tattoo to raise it 2 points if I needed to (I think 18 is the highest that was necessary for conversations).

Corylea said:
There IS no other game like Planescape: Torment, sadly. Lists of the best stories in games usually have Torment at #1.

Yeah. Now that my annoyance over the ending wore off, I really appreciate how good the game was overall and I miss it already.

Corylea said:
Baldur's Gate is said to have a better story than most RPG's of its era, but you're right that there's a lot of monster-killing in between snippets of story. But it does grow. You start off with "Why does everybody want me dead*" and then start to learn why...

You said you'd been to the Friendly Arm, so you've run into at least one assassin by now. There will be more... ;)/>

Okay, I do intend to finish the game of course, so I guess I'll just have to wait awhile longer for the story to pick up.

Corylea said:
You... didn't... say... that. You just didn't! AARRGHHH!!

Sorry Let me explain more what I meant. Diablo 1-2 pretty much consists of enter new area, run around until the fog of war is gone, kill anything in the way, loot all containers and bodies, compare stats to see if new equipment is better, sell rest at town. Torment had very little of that, whereas (at least at the beginning so far) Baldur's Gate has a lot of that and not much story compared to Torment. That's what I meant when I said it reminded me more of Diablo than Torment (I wasn't saying it's identical to Diablo :p).

Corylea said:
Oh and by the way, PC + Minsc + Dynaheir + Jaheira + Khalid + Imoen are what I consider the canon party. Even if I don't really like many of them, heh.

Cool, I'll stick with this party then :D

Got to agree with you Ward Dragon, there wasn't much meat on the bones of the wilderness areas in BG1, I suppose that might have been intentional to simulate the "wilderness" aspect but in my mind they could have put a bit more content into them without disturbing that aesthetic. Still there are quite a few interesting points scattered around.

Top Bottom