Please, add more traps.

+
For those who are unaware, there has not been a new trap added to the game since the Crimson Curse expansion, which add a single Treant Mantis Stalk. No traps were added in the Novigrad, Iron Judgement, Merchants of Ofhir, or Master Mirror expansions.

More crimes have been added, more nature cards, and 6 artifact scenarios but no traps. I understand that the leader ability "deadeye ambush" was changed, but at least add a few more with differing triggers...especially more timed (crushing trap) or indefinite duration traps like Mahakham horn.

For example,

When an opponent plays a card that cost 10 provisions or more, transform into X.
When 3 units or more units are on an opposing row, summon Y from your deck
Resurrect the next unit your opponent destroys
When your opponent would destroy an adjacent unit, destroy this trap instead
If you win this round, spawn a random trap from your graveyard and set it. If you lose this round, this trap gains resistance.

Sure, some of these are broken, but the point is they don't just deal damage or destroy units and they aid in the mind games you can play with opponents, which is what made Gwent such a good game in earlier builds. Plus, Traps makes the play 20 or 40 artifacts quests an actual enjoyable exercise.

I would love if every faction had some trap cards, but getting the Gwent team to make just 1 new trap within Scoiatel would be a miracle almost as divine as those regular balance patches updates they fail to keep monthly.

Unfortunately I doubt they are going to add more traps. With the change to Bomb Heaver, Frezied D'ao and other cards, artifacts (and therefore traps!) have become uninteractive.

More crimes have been added, more nature cards,

It's easy to add crimes / nature / warfare / tactic / raid / wild hunt cards. They follow the same logic. It's just another tag. But traps? Well, I think, traps are hard to balance.

Let's hope the devs will add more traps, but I woundn't bet on it.

Traps pose an excellent opportunity to make artifacts more interactive: e.g. a trap that destroys the next artifact played. It can make specials more interactive in the same way: the next special card played has no effect. These are probably not balanced, but most of the problem is with the fact that scenarios are inherently imbalanced

there are tremendous creative opportunities for traps if the developers would work on them.

ya1

Forum regular
[...]

trap that destroys the next artifact played

Let's think of a name... How about "Bomb Trap"? Or maybe "The Heaving Trap"? ;)

But seriously, yeah, op is right. Traps were broken once. Something was changed so that woudn't be. And since then just about nothing changed. Not even the loading screen text "Watch out for ST traps" lol. Forgotten archetype, same as dwarves.

But honestly, seeing the recent trends in balancing and game health maintenance, I'd rather have devs leave them traps well alone then either break them or try to do something, end up with nothing and waste another bunch of work hours trying to dress up meaningless changes in nice marketing slogans.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should add more support for traps, with the current meta being totally different then when traps were “OP” that archetype needs meer love. Traps and movement are the one of the hardest ways to play the game and to master it. You actually need to think before playing , predicting wich card they gonna play next, your next move can win or lose you the game and there is little room for error.
now there arent many different traps so its more difficult for the one playing traps to be unpredicatble then the enemy to predict wich trap is going to be played....

clearly not many have been playing traps lately ! Thing is Its Good fun if you dont wanna win vs the meta decks, so yeah it needs more love !

Top Bottom