Please give us customizable difficulty settings

+
EDIT: and this is the generic boring difficulty setting I was talking about, which I don't want to see:

I don't want just numbers to change, but something that changes how you play the game.
I hate it as well, but that's what we get. Therefore I'm trying to find/suggest an acceptable alternative to be implemented in few hours of work (how hard can it be to code a few additional lines when you're coding the difficulty settings anyway?).

P.S. Death march was just a wrong difficulty setting. You had to slash enemies for entire minutes and they killed you with 2 hits. Totally unfair. I finished my second walkthrough at DM because B&BB had become too easy, but it was freaking annoying. In particularly that toad fucker in hearts of stones. At least half an hour of slashing and rolling around the arena.

I understand that console users do not have access to mods which potentially can give you pretty much every customizable difficulty setting you can think of. But...

To be honest, I really don't care about this feature whatsoever. Just give me the usual "easy - hard" options, with an explanation how it effects the game.
While having a larger variety of options definitely has its pros, I personally have never missed such options. Though, I've never played a game that did have them so... :p
I have a feeling I'd just leave everything (including the difficulty itself) at default and stick with that till the end of the game, because that's what I always do.

If "higher difficulties" are literally just "enemies do X times more damage, and you do X times less damage" (and vice versa with lower difficulties) then options I think would definitely be a good thing.

(I'm a huge fan of custom difficulties created with self-imposed rules, but their purpose is practically always to make the game harder.)
We all know that'll be the case for CP77. That's why i'm asking for what seems to be something very easy to add. And since it's custom, the "5th difficulty setting" doesn't even need optimization/balancing. Just make:
very easy/story mode
easy
medium
hard
custom (you choose some stuff from the 4 defaults above).
I would actually like easy/normal/hard/HARDCORE presets, and special information that shows what those options all do, and then the ability to choose from all the different options inside all those settings and create and save your own "Custom Difficulty Setting" This would be very cool! This way anyone could choose easy, normal, hard, HARDCORE, or Custom, using a combination of any options they like. :D
Post automatically merged:

Thinking some more on this, while I have accepted the usual "easy - hard" setting for games, I am not a fan of any difficult setting, actually. I rather just have the game as is, with no options. Instead, I rather see the difficulty being implemented as part of the game. For example, Dark Souls doesn't have any difficulty settings, but you can pick different builds which are more difficult to execute.

You can say that having a difficulty setting will reach a larger audience, but at the same time, it means you have to make your game "spongy". I mean, it needs to be more flexible with numbers, which usually doesn't help to increase the quality of the experience.

On a final note, I do like special modifiers/modes. For example, Iron Man (death = game over) or Dante Must Die in DMC.

EDIT: and this is the generic boring difficulty setting I was talking about, which I don't want to see:

I don't want just numbers to change, but something that changes how you play the game.
That's also really interesting too. But I also hope that these special things that change how the game are played are also added into the theoretical "Custom Difficulty Settings" option somehow, and I hope I can choose multiple things that change the game in multiple ways. Just an idea, I don't hold my breath though, just like to share ideas :D
Post automatically merged:

Again, no one forces you to choose a difficulty you feel makes no sense. Not everyone thinks the same way you do (I, for example, wouldn't care at all because I would have chosen it), and there is nothing wrong with options.
Yes I love options!
Tell that to everyone wearing plot-armor.
I love plot armor too! But only when it helps me. :D

Last edited:

*ahem* While I am all for implementing optional features. "Essential" features have already been cut from the game. So, the devs should really prioritize what's important. I am not the judge of that. Just saying.

*ahem* While I am all for implementing optional features. "Essential" features have already been cut from the game. So, the devs should really prioritize what's important. I am not the judge of that. Just saying.
I totally agree, and totally understand. Part of me is excited to just experience Cyberpunk2077 exactly how CDPR intended, and part of me is like "DLC OF EVERYTHING THAT WAS REMOVED + ALL OUR HOPES AND DREAMS.... WHEN!?!?!?!" and part of me is like "MOD TOOLS WHEN?" so I have lots of hype, and mixed hopes. :ROFLMAO:

"Essential" features have already been cut from the game. So, the devs should really prioritize what's important.
Well, my whole point is that:
1) difficulty settings are being developed right now (in fact demo didn't have them)
2) a custom difficulty setting is just choosing different aspects of the default settings. It doesn't require more development time.

I'd be really happy with being able to tweak enemy and player output values individually. I tend to prefer high lethality over drawn out fights. I'm not talking milsim levels but something where I don't feel like I'm slowly chipping away at my enemy's healthbar while sitting there out of cover shooting them.

IIRC Stalker on master difficulty made it so both you and your enemies dish out more damage which made fights very tense and forced you to use cover, nades and situational awareness without it feeling like enemies take a million bullets to go down.

I think reducing XP gains on higher difficulty levels the way Witcher 3 did is bad game design because you're hurting the gameplay aspect of leveling up (something that's enjoyable because you can pick a new perk) instead of adjusting enemy levels and progression.

I understand, when the developers of a game have a certain difficulty in mind, they don't allow changing that or changing the details of several predefined difficulties. But they may be not aware that some elementary settings of a difficulty may ruin a game experience in certain cases. I was playing Wolfenstein: The New Order with a Steam Controller recently and the game received both mouse and controller inputs from the controller, which made the game frequently switch between KB+M and controller input settings. Aiming assist with controller input can't be turned off there except by swithing to the highest difficulty. At that difficulty, the game was too difficult for me but it was better than if it had inconsistent aiming assist.

I support having more options and I'd like to know how a game is meant to be played. Therefore I'd like if games (including Cyberpunk 2077) had detailed difficulty settings and some predefined difficulties, with one of them marked as default. Or, if the difficulty settings were substantially different, I'd like if I could tweak some aspects of each difficulty.

I understand, when the developers of a game have a certain difficulty in mind, they don't allow changing that or changing the details of several predefined difficulties. But they may be not aware that some elementary settings of a difficulty may ruin a game experience in certain cases. I was playing Wolfenstein: The New Order with a Steam Controller recently and the game received both mouse and controller inputs from the controller, which made the game frequently switch between KB+M and controller input settings. Aiming assist with controller input can't be turned off there except by swithing to the highest difficulty. At that difficulty, the game was too difficult for me but it was better than if it had inconsistent aiming assist.

I support having more options and I'd like to know how a game is meant to be played. Therefore I'd like if games (including Cyberpunk 2077) had detailed difficulty settings and some predefined difficulties, with one of them marked as default. Or, if the difficulty settings were substantially different, I'd like if I could tweak some aspects of each difficulty.
I love the idea of extremely highly detailed individual control of every single individual aspect of every difficulty setting. :D(y) totally custom difficulty. No more getting stuck and feeling like I have to choose between two options that both only contain half of what I want, and half of what I want to avoid. I would completely disable things like dialogue timers, any and all timers in the entire game, limited inventory carry weight, inventory space limitations, and various other extremely frustrating and inconvenient things like that.

Top Bottom