Possible game update for PnP?

+
No, instead IU lets you mix and match roles. You pick a primary, and the only restriction on other roles that you can take is that the skills they add in to (all Roles now work like combat sense, in that they provide bonuses to 2-3 relevant skills) are at least at a 4, and that the Primary Roles special ability must remain 1 point higher than any other special ability. So you could be a cop AND a solo AND a netrunner if you wanted...

I have to check it out again. I am sure I have read it through at some point...

About what people was saying about the netrunning system:

I haven't played the PnP game for 11 years or so, and I have really bad memory, but IIRC we used the hacking system of a suplement called Hardwired -inspired in the novel with the same title-, that included an alternate hacking system based in good old command lines. I liked it because it didn't split the game in the Netrunner game and the rest of the group game, and as a IT guy myself I could never get into the idea of all "Virtual Netrunning": someone skipping the firekorks and see what is really happening in a lower level will have serious chances of frying your brain while your GPU is still rendering that Ice Firewall or whatever.

PS: sorry for my bad english, I don't have a formal training in the language and I have the flu right now.

If there's a pnp game update it'd better be Cyberpunk 2077, not just a reprint of 2020 with new pictures. I seriously hope CDPR has a strong editing hand in whatever tabletop game is being written by Mike. Any tabletop game should take input from a larger group of people than just Mike & a friend. The game needs a serious overhaul, especially in regards to the world, which IRL has changed immensely in the last 25 years.

I like the suggestion of a fan update. It's going to be at least 2.5 years before we see the video game (probably longer), and I'll bet a dollar they'll be trying to time the pnp game release for the same time as the video game launch. So it'll be a while before any updates are out there.

I've already been working on an update on-and-off for 3 years, with input from forums and even 4chan's /tg/. If anyone wants to collaborate on something, whether it's rules homebrews or world setting details, let me know. Here are some rule changes we were considering to streamline the Interlock system:

Code:
Netrunning – Target # based on Task and Target
Specialized hacking hardware modules, can be implanted, one-shots (like 0-zero day exploits)
Shorter skill list, drop superspecialized skills (cryogenic freezing), add important skills like Engineering
Fewer attributes (combine ATTR, EMP, COOL)
Simpler wound levels (only 1 mortality category), more splatterpunk
BTM is ½ BOD for simplicity
No armor layering
No humanity loss or cyberpsychosis, but there's still a price to pay
Slots for augmentations (only so much you can stuff into a body)
Roll over target # instead of roll under d10 for saves for system consistency
Drop weapon reliability for simplicity (happens too often)
No critical failures/weapon malfunctions (happens too often)
No role-exclusive special abilities 
Special abilities folded into Edges & Flaws
More nation-state politics rather than bizarro altcults
Small number of edges and flaws (avoid feat explosion)
No mecha or powered armor, only robots and drones
Social relations/power more important
Mass surveillance… and countermeasures
New corporations, not so reliant on Japanese or Euro ones
Disband the EU, Europe should be a cyberpunk dystopia too
Pick 3 augs, get 1 for every successful adventure OR massive costs for cyberware (10x) makes you beholden to large organizations
Weak augs grouped together; strong split up  (eg, cybereyes vs boosted reflexes)
Maintenance costs for augs based on complexity
Japan-China Cold War (Electronic Barrier Reef in mid-Pacific)
Hygiene Barriers and skinsuits in wake of mass epidemics
China dominates economically
Gerontocracy in charge of Euro countries
Muslim rebellions in Europe
Collaboratories and hackerspaces
Neuters, Brahmins and aeais from Ian McDonald's cyberpunk fiction
These were just suggestions.

If there's a pnp game update it'd better be Cyberpunk 2077, not just a reprint of 2020 with new pictures. I seriously hope CDPR has a strong editing hand in whatever tabletop game is being written by Mike.

I've already been working on an update on-and-off for 3 years, with input from forums and even 4chan's /tg/. If anyone wants to collaborate on something, whether it's rules homebrews or world setting details, let me know. Here are some rule changes we were considering to streamline the Interlock system:

>Netrunning – Target # based on Task and Target

>Specialized hacking hardware modules, can be implanted, one-shots (like 0-zero day exploits)

Meeh..more gear?

>Shorter skill list, drop superspecialized skills (cryogenic freezing), add important skills like Engineering

Not Like. Hordes of barely used or seen skills are great filler!

>Fewer attributes (combine ATTR, EMP, COOL)

Bad! All these serve a purpose! Dump stats for REF! But seriously, they do. I love 'em.

>Simpler wound levels (only 1 mortality category), more splatterpunk

Wounds pretty simple now, but could work, sure...adjust for damages?

>BTM is ½ BOD for simplicity

Like, although the chart was fine. This better. Round down, of course?

>No armor layering

Hmmm. HMM. The Great Armour Problem. Hmmm.

>No humanity loss or cyberpsychosis, but there's still a price to pay

Very Very Not Like! These are -essential- to CP2020! Defining flavours! Heck, it's in the trailer!

>Slots for augmentations (only so much you can stuff into a body)

Meh. NOt really needed. Humanity!

>Roll over target # instead of roll under d10 for saves for system consistency

Sure, but new chart needed? Otherwise like.

>Drop weapon reliability for simplicity (happens too often)

....weapons do jam and misfire under stress..but sure?

>No critical failures/weapon malfunctions (happens too often)

On behalf of every Evil Ref: we hate you now. "Alright, I pull my monosword over my shoulder JUST LIKE Cloud Stryfe,, whip around and...[rolls dice....1. Followed by a 0]...AAAGGH!" "Yes, "Cloud", you -have- decapitated yourself AND the innocent Fixer standing beside you. You missed the target, though.." Laughter erupts. Cloud sulks off. I smile happily.

>No role-exclusive special abilities

Well, SA rock. Role-exclusive sucks of course.

>Special abilities folded into Edges & Flaws

I prefer SA that reflect your primary profession - cops aren't corporates aren't nomads. generally.

>More nation-state politics rather than bizarro altcults

Spit. Alt cults. Spit.

>Small number of edges and flaws (avoid feat explosion)

More spitting. Oh, wait, V3 stuff. meh.

>No mecha or powered armor, only robots and drones

Extra spitting.

>Social relations/power more important

Great idea! how?

>Mass surveillance… and countermeasures
>New corporations, not so reliant on Japanese or Euro ones
>Disband the EU, Europe should be a cyberpunk dystopia too

All cool ideas.

>Pick 3 augs, get 1 for every successful adventure OR massive costs for cyberware (10x) makes you beholden to large organizations
>Weak augs grouped together; strong split up (eg, cybereyes vs boosted reflexes)
>Maintenance costs for augs based on complexity

Bleah. Prefer HUM.

>Japan-China Cold War (Electronic Barrier Reef in mid-Pacific)
>Hygiene Barriers and skinsuits in wake of mass epidemics
>China dominates economically
>Gerontocracy in charge of Euro countries
>Muslim rebellions in Europe
>Collaboratories and hackerspaces
>Neuters, Brahmins and aeais from Ian McDonald's cyberpunk fiction

All Like.

These were just suggestions.

And some are not terrible! For the others, flogging!

Your points about an update are well made - I hope Maximum Mike is talking frequently to CDPR on the subject.

Disband the EU, Europe should be a cyberpunk dystopia too
What do you mean excatly with that? Why a disband?
Being an european, I think Europe will still developped and enlarge to all its members a real unity to become in the 2070'S an entity quite similar with the US, but more gerontocratic as it was already said by you or Sardukhar. But, economically, I sse EU worst than now with its social economy split in two at the extreme: In one prt you have the autocrates comming from some powerful corporations or government agencies extremely rich and living like the nobility used to live befor the french revolution of 1789. On the overside, extreme poverty and riots. Middle class will not exist anymore. You a noble or a serf.
The idea of muslim riots in Europe? A little bit tendencious and it could be considered as xenophobic by a lot of people. I don't think there will be religious riots but islam will be an important force in the food riots of the 2070's in Europe, inspiring charity and with it conversion. Fot the extreme part of Islam, like the salafist movement, terrorism will be more active than now.

>Japan-China Cold War (Electronic Barrier Reef in mid-Pacific)
>Hygiene Barriers and skinsuits in wake of mass epidemics
>China dominates economically
>Gerontocracy in charge of Euro countries
>Collaboratories and hackerspaces
>Neuters, Brahmins and aeais from Ian McDonald's cyberpunk fiction

All agree with that

IU fixes pretty much every single rules concern on that list... just fyi
Not...really? MA, Luck, ATTR, EMP all still exist in IU. You still roll under saves. You still have complex movement options. Critical failures. Weapon malfunctions. BTM chart still there. Etc.

I do like IU from a crunchy perspective, but at this time my personal preference is for a greatly simplified system, so while we have the same goal I think we're looking at diametrically-opposed desired results. And of course IU is complete. It also doesn't update the world setting at all, just the rule mechanics. A bit of graphic design & layout would also make IU stand out more.

But this is all up for discussion, of course. Do people prefer complex or simple systems? Do they want a complete setting reboot, small tweaks, or original 1980s? I guess Mike & Co. are grappling with these issues right now.

As for myself, I'd prefer a simplified rule system with a complete world reboot to make the game fresh.

I did have some basic layouts ready for my redesign, let me see if I can find the screenshots.

http://sdrv.ms/TTyguK
http://sdrv.ms/ZLTmKQ

I like pretty much IU and all the systems based on a stats + skills scheme, but i'd prefer a more simple and faster system.
IU works well for simple task but when it's time to fight, IU is to heavey and the fighting takes to much time. Something fast, furious and simple will be fine.

As for myself, I'd prefer a simplified rule system with a complete world reboot to make the game fresh.

I did have some basic layouts ready for my redesign, let me see if I can find the screenshots.

http://sdrv.ms/TTyguK
http://sdrv.ms/ZLTmKQ

I see, yes, we are diametrically opposed, in that I don't want a simple system. I in fact really hate the over simplification of systems that is the current trend. And I truly love the mechanics of Cyberpunk 2020. I also don't thimnk the world needs a reboot... it's alternate history, and I can live with that.

If you do want a simple system, there is always Interlock Limited, which is Interlock boiled down to its barest essentials... but it still has the stats.

I like Humanity loss by the way, it serves it purpose well.

I like pretty much IU and all the systems based on a stats + skills scheme, but i'd prefer a more simple and faster system.
IU works well for simple task but when it's time to fight, IU is to heavey and the fighting takes to much time. Something fast, furious and simple will be fine.

It taking too much time has never really been an issue for my group, and simply not using the bits you don't like in combat is always an advice I give...

But as I said above, there is always Interlock Limited, which if you pm your e-mail I will be happy to send to you since the file project host is unlikely to get its head out its ass anytime soon.

*dusts off his CP2020 books*
*digs out his old copies of interface*

Ok so wheres the party I've been waiting this reboot for a long long time?

I remember that book. My group took one look, thought it had some shiny bits, but by and large ignored it. I wish I still had my old paperwork, because we kit-bashed CP2020 and oWoD down to almost the genetic level...from how the average Night City resident thought of supernaturals to special bits like fetish implants that were memory metal and blessed so a Garou could change and not lose his shinies...lol.

Ha! Interface! Which volumes?
Remember the DPU rounds? Thumpers? We still use those, because they are awesome.

Ha! Interface! Which volumes?
Remember the DPU rounds? Thumpers? We still use those, because they are awesome.

I still have most of them. But some are a little damaged. I used to use the mixed role rules from one of them often and I liked the cuthulu punk volume. I'd have to dig them out they are not on the book shelf because the whole half size box thing just does not sit well next to the rest of my gaming books they are in a box at the moment.

I still have most of them. But some are a little damaged. I used to use the mixed role rules from one of them often and I liked the cuthulu punk volume. I'd have to dig them out they are not on the book shelf because the whole half size box thing just does not sit well next to the rest of my gaming books they are in a box at the moment.

I am trying to get a hold of Chris Hockabout, who ran Interface, to see about putting all the interfaces up on my site... still waiting to hear from him...

I keep my Interface and Punk 21 mags in my Cyberpunk 2013 box... along with the 8 issue Punisher Arsenel, the Appleseed Handbook (that came free with early issues of Animag), and the Scout Handbook.

In my Cyberpunk 2020 boxed set, I keep the America Map, the full color Night City Map that came with the sourcebook, and some other goodies....

My land of the free box is full of props and other goody bits.

I am so jealous of you, Wisdom. I read somewhere on this thread a suggestion for an online CP2020 group. I like this idea a lot, and I've even attempted it by myself in the past, but obviously it's hard to get members as advertisement is expensive and I'm not savvy on things regarding copyright pertaining to such a think. I'm definitely ready to play an online game. I even have a character that I'd like to play. So let's just do it! If there's enough interest I might make a thread regarding it, but I'll keep it in here for now. If you're interested please let me know and we can try to work something out.

I don't see the benefit of EU being disbanded, storywise. I definitely don't want to go to real world politics but Europe can be as dystopic as US if it is a union, federation or just bunch of nation states. I think that I gives even more story possibilities for edgerunners if there is EU.

What comes to rules, I like the current crunch level. I can live with lower crunch level, too if necessary but this is the level I know and love :) On the other hand I don't want to go to too hi-def system as it really slows down the game.

I believe that humanity rule was just a convenient game balancing issue but one that also gave flavor to the whole game. Ah, the memories of one campaign where players didn't know stats of their characters or how low their humanity was.

I am so jealous of you, Wisdom. I read somewhere on this thread a suggestion for an online CP2020 group. I like this idea a lot, and I've even attempted it by myself in the past, but obviously it's hard to get members as advertisement is expensive and I'm not savvy on things regarding copyright pertaining to such a think. I'm definitely ready to play an online game. I even have a character that I'd like to play. So let's just do it! If there's enough interest I might make a thread regarding it, but I'll keep it in here for now. If you're interested please let me know and we can try to work something out.

If you really want to get into some online gaming, my friend Joe Klemman, also known as Citizen X, runs the Cyberpunk Unlimited forum here:
http://unlimitedcyberpunk.lefora.com/

Its the hub for several online games he and his friends run. They have been trying to recruit me to run or play in games, but I just have a really weird schedule and don't really have time for it....

Tell em Wisdom000 sent ya...

I am trying to get a hold of Chris Hockabout, who ran Interface, to see about putting all the interfaces up on my site... still waiting to hear from him...

I keep my Interface and Punk 21 mags in my Cyberpunk 2013 box... along with the 8 issue Punisher Arsenel, the Appleseed Handbook (that came free with early issues of Animag), and the Scout Handbook.

In my Cyberpunk 2020 boxed set, I keep the America Map, the full color Night City Map that came with the sourcebook, and some other goodies....

My land of the free box is full of props and other goody bits.

Well digging out the box... I sad to say the Interfaces did not make it fully. Looks like I only have five now.

And they are in fairly bad shape. Usable but the covers are prety much trashed.

I have one form the first run. Vol 1 No 2 Jan 1991

Then I have four from after they changed the way they numbered them

Issue 1 Vol 2
Issue 2 Vol 2
Issue 3 Vol 1
Issue 4 Vol 1

Sadly thats all I got.

I have all the main CP books and splatters around here too up to the 2nd book for the corp war (because we all know there was never a 3rd book to that set)

Hello all,

First time here. I have a generalized observation/question. Has anyone else noticed that it seems like ideas from your campaigns were "stolen" or borrowed as a basis for a new movie or technology several months to a year or so after the fact. This has happened with games my friends and I played. We would have these great gaming sessions and then several months/year or so later a movie would have some of the premise or technology just seemed to catch up with what we did in the game.

Top Bottom