PSA to Gwent Beginners

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hello everyone.

I've noticed since the release of Gwent on iOS there's been a surge of new players, which is good. Since i play a lot on Unranked (Casual) Mode, i face a lot of these players, and i've noticed they are not getting enough information, maybe the tutorial is lacking, because they are failing on basic ESSENTIAL Gwent knowledge.

I know the Gwent team made a series of videos (only 2 for now) to teach new players. I never bothered to watch them earlier since i wouldn't learn anything new, but today i decided to watch, to be able to judge them correctly. Here is the 1st video, that i HIGHLY recommend new players watch:

Slama does a wonderful job at explaining the importance of things like card advantage, pushing/bleeding, drypass and more. My guess is new players simply dont want to be bothered with a 14min video (and they're partially right, the tutorial in-game should be teaching them all of this)

I dont know how many beginners passby in these forums, but here's a quick summary of the video to help you, that should take way less than 14min to read:

- CARD ADVANTAGE (CA) is key. And for a beginner, with a restricted card collection, the focus shouldnt be on obtaining it, but on NOT LOSING IT.
I see these new players just playing and playing, never passing. If on R1 im ahead by a bit, i pass with 5 cards, and see them always going for the win, with 3 cards left (1 CA down) or 2 left (2CA down). Then they make it worse and actually play into R2 instead of offsetting their losses by 1 card with a drypass.

TL;DR: if you're a beginner, try not to lose card advantage R1. If you do win R1 and have less cards than your opponent on R2, drypass, or play until 7 cards (that way both of you will have 10 cards on R3 and you will have last say)

- On the other hand, there's the new players or players returning from beta that are not aggressive enough, and pass R1 with 7 or more cards for both players:

If you started (blue coin), you need to play at least 3 cards and be ahead to not lose CA, so you might have to commit a bit more to avoid this risk.

If you are on red coin, its unlikely you'll lose CA on R1 until you get close to 4 cards in hand (the magic number), but be sure to play at least 3 (so you have 7 and opponent has 6). This will ensure the opponent cant play R2 risk-free and do whatever he wants with you.

- One thing Slama didnt mention in the video is leader abilities. They are often as valuable or more than a card in hand. Most of them you'll want to save for R3. Sometimes its OK to lose CA if you keep your leader ability - for example you go to R3 with 3 cards and your leader, but the opponent goes with 4 cards but no leader. In this situation you still have a decent chance.

Hope this advice helps someone. I can gladly make more if it's requested.
Have a great 2020 :cool:

I made a post on reddit awhile back at how I have found so many players making basic mistakes even at fairly high rank. The one that has really stood out is using your one shot leader ability in round 1. Every time this happens I shake my head because it's always a huge mistake that basically loses the game for the player. I really think it's something people just have to learn on their own. I met someone not long ago who was new to Gwent but a veteran at MTG. He did this with me in a private match and I tried explaining to him that it's not a good idea but he just didn't want to listen.

rrc

Forum veteran
Very well written @DRK3!! It is not just in casual, even in Ranked in Rank 4 and 3 beginners are there and they do such mistakes.. I have faced players playing their leaders ability in R1. I use to think that they accidentally used the ability.

Hopefully the tutorials are improved and from in game these videos are linked so that more new players see this and improve in the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I made a post on reddit awhile back at how I have found so many players making basic mistakes even at fairly high rank. The one that has really stood out is using your one shot leader ability in round 1. Every time this happens I shake my head because it's always a huge mistake that basically loses the game for the player. I really think it's something people just have to learn on their own. I met someone not long ago who was new to Gwent but a veteran at MTG. He did this with me in a private match and I tried explaining to him that it's not a good idea but he just didn't want to listen.

I dont post on gwent reddit but occasionally i go there to see some posts. I see lots of new players asking for meta and easy decks, but not asking for tips/guides. The result is a lot of players with top tier decks, that can climb even to pro rank, but may be lacking on even some basic skills.

Another aspect is that a lot of these players come from other card games, like you mentioned, and they have trouble adapting to Gwent's multiple rounds, always going all-in, carelessly instead of knowing when to pass and saving their best cards for last.

Finally, in my opinion using leader ability in round 1 is only justifiable if you're on red coin and really want to force CA, or if you're on blue and really want to avoid it.

Personally, when i see a player on red coin really push me R1 and use their leader ability, i stop at 5/6 cards, then on R2 i go slowly and still try to retain my leader ability, because i know these ultra-aggressive players arent going for CA but for a 2-0, and with last say on R2 i can usually catch up easily (Villentretenmerth is a great finisher for these R2s)

I just downloaded the game. Have they thought about making it easier to tell what faction a card is? They just have checkered boxes and a few of them look the same so I don't know what the hell factions the cards are and it's tilting. I tried an arena and I will have cards that only affect certain cards of a certain faction... When you right click the card and it says it does 7 damage to a nilfgaard guy, it would be nice if you could click the nilfgaard keyword and it show a boarder or something.

I will figure out all the different factions eventually but as a new player it's frustrating.

Having come back to Gwent from BETA the game has changed massively and the information out there for new players is abysmal. There is very little instruction beyond how to change cardsm lay cards and use leader abilities. There is no explenation for what the information on the cards mean, features of deck building, what scraps are for, etc etc... some stuff you can figure out yourself but some can take a lot of time and effort to figure out a basic function and that is just going to put people off.

Videos are ok, I guess the younger generation are used to that, but I prefer either written or interactive instruction. We need s flippin user manual. (and if there is one, we need one that obvious and east to find).

DRK3

Forum veteran
Having come back to Gwent from BETA the game has changed massively and the information out there for new players is abysmal. There is very little instruction beyond how to change cardsm lay cards and use leader abilities. There is no explenation for what the information on the cards mean, features of deck building, what scraps are for, etc etc... some stuff you can figure out yourself but some can take a lot of time and effort to figure out a basic function and that is just going to put people off.

Videos are ok, I guess the younger generation are used to that, but I prefer either written or interactive instruction. We need s flippin user manual. (and if there is one, we need one that obvious and east to find).

You're right when you say that information should be very easy to find. You have this very extensive written guide by one of the mods here:

It should be stickied to the top of the threads, but i had to search for it in the 'gameplay' tab. Also, the dev video guides should be more accessible, without looking for them.

Thank you for that. This should be in game though, not everyone is going to come looking for a forum.

Also, and this is just speculation, the guide was written in 2018: How up to date is it? (I guess i'll find out in a few minutes as I read it, but its another issue that needs to be taken in to consideration, especially if there are frequent changes)

DRK3

Forum veteran
Thank you for that. This should be in game though, not everyone is going to come looking for a forum.

Also, and this is just speculation, the guide was written in 2018: How up to date is it? (I guess i'll find out in a few minutes as I read it, but its another issue that needs to be taken in to consideration, especially if there are frequent changes)

It was updated last July, so it should be pretty up to date.
There have been 2 expansions after that, but i dont think they brought many new mechanics or keywords, except for 'Defender' and armor like there was in the open beta.

A quick read through and it doesnt seem to cover everything. Straight away for example, the different rows isn't adequately covered imo. There is much more to them than just, they are affected by weather.

Another example, i've play cards where the stated effects seem to do nothing. There is nothing in what i've just read, or on the card information, that would explain why this is, ie, when this card should and shouldnt be used etc etc...

Another example, i've play cards where the stated effects seem to do nothing. There is nothing in what i've just read, or on the card information, that would explain why this is, ie, when this card should and shouldnt be used etc etc...
What cards? :)

Honestly I can't recall, i've been playing quite a bit so have gone through hundreds of cards and trying to keep track of everything that doesnt make sense just isn't happening. I'm just blasting through arena games right now playing as many different cards as possible to try and see what they do.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just another tip for beginners, since i've encountered a few players doing this mistake:

When you lose R1 without card advantage (CA) for any player, you should have more cards than your opponent on R2, and he will start.

-if he plays a card on R2 that DOES NOT MEAN he is going to bleed you or push for a 2-0 yet.
Look at his number of cards. If he has above 7, he might be just getting rid of crappy cards. This is a good habit and if you're on that position you should do it too.

-however if you seem him playing strong cards and/or using his leader ability, he is going to be aggressive, and you need to play more aggressively too.

I know pushing the 2nd round and 2-0 is very trendy in this shitty meta that benefits those who play first. But i felt i needed to give this advice after i've played some weak bronzes R2, sometimes even on the wrong row, and i get my opponent using high tier golds and combo cards like scenarios immediately, then i just pass and i hope they feel like an idiot, for what they've done.

Top Bottom