Re: "I didn't sign up for this" mode

+
I don’t think they’ll ever admit their mistake of replacing the Arena with a halfway done always-in-beta Draft mode.

They already said that “it’s impossible to return Arena in the current state of the game” a year ago or something like that in some of their interviews. Whatever that means.

I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS is the worst seasonal mode. Hands down.​

I totally disagree. I Didn’t Sign up for This is at least playable on a mobile device (unlike the blitz mode); it does not require tediously reading every card description — and waiting for an opponent to read theirs (like Patience is a Virtue).

It is fast playing, easy to design decks, interesting to experiment with (at least for a time), and it allows certain cards to be experienced in their extreme.

Even though the balance is horrible — and ultimately rock-paper-scissorsish, I find the mode worthwhile on a limited basis

I totally disagree. I Didn’t Sign up for This is at least playable on a mobile device (unlike the blitz mode); it does not require tediously reading every card description — and waiting for an opponent to read theirs (like Patience is a Virtue).

It is fast playing, easy to design decks, interesting to experiment with (at least for a time), and it allows certain cards to be experienced in their extreme.

Even though the balance is horrible — and ultimately rock-paper-scissorsish, I find the mode worthwhile on a limited basis
I don't care whether some modes are playable in mobile or not. I have played 5 or 6 games and each and every game was some kind of spam deck whether it's Crow spam or Cintrian Royal Guard spam or something else.

I don't care whether some modes are playable in mobile or not. I have played 5 or 6 games and each and every game was some kind of spam deck whether it's Crow spam or Cintrian Royal Guard spam or something else.
As one who can ONLY play on mobile, having modes for which the mobile interface is disfunctional is kind of a significant negative.

As for “I didn’t sign up for this mode” typically turning into spam of one to three bronze cards; that is an accurate assessment. But I find that part of the mode’s charm. It speeds play. It allows one to really feel the ultimate effectiveness of spammed cards. It simplifies strategy to focus on a few key issues: choosing a leader to gain an edge in critical matchups; and timing (passes, leader use, row filling plays). I recognize that not everyone will appreciate the mode. My point is that simply not appreciating the mode does not categorically make it “the worst”.

That this mode does have an extremely narrow meta (as in a single dominant deck with a handful of techs against that deck) is a problem. Play can quickly become stale. But it is no worse in that regard than several other seasonal modes have been.

Interestingly, as unbalances as "I Didn't Sign Up for This" was, I find I far prefer it to the current "Power Shift" mode. I have played maybe four games of Power Shift; I could barely force myself to finish them even though every opponent faced played a dramatically different deck.

I think I just prefer modes that simplify (rather than complicate) Gwent.

I don’t think they’ll ever admit their mistake of replacing the Arena with a halfway done always-in-beta Draft mode.

They already said that “it’s impossible to return Arena in the current state of the game” a year ago or something like that in some of their interviews. Whatever that means.
I don't even care anymore. The game is dying and I gave up on it.

Top Bottom