Roche: Merciless CONSTRUCTIVE suggestion

+
Roche: Merciless CONSTRUCTIVE suggestion

It is a weird mechanic that I will suggest, but this is a forum and I would like some discussion, maybe.

Right now we know Roche: Merciless will just kill an Ambush card (he lost the "Draw a Card" ability, according to the TopDeck guys), but if there is not single one Ambush Card out there - he is a vanilla 5 STR GOLD.

Why not tweak his ability and make him to flip in Ambush position an up to 11 STR Bronze or Silver card and leave it like that, out of the Round? This will bring huge versatility of Mr. Merciless there and will make it actually VIABLE, MERCILESS and FUN to play with (and infuriating against). Like, turning a card in a middle of a row can prevent combos with cards like Commander's Horn (ha-ha) and deny the Graveyard interactions on which Skellige and Monsters are cable of.

Why 11 STR? Cause a). the only Bronze Ambush card in the game is 11, b). than he can flip cards lie Ronvid, Trololo, Assire etc. and c). you will round him up at 16, which are the points that other great tech cards like Muzzle achieve.

Best.

No matter how interesting that could be, it would still not make him worth playing.

Could be interesting, but still only playable in very niche situations. I like its unique nature. Maybe instead of flipping it over until the round ends, he could just flip it over for 2 turns - could open up some interesting plays with passes.

4RM3D;n10537442 said:
No matter how interesting that could be, it would still not make him worth playing.

Some were saying Muzzle will not be playable with power creep and here it is, still a regular card on the Ladder. Imagine this - R1 you flip this Greatsword, pulled with Bran and Oppo has no way to use Maiden to call a second one. This will most likely mean that you've won that round, maybe the game. Just from that one tech. And you'll probably have at least one more in your deck.

It may not be the best mechanic out there, but like that it will be different, unique and actually reliable.

Interesting mechanic although I was thinking something a bit different. I remembered the duel between Roche and Iorveth in the Witcher 2 and I like the duel mechanic so this is what I thought. Roche: Merciless 5 strength. 1 armor. Duel an enemy unit or ambush card. If elf deal double the damage.

Appreciate the Lore input, but I really hate these punish specific Archetype mechanics. Like Aguara with "charm a 3 STR Elf". I find them so annoying and actually useless.

I see. I can't say I hate Archetype punishment unless it's way too specific. A dueling Roche would have decent remove value against non-elf cards so his conditionality is decreased but would still have a specifc purpose while also not being too op when said condition arise. Maybe 6 strength 2 armor?

Last edited:
I would rather give him one of those "Choose one" abilities instead. Like Choose one: Destroy an ambush card or damage an enemy by X, if that unit was an Elf, boost all Temerian Allies by X. Something simple like that.

Your idea is sounds cool though.

Last edited:
partci;n10540722 said:
It may not be the best mechanic out there, but like that it will be different, unique and actually reliable.

It's basically a gold lock. It needs something more.

4RM3D;n10541282 said:

It's worse.

"HI, I'm Roche the Merciless, I'm an anti card to a mechanic used by one faction in the game THAT ALMOST NEVER USES THIS MECHANIC ANYWAY. Please use me against the other 4/5ths of the game. For some reason."

4RM3D;n10541282 said:

It seems like one and it is close, but it is actually really different - please, use that Maiden on a Locked SK Unit and than to a turned face down Unit. Or pull that Zapped Greatsword from your GY. I think this is really versatile effect, as useful in R1 as it is in R3.

(put SK just as an example)

Bumping this thread as this card desperately needs an update!

My suggestion:

Roche: Merciless
Power: 5

Chose one: Banish a Face-down Ambush enemy; Or discard a random unit from your opponent's hand and boost self by it's base power. Your opponent then draws a bronze unit from their deck.

Last edited:
He would still be pretty niche, but I think that this could actually work.
The suggested alternative to banishing an ambush, could be helpfull against a lot of archetypes, in particular NG handbuff, Reveal, or anydeck with a huge finisher.

Top Bottom