Romances: Disparity in quality and quantity

+
Just my opinion, but unrelated :)
With Judy, once you find Evelyn and search for the VDBs, her involvement in the main is totally ended. Before this point, you can't romance her and everything after, is side quests and totally unrelated to the main quest line, exactly as River and Kerry.
Umm....you just said "once you find Evelyn" ". So a part of the main story? The only reason you meet her is because she's a part of the main story. I never encountered Kerrie except in flashbacks. My choices just never led me to meet him. Whereas I have to meet Judy or the story won't progress.
Post automatically merged:

You got it! If it's not something you've experienced, I can only describe it as alienating.
It's not alienating, it's understanding your core demographic. Every business that provides a service or need must identify their core demographic. It's why the Lifetime network doesn't also broadcast wrestling. That's an oversimplification but you get my point. For better or worse the majority of gamers are straight males. If that changes, developers will change with it but until then, these games require money to get made so they must appeal to the majority or do what you suggest and accept the game won't sell as much. That's just the reality.

Last edited:
It's not alienating, it's understanding your core demographic. Every business that provides a service or need must identify their core demographic. For better or worse the majority of gamers are straight males. If that changes, companies will change with it but until then, these games require money to get made so they must appeal to the majority. That's just reality.
It's both. It's an alienating experience to the smaller demographic (though not intentionally from the dev's perspective). And it is also just business sense that if there isn't enough time or resources, those types of decisions will be made because it will benefit more players than the alternative. But when you are the smaller demographic, it is an alienating experience to know you get less because the experience of straight males will be prioritized. The industry has been this way for a while.

And with respect, you're not the expert on my experience.

Umm....you just said "once you find Evelyn" ". So a part of the main story? The only reason you meet her is because she's a part of the main story. I never encountered Kerrie except in flashbacks. My choices just never led me to meet him. Whereas I have to meet Judy or the story won't progress.
Yes, because during all this part, it's not about romances. The same with Panam, nothing before starting her side quests. So yeah, you meet Panam and Judy before during the main quest, but it's irrelevant when talking about romances which is the subject of the thread ;)

It's both. It's an alienating experience to the smaller demographic (though not intentionally from the dev's perspective). And it is also just business sense that if there isn't enough time or resources, those types of decisions will be made because it will benefit more players than the alternative. But when you are the smaller demographic, it is an alienating experience to know you get less because the experience of straight males will be prioritized. The industry has been this way for a while.

And with respect, you're not the expert on my experience.
With respect, I said nothing about your experience. I spoke only about how businesses operate because it's important to separate that from personal bias. I'm also a part of a small demographic but I try to separate that and be as objective as possible.

The reality is it's impossible to please every single person in the confines of a game but I think CDPR has done a good job balancing that. Is there room for improvement, sure there always will be but also "Perfect is the enemy of good"

Yes, because during all this part, it's not about romances. The same with Panam, nothing before starting her side quests. So yeah, you meet Panam and Judy before during the main quest, but it's irrelevant when talking about romances which is the subject of the thread ;)
LOL you can't romance someone before meeting them my friend, that's kind of important. Without the connection with Evelyn your relationship with Judy would be nonexistent. Evelyn is quite literally the person who told her you can be trusted. It is through that main story that your friendship build and lays the foundation for it to potentially become more. Same with Panam.

Not all romances just start abruptly, some do but in this case suggesting that meeting them before meant nothing or contributed nothing to the relationship later...can't agree with that one.

Last edited:
LOL you can't romance someone before meeting them my friend, that's kind of important. Without the connection with Evelyn your relationship with Judy would be nonexistent. Evelyn is quite literally the person who told her you can be trusted. It is through that main story that your friendship build and lays the foundation for it to potentially become more. Same with Panam.

Not all romances just start abruptly, some do but in this case suggesting that meeting them before meant nothing or contributed nothing to the relationship later...can't agree with that one.
We where talking about romances, isn't it ?
So how is it relevant in this thread, to talk about quest lines in which there is nothing about romances ?
For me, it's not relevant at all..
(Yes, you meet Panam and Judy during the main quest, sooner than River and Kerry, but as far as I know, V's relations with the girls are friendship, at best).
Like I said previously, with Panam or Judy, you can have a (rather) "good" and nice ending. But with Kerry and River, no matter what, it's always sad as hell.

So we can agree to disagree :)

And no imagine the romantic choices for those of us whom are not humans

Being serious, i don't experience human emotions so i was unable to form a bond with them. i just exist as me

The reality is it's impossible to please every single person in the confines of a game but I think CDPR has done a good job balancing that. Is there room for improvement, sure there always will be but also "Perfect is the enemy of good"

I agree with this here. There isn't even perfect balance between Panam and Judy and that's without considering subjective bias. It's just not possible with 4 totally different characters. But perfect balance is not being asked for. The ask is to lessen the disparity, which was pretty large.

You have the right to let it be what it is but I think you can at least understand why other people want to be considered more equally. Discriminating on those types of demographics is becoming less accepted.

We where talking about romances, isn't it ?
So how is it relevant in this thread, to talk about quest lines in which there is nothing about romances ?
For me, it's not relevant at all..
(Yes, you meet Panam and Judy during the main quest, sooner than River and Kerry, but as far as I know, V's relations with the girls are friendship, at best).
Like I said previously, with Panam or Judy, you can have a (rather) "good" and nice ending. But with Kerry and River, no matter what, it's always sad as hell.

So we can agree to disagree :)
Umm...because normal ppl don't walk up to strangers and ask them to get in a relationship or have sex. Your interactions with the person leading up to that is a part of the the romance. If you're saying it doesn't matter then you aren't talking about "romancing" the character, you're talking about the point at which you get to just have sex with the character.

In any case we aren't here to discuss dating advice and as others have said it's not a dating or sex sim so to each their own. I don't think this is core to the game or requires the attention being demanded.

Umm...because normal ppl don't walk up to strangers and ask them to get in a relationship or have sex. Your interactions with the person leading up to that is a part of the the romance. If you're saying it doesn't matter then you aren't talking about "romancing" the character, you're talking about the point at which you get to just have sex with the character.

In any case we aren't here to discuss dating advice and as others have said it's not a dating or sex sim so to each their own. I don't think this is core to the game or requires the attention being demanded.
Hum with Kerry and River, you don't ask them to get relationship or have sex directly... it's like Panam or Judy, at the end of their quest line...
The disparity is for example :
with Panam or Judy, you can have a (rather) "good" and nice ending. But with Kerry and River, no matter what, it's always sad as hell.
Nothing to do with "when" you meet them in the story or if they are involved in the main quest line...
- If you romanced Judy or Panam, you have a "nice" ending available.
- If you romanced Kerry or River, you have only "sad" endings.
Easy as that and very far from talking/asking for a "dating or sex sim" :)

Last edited:

Guest 4412420

Perhaps my choice in words caused some confusion and came off harsher than I intended to. For that I apologize.

However, I think that all of our feedback regarding romances being interpreted as us expecting Cyberpunk to be a dating sim is a little dismissive, especially when none of us here requested features found in dating sims.

I can't speak for everyone, but as @seracy put, all I'm hoping for (not demanding) is for Cyberpunk's romance content disparity to be lessened, so that those of us who romanced Kerry or River would have a more positive experience. The game's romances will never be completely equal and that's fine, but as it is now, romance content disparity is a very real issue that's affecting Kerry's and River's romances the most and it would be very much appreciated if CDPR lessened said content imbalance someday.

Perhaps my choice in words caused some confusion and came off harsher than I intended to. For that I apologize.

However, I think that all of our feedback regarding romances being interpreted as us expecting Cyberpunk to be a dating sim is a little dismissive, especially when none of us here requested features found in dating sims.

I can't speak for everyone, but as @seracy put, all I'm hoping for (not demanding) is for Cyberpunk's romance content disparity to be lessened, so that those of us who romanced Kerry or River would have a more positive experience. The game's romances will never be completely equal and that's fine, but as it is now, romance content disparity is a very real issue that's affecting Kerry's and River's romances the most and it would be very much appreciated if CDPR lessened said content imbalance someday.
THIS. I just want some equal representation for those who play as Lady-V or a gay/bi Bro-V. Wanting more interactions does not equate with wanting the game to be a dating sim. We just want it to feel more equal...and realisticish.

Even the "best" ending catered too the female romance options.
As a Kerry stan, I honestly consider "the Sun" ending with him the best one in the game. It's open and bittersweet because of V's illness, however, the boys are together, and V promised Kerry to return to him. It fills your brain with "What if" type of questions.
Maybe he even will be able to find a cure with the help of Mr. Blue Eyes. Otherwise, why would he fly to that palace? Who knows!

As a Kerry stan, I honestly consider "the Sun" ending with him the best one in the game. It's open and bittersweet because of V's illness, however, the boys are together, and V promised Kerry to return to him. It fills your brain with "What if" type of questions.
Maybe he even will be able to find a cure with the help of Mr. Blue Eyes. Otherwise, why would he fly to that palace? Who knows!
That's what I'm hoping for in the sequel. I will be legit pissed if they kill off V and just forget about them.

the only thing which bothers me a bit is that you can date/romance several at once without any interaction/impact/dialog/consequences on your first relationship... especialy cause they already made it way better in W3 with Tris & Yen... even tho i have weird feelings if i play f.e. rivers questline after i romance judy, i feel like betraying her... vise versa... playing judys questline after romancing river it does not feel like cheating to me x'D - but mostlikely its just me... so yeah for me panam & judy are also way more serious relationships than river & kerry... dunno exacttly why tho.

so yeah for me panam & judy are also way more serious relationships than river & kerry... dunno exacttly why tho.
Because it's blatant that the male relationships, straight and bi/gay, were treated as an afterthought...They don't get the buildup that Judy and Panam got. In fact, if you don't do Johnny's gigs and the gig involving the Peralezes, you can completely miss River and Kerry in the game. I don't know why they would make things so damn unequal, being that EVERYONE plays videogames, not just men who like pretty ladies. lol.

Because it's blatant that the male relationships, straight and bi/gay, were treated as an afterthought...They don't get the buildup that Judy and Panam got. In fact, if you don't do Johnny's gigs and the gig involving the Peralezes, you can completely miss River and Kerry in the game. I don't know why they would make things so damn unequal, being that EVERYONE plays videogames, not just men who like pretty ladies. lol.
I think you can say that of River, less so of Kerry. Yes, the story tangent is optional, but it's huge and fundamentally linked to the backstory of Samurai.

I think you can say that of River, less so of Kerry. Yes, the story tangent is optional, but it's huge and fundamentally linked to the backstory of Samurai.
I've actually come across players who completely missed meeting Kerry in game, but it was because they never completed Johnny's gigs for one reason or another.

I've actually come across players who completely missed meeting Kerry in game, but it was because they never completed Johnny's gigs for one reason or another.
Yeah it's definitely missable but it's good content. I do think River is hard done by (even if I'm still smarting that he was the best gay date ever!!).

Yeah it's definitely missable but it's good content. I do think River is hard done by (even if I'm still smarting that he was the best gay date ever!!).
I tried to kiss River as a male V my first playthrough. The option was there, so I took it. It was an awkward exchange, but then I remembered that Kerry was available, so I felt better. lol

Top Bottom