Shani

+
Corylea said:
Corylea said:
You have a valid point, but her behaviour sometimes strikes me as really childish. That scene she makes right in the middle of the street when Geralt is on his way to get Alvin is just over the top. I'll agree with you that she has courage, but that doesn't make her a likeable character.
It seemed very out of character to me when Shani did that, and I got the sense that her usual personality was being sacrificed to the plot. If Triss is a ****** and Shani is sweet and understanding, the choice between them is no longer as interesting. I think they forced Shani to make that outburst in order to serve the quest.
Not at all sure I agree, Cory. This is someone who on the evidence of the story walks a considerable distance alone through a fairly lawless landscape in order to go into a city under quarentine and work in a plague hospital. Later, when serious fighting breaks out, she sets up her own field-hospital in the middle of the battlefield. This is someone with single-minded determination to do what she believes is right - very strong-willed; she gets what she wants, and it isn't that surprising that she reacts badly when Geralt (who is one of the things she wants) shows allegiance to someone she reasonably distrusts.She's also chosen to have a sexual affaire with Thaler, and later chosen to end it. So yes, she's dedicated and one of the few genuinely altruistic and unambiguously good characters in the game, but she isn't a fluffy, gently innocent.

I cringed IRL when read the whole Shani + Thaler thing... :p Nasty. He's like 50 with liver spots everywhere.

Reaper004 said:
I cringed IRL when read the whole Shani + Thaler thing... :p Nasty. He's like 50 with liver spots everywhere.
He's also powerful, intelligent and dangerous, and lots of women find those attributes attractive.

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
I find bald men very attractive :)
Damn!

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
It seemed very out of character to me when Shani did that, and I got the sense that her usual personality was being sacrificed to the plot. If Triss is a ****** and Shani is sweet and understanding, the choice between them is no longer as interesting. I think they forced Shani to make that outburst in order to serve the quest.
Not at all sure I agree, Cory. This is someone who on the evidence of the story walks a considerable distance alone through a fairly lawless landscape in order to go into a city under quarentine and work in a plague hospital. Later, when serious fighting breaks out, she sets up her own field-hospital in the middle of the battlefield. This is someone with single-minded determination to do what she believes is right - very strong-willed; she gets what she wants, and it isn't that surprising that she reacts badly when Geralt (who is one of the things she wants) shows allegiance to someone she reasonably distrusts.She's also chosen to have a sexual affaire with Thaler, and later chosen to end it. So yes, she's dedicated and one of the few genuinely altruistic and unambiguously good characters in the game, but she isn't a fluffy, gently innocent.
Agreed that she's strong and determined, possibly even to the point of foolhardiness. Her professional and interpersonal styles feel somewhat different to me, though. Plus, she's smart. She's smart enough to know that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as the saying goes, and she's smart enough to know that cursing your boyfriend's other girlfriend is likely to make him like you less, not more. I know she's not a fluffy girl (for all that she dresses like Peter Pan -- I keep expecting her to say, "I can fly!" :) ), but I still think that her outburst was more about the plot than about her character.

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
He's also powerful, intelligent and dangerous, and lots of women find those attributes attractive.
Shani never found that out till later but she knew about the baldness and spots from the start.

MR said:
MR said:
MR said:
Shani never found that out till later but she knew about the baldness and spots from the start.
How do you know when she found out? She'd have found out about the intelligence first time she talked to him. The rest?

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
How do you know when she found out? She'd have found out about the intelligence first time she talked to him. The rest?
I think M. R. is referring to the time when Shani tells Geralt the story of how she discovered that Thaler is the head of Termarian Intelligence. But even before knowing that Thaler held that position, she may well have known that he was a fence, which has power and danger associated with it, too.

The chief spy? I think she finds out about intelligence when he decides to show it to her, since none of us were along for any Shani/Thaler dates I guess we can drop that point. (we do know his secret plans failed on one occaision, fine display of intelligence)The rest, as soon as she found out, it was all over. When she knew he was something she dumped him.She just wanted a festy,spotty, grimy, ugly,cracked eye glass wearing, trench coat clad, dirty old man.

two occasions :) ... Erkin ain't the best undercover guy either...and who said Thaler was dirty ? poor fashion sense (check!) pot belly (check!) monocle (check!) -- possibly cracked, never noticedpersonally I *like* the Thaler character and I had no problem believing that Shani would have considered dating him / did ... and who exactly does he have for competition before Geralt strolls into town ... Kalkstein ? sure nice fellow .. but I'd say he's more of an acquired taste than Thaler . The gardener? workmate of a sort ... but come on ... Coleman? Ramsmeat? I think she *would* draw the line therevincent is taken, not that he's eye candy either, Jethro is a junkie ... that leaves the widower Raymond (who is cute and nice, but maybe not into a relationship) ... but we all know what happens there :)Bottom line, I found Thaler a totally credible option for Shani to have had or considered.... or dwarves :)

and Geralt ? tromping through muck and mire, covered in bloody spray ? that's more attractive ? ...well OK it is, but i think you get my point :)

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
Bottom line, I found Thaler a totally credible option for Shani to have had or considered.... or dwarves :)
Relax, MPetros, there's hope for us yet.
Perhaps not. She said that Thaler was a credible option for Shani.

OK ... Thaler would not have immeditately been sticken from any of my lists ... is that more explicit ? :) I would have given him a chance / dated him if i was a character in this game

gamewidow said:
OK ... Thaler would not have immeditately been sticken from any of my lists ... is that more explicit ? :) I would have given him a chance / dated him if i was a character in this game
Simon Brooke =>

gamewidow said:
Swoon!P.S.: Watch your typing and grammar, young woman! This isn't up to the standards we know and love!

gamewidow said:
and Geralt ? tromping through muck and mire, covered in bloody spray ? that's more attractive ? ...well OK it is, but i think you get my point :)
That stain near the trophy hook always catches my eye.

Top Bottom