Shortest main story in rpg game ?

+
I'm talking about the main story. The characters are great but feel their stories were rushed or cut short. There is so much they showed from gameplay trailers that were cut and not in the game. I've never seen a game that has so much missing gameplay from trailers. Like 50% of the story was cut. Is it because people asked for a short game? This is definitely their shortest story game. Everytime I started to like a character there were no more missions to do with them. Great characters but not enough story to them. The actual main story mission is no where near 71 hours. Sure you can stretch it to hundreds of hours if you do activies and stuff. But the main story mission felt rushed didn't it? Idk why they cut so much. Oh well perhaps the DLCs will be do some justice to characters like panam, Judy or River. Just not enough to do with them. Especially Jackie damn he died like 10 mins into his story lol. Each great character you met and started to like it ended a mission later.

this is so ridiculous 17 hours?? what game are you playing a lot of the side stories are important, you see that ending when people call you ? , can you get panam to help you or judy to show up on one of the endings if you dont do all her side quest items. Why would anyone even try to finish the game in 17 with so much content in between that can be done? what's the point. I finished the game at 65 hours and then currently on my second play through at 30 hours am not even attempting to finish it as I have a bunch of stuff I never did on my first play through, and I literally have seen things in my second play through cool side gigs, cool conversations, items ( sex scene with corpo chick ) and things that I never saw or did in any way in my first 65 hours.

what you mean to say is why do you think the allowed the game to be sped run or rushed through?

I dont think they saw it that way. They saw it as, if you want to just see the main story here you go this is the short path..
if you want to enjoy all that we created then .. pick up the phone.... that simple.
Post automatically merged:

I wouldn't mind at this point... no, actually I would be really very happy if they kept this version all as is and re released the game in 6~12 months from now, Square Enix FFXIV style. Damn, I would love if CDPR announced something like that (plans to re release the game completely revamped).

At least give us the game shown in the trailers and demos...

this game doesnt need that.... people exagerate FF14 was broken I bought it first day out.. it was a mess, Cyberpunk on PC with a decent rig runs mostly fine bugs yes we all know by now and is a great game with hundreds of hours if you want to do everything. I think this game can be expanded by DLC. is funny how people here are complaining about an RPG lenght when a game like mass effect 2 one of the greatest ever could be finished more or less in 40 or less WITH side quests and side missions included almost no exploration outside of pre selected areas and everybody loved it and now people want Cyberpunk to change a game that has easly 70 + doing every story side mission and doing most gigs and probably 100+ to do every single thing in the game. I don't mind if they do decided to do it like you suggest but I don't think they need to.

Last edited:
Well put.

I agree it could be expanded upon, especially at the early stages of the game when leveling up is so tough.

One thought would be to set all the story missions aside and get to level 20 before kicking off 'the heist'. I'm doing that now as a Corpo, my first playthrough was as a Nomad. It feels alot longer this time. -w

Yea I hope they add a good chunk with the DLCs like the witcher 3. because if they don't I'm legit stepping off the gas pedal because I hold back on preorders except for this game. and its been a long time since I preordered lol It is what it is, they don't read the forums, which I think where the real fans are. I will be shocked if we get everything we want going forward. but I hope we do.

Don't get your hopes up, The Witcher 3 3rd Act was rushed and DLCs didn't fix that.

As I pointed out in another thread before I would have been fine with a short main story line if the replayability-factor was really big. Like, if lifepaths had a severe impact on how the story unfolds or your choices would matter more at critical or even random moments in the story.

For myself, as it is right now, I want to replay the game a second time, to try a diffrent playstyle with diffrent attributes and perks and pursue a romance option I did not choose in the first playthrough. But I won't do so much of the copy-paste side gigs as I did in my first playthrough, shortening the playing time even further.

Don't know if I wanted to replay the game a 3rd time. Have to wait for DLCs to decide that.

Last edited:
If I may assume something random and throw it into the ring:
You can clearly see how far the story progresses in your "inventory screen"- aka on the card. there may have been more steps woven into the game, like say 10% for each story progression. But I don't really recall (or I don't remember) for it to go "smoothly" up but jump some steps. maybe I'll need to take a look with my second playthrough

The Outer Worlds also wasn’t a AAA game. So there’s that too.
Also it was so bland I couldn't wait for it to end. One of those games that made me thankful the story was short and I managed to finish it instead of just uninstalling mid-way.

Cyberpunk left me wanting for more. But I also want more mechanics and table-top RPG features. So I will have to wait for DLCs and mods.

On a sidenote, my nomad playthrough was 62 hours long, most of the side-quests where pretty good and the gigs are decent too. I assume the people complaining about the gigs didn't bother to read a single message or text in the game. There's plenty of flavor in them, even if they lack on voice acting.

I love the game but Holy Christ why is the main story so dang short? I think it's shortest rpg game ever right ? I've never played an RPG story so short before. Yea there are a lot of side missions but the main story is what keeps you interested and boy was it disappointing in length. Just bizzare and ridiculously too short.

Come on CDPR after 8 years you give a 17 hour main story ? Who were these imbeciles that asked for a shorter game? I think it's half the length of witcher 3. Hate those people that said "I like a short game if the story is good". Well if the story is good why would you want it shorter? It's an RPG game not a movie.

It's such a rich and detailed world they should've made the story much longer without a doubt. But great game nonetheless. Was very sad but mostly shocked when it ended. Witcher 3 dlc main story was longer than this entire games main story.
My Problem with this campain are not The game be so short, because CDP have say The campain is shorter than The Witcher 3, but The fact of some times is more like a action game, is so Linear, I was Wating something like The Osbisian Games with mutiple ways to do some quests and more consequences

mutiple ways to do some quests and more consequences
A lot of the main and side-quests have multiple ways of doing them and multiple ways they end. Including a lot of ways that aren't super obvious and can be surprising. But they don't have a lot in term of consequences, other than reward choices, you might alter a minimal branch of the side-quest, but that's it. The main quest has some major branches, but a lot of it is the same regardless of your choices.

In general, they're alright, but they're pretty disconnected from one another.
Then again, side quests in the witcher had even less options and were even more disconnected.

Also minor spoiler: Pay attention to the quest dialog if you have the option to draw your weapon on the bottom right side. A lot of times drawing and pointing your weapon at someone triggers another branch of the quest that you may not even know existed.

A lot of the main and side-quests have multiple ways of doing them and multiple ways they end. Including a lot of ways that aren't super obvious and can be surprising. But they don't have a lot in term of consequences, other than reward choices, you might alter a minimal branch of the side-quest, but that's it. The main quest has some major branches, but a lot of it is the same regardless of your choices.

Then again, side quests in the witcher had even less options and were even more disconnected.

Also minor spoiler: Pay attention to the quest dialog if you have the option to draw your weapon on the bottom right side. A lot of times drawing and pointing your weapon at someone triggers another branch of the quest that you may not even know existed.
That's a nice attention to detail, thanks for the input.
What I also kind of want to explore more is the effect of not chosing dialogue options when you're on a timer. I did it few times and it can have slightly impact on what's happening or anything.

Spoiler ahead:
For example if you need to get Hinako out of Yorinobus house and drive there with Hellman, while doing the inspection he told you to keep your cool. There at some point you can attack the inspecting dudes, keep calm and wait for it and then you can just let time run out, then in my example Hellman loses his cool and pushes the pedal and kills/drives over the inspector

It's super short but you do get the impression that if you haven't done a lot of the side stuff you're missing out as you get close to the end.
If someone could like this comment it would be nice. I have bugs to report but can't post in the forum because I'm new.
Thanks

Also it was so bland I couldn't wait for it to end. One of those games that made me thankful the story was short and I managed to finish it instead of just uninstalling mid-way.

Just saying the game didn’t have a triple-A budget to put everything it wanted into the game, so the results reflect that.

Whether anyone likes the game as it is or not is not an argument here.

Honestly, I never thought I'd ever say something like this, but the length is fine along with side quests. If it were much longer I'd not finish it as I wouldn't get long enough stretches of time.

Also, none of the bugs have ever been deal breaking for me. In fact the worst offender so far has been Nancy not calling in a day.

My main gripes are this:

Cars manouever like driving on ice. The quadras especially so.

The user interface is clunky. You cant disassemble items in crafting so you have to go back to your backpack.

The upgrade system is rubbish. There's little reason to invest in upgrading a gun unless you personally like it (Johnny's gun, for example) so why not have them scale with you while crafting adds unique properties?

The skill trees aren't particularly well thought out. (Throwing knives, for one)

It's super short but you do get the impression that if you haven't done a lot of the side stuff you're missing out as you get close to the end.
If someone could like this comment it would be nice. I have bugs to report but can't post in the forum because I'm new.
Thanks
In my opinion you should definitely do the side missions and "major-minor" side missions. (not talking about the NCPD or streetgang stuff, the blue stuff, very few are nice but you need to look for them), the cyberpsycho quests are maybe unsatisfying in the end but if you watch out for lore and insights on these cases you may be able to learn more about some stuff.
If you "wring" out the side missions and read up some stuff (in the game) to try to get to know more about this, then it's definitely worth it.
Also talking with Mitch (maybe later) talking about his or the most nomads past (war veterans from all over the world, etc) then you get more insights on the world and its people or what might have happened.

TL;dr Side-missions, "romance-missions", major-tasts/quests, yeah you should do them (also the Tarot cards, very interesting to know)

The story feels like the equivalent of going to a restaurant and ordering a full 3-course meal and ending up getting a main course and a possible dessert, but you are still waiting for that much needed starter.

Everything is all over the place, so many loose ends. So many characters being practically discarded without an actual proper ending to their story (T-Bug, Jenkins etc..) Characters not getting their much needed character development and thus no one really ends up caring about them but apparently we are meant to care, hmmm....

People seem to enjoy the story but to me its a mess, as said before it really is just a Silverhand story because anyone other than him doesn't really seem to serve as much of a purpose. Why wasn't Silverhand the main character?

This is probably why the story feels so short, these things where probably meant to get added but for some reason was left out..

Surely the length of the main story only being X hours long only matters if you're skipping the side missions which I think is doing the game a disservice. The design (as much as I take from it and I'm biased having been a huge fan of the pnp) speaks more to exploring this imagining of Night City with plenty of side hustles to keep you poking around. I came to the game wanting to see NC. More than V or Johnny, NC is the main character and I'm happy with the length of time (100+ hrs) it took me for my first playthrough because I was in no hurry to reach the 'end'.

Ofcourse I was sad it eventually had to happen and I can see why if just reaching an end is all that matters you'll do it pretty quickly without a lot of fanfare but you'll be missing what I think the designers had in mind. I know I missed loads of side stuff that I intending to do with my new character. (corpo rat ftw!)

My biggest complaint is I would have liked to seen more impact on world from the things I did. The whole experience is built on the dreams of becoming a legend but I didn't feel that feedback from the world. I kept waiting to hear on the radio/newsreel about a certain someone after I helped them but nothing happened which hollows out the experience a bit.

Surely the length of the main story only being X hours long only matters if you're skipping the side missions which I think is doing the game a disservice. The design (as much as I take from it and I'm biased having been a huge fan of the pnp) speaks more to exploring this imagining of Night City with plenty of side hustles to keep you poking around. I came to the game wanting to see NC. More than V or Johnny, NC is the main character and I'm happy with the length of time (100+ hrs) it took me for my first playthrough because I was in no hurry to reach the 'end'.

Ofcourse I was sad it eventually had to happen and I can see why if just reaching an end is all that matters you'll do it pretty quickly without a lot of fanfare but you'll be missing what I think the designers had in mind. I know I missed loads of side stuff that I intending to do with my new character. (corpo rat ftw!)

My biggest complaint is I would have liked to seen more impact on world from the things I did. The whole experience is built on the dreams of becoming a legend but I didn't feel that feedback from the world. I kept waiting to hear on the radio/newsreel about a certain someone after I helped them but nothing happened which hollows out the experience a bit.
Completely with you there. I decided to finish my first playthrough after around 80 hours and later I did the little missions, gigs and so on, going for achievements etc. But will probably start a second playthrough soon (after ~150 hours into the game) to explore more stuff.

I know that, spolier ahed: like The Quest of you can save takemura, The game dont say you can do this, Johnny Says The oposite of you cant save him, mayke The problem is my hype, I gonna make a Corpo and do every Quest on diferente whay to see what happens

Top Bottom