Silent or Voiced Protagonist?

+
I usually prefer a silent protagonist, but in the case of this game however, a voiced protagonist is more appropriate.

Cant say more other then

THIS

Sure, but as soon as you do that, you are budget and time limiting the responses you can make in game.

It does amuse me how intent people are on this issue, what is to me a minor matter compared to content. Voice, not-voiced..just give me more content please.

What the hell is that 4th option?.....Nevermind.

I think that a voiced character would be extremely vital in making this a great game. It adds a whole new level of depth and immersion to the story, just look at games RPG's like Mass Effect for reference. Even if their is only one prerecorded voice options for a male and female (multiple, say 3 would be great), it should definitely be included.

Sure, but as soon as you do that, you are budget and time limiting the responses you can make in game.

It does amuse me how intent people are on this issue, what is to me a minor matter compared to content. Voice, not-voiced..just give me more content please.

You're thinking about this very logically, which is great! But there are so many things that can impact one's enjoyment of a product. 100 people can like the same thing, but they might enjoy it for 100 different reasons. Voiced or non-voiced can seem like a trivial matter, and when it comes down to it, it is.. but it can also help the player feel more immersed in the world.

Just like viewpoint. Deus Ex is first person and it plays wonderfully. But The Witcher 2 was third person and some people prefer that.

100 people can like the same thing, but they might enjoy it for 100 different reasons. Voiced or non-voiced can seem like a trivial matter, and when it comes down to it, it is.. but it can also help the player feel more immersed in the world.

Just like viewpoint. Deus Ex is first person and it plays wonderfully. But The Witcher 2 was third person and some people prefer that.

I wonder that these concerns aren't trivialized enough, though. You'd think for a video game it would be gameplay, gameplay, gameplay...then other things. In an "RPG", add writing and character development. Then other things. In a "sandbox RPG" add exploration and non-linear plot development. And then other things. Etc.

Many of the best and most popular games stuck hard to their vision and carried us along in their wake. Sure, I wish WoW had had fun FPS perspective. Yes, I wish I could have seen JC Denton kick butt a la Adam Jensen in the occasional Third person...but either way the rest of the game was so good I didn't sweat the small stuff.

Although CDPR has a pretty good handle on that and have stated the game won't be for everyone. Some of us are going to be disappointed, but I expect the gameplay will be worth it.

You're thinking about this very logically, which is great! But there are so many things that can impact one's enjoyment of a product. 100 people can like the same thing, but they might enjoy it for 100 different reasons. Voiced or non-voiced can seem like a trivial matter, and when it comes down to it, it is.. but it can also help the player feel more immersed in the world.

This, definitely. Different people have different needs, and it can be important. I switched from being strongly in favour of voiced, to not really caring, then back to strongly in favour of voiced after playing Dishonored. It isn't just a question of voiced vs silent, it's also dependent on how good the dialogue is. So PS:T works as largely silent, but Dishonored really suffered because of it.

I'm expecting CP to be voiced simply because both Witcher games are and yes, I'll be disappointed if it isn't. I'll still play it though :)

What I don't want is TP view and not voiced. Playing a mute and seeing them just stare blankly during conversations is really weird.

The point is that if we get voiced protagonist we probably will have only one or 2 voices (male or female), and we get another shepard. What does it mean? It means that: you want to roleplay as techie? Nope, fuck you, you get retarded solo voice or cop at best. Shepard was an idiot because stereotypical idiotic US marine more or less fit to most classes in mass effect. BUT, you can't roleplay in mass effect as spy or engineer, shepard voice and dialogs doesn't fit to these classes. Now we could get character that is predefined and at the beginning doesn't have any class and during the gameplay he become one of the classes like fixer, cop etc. And his dialogs change depending on what path you chose. For example, our predefined character chosed to be cop and while the game progresses you start notice that his responces are more "lawful" than if you would chose another class etc.

The point is that if we get voiced protagonist we probably will have only one or 2 voices (male or female), and we get another shepard. What does it mean? It means that: you want to roleplay as techie? Nope, fuck you, you get retarded solo voice or cop at best. Shepard was an idiot because stereotypical idiotic US marine more or less fit to most classes in mass effect. BUT, you can't roleplay in mass effect as spy or engineer, shepard voice and dialogs doesn't fit to these classes. Now we could get character that is predefined and at the beginning doesn't have any class and during the gameplay he become one of the classes like fixer, cop etc. And his dialogs change depending on what path you chose.

Dont compare CD with Bioware......CD became better and better with every game but Bioware became worser with every game.....

Bioware became worser with ever game.....

So true. EA will be the end of them. Years ago you could buy every single game they made and you had fun, story, and a good gameplay. Now i wouldn't touch one of their games with 5 m pole... Same goes for Blizzard (D3 was the worst buy last year, and don't get me started with Starcraft).

You have a point, but I would much rather have quality of content over quantity. Having conversation after conversation isn't always needed

One more thing came to my mind...cutscenes.

I expect them to be present in CP2077 as CDPR used them extensively in their last game as a medium of telling the story. If that's going to be the case with CP2077(and I bet it will, they won't waste the capabilities of the RED Engine) the protagonist will have to be voiced.

The point is that if we get voiced protagonist we probably will have only one or 2 voices (male or female), and we get another shepard. What does it mean? It means that: you want to roleplay as techie? Nope, fuck you, you get retarded solo voice or cop at best. Shepard was an idiot because stereotypical idiotic US marine more or less fit to most classes in mass effect. BUT, you can't roleplay in mass effect as spy or engineer, shepard voice and dialogs doesn't fit to these classes. Now we could get character that is predefined and at the beginning doesn't have any class and during the gameplay he become one of the classes like fixer, cop etc. And his dialogs change depending on what path you chose. For example, our predefined character chosed to be cop and while the game progresses you start notice that his responces are more "lawful" than if you would chose another class etc.

As far as I understand CDPR promised they'd try to create separate storylines for different classes (at least to an extent), so I see no reason they shouldn't get separate VA for them.

Aver

Forum veteran
As far as I understand CDPR promised they'd try to create separate storylines for different classes (at least to an extent), so I see no reason they shouldn't get separate VA for them.

Because even if there would be different storylines then we would meet the same side NPC and CDPR would have to rerecord all the dialogs with those NPCs. It would increase cost of VO dramatically.

Well, you can't have it both ways. If you want to be able to accomodate both a Rockerboy and a Corporate in the game, the two need to speak appropriately. I don't think it's possible to have one generic VO that would fit all classes. The differences in social background, education, proffession and so on will result in wildly different ways of speaking.

Well, you can't have it both ways. If you want to be able to accomodate both a Rockerboy and a Corporate in the game, the two need to speak appropriately. I don't think it's possible to have one generic VO that would fit all classes. The differences in social background, education, proffession and so on will result in wildly different ways of speaking.

That's why there should be no classes to choose from at the beginning but a skill system that let's us shape/profile our character towards a certain class while we gain XP and develop our PC. That way we could go around this obstacle, I think.

@Sardukhar

I fully agree more content is always better. I would like to be able to replay this ten times and still be unlocking new content

@Captain Crash

Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive some people might consider quantity to be quality. Example let’s take FNV my first run through I went right after benny and met veronica right away so my dialogue was limited to how I responded to her and her questions. On my second run through the game I knew where the brotherhood of steel was so I made a beeline for them and joined them now when I met up with veronica I unlock new content saying I like the BOS. Quality through quantity

@Gregski

I am fairly certain that this game will feature a voiced protagonist. I just hope CDPR doesn’t fall in the same cinematic pitfalls that other studios have fallen in to they need to remember this is a game not a movie

That's why there should be no classes to choose from at the beginning but a skill system that let's us shape/profile our character towards a certain class while we gain XP and develop our PC. That way we could go around this obstacle, I think.

That means you'd have to find a voice actor that would be able to play ALL the roles and an extremely competent voice director that would tell him what role he's supposed to play at any given moment. Not to mention, there's still the challenge of making sure that it doesn't seem unnatural when your character suddenly starts to speak differently simply because the player shaped him towards a class.

Unless you mean that your character should ALWAYS speak the same way regardless of what class you eventually choose. That would be even worse however as it would devoid him of any personality. The VA would have to play in a very neutral way and the dialogue writers would have to create very generic dialogues. And even then, some of those dialogues would probably sound wooden and not very fitting considering the kind of character you created. I can't imagine making a single VO that would fit a rockerboy, a corp, a netrunner and a solo all at the same time and still feel genuine and interesting.

Silent would be fine, VTMB made it work.

Not really. VTMB had a decent plot but the protagonist was bland and completely not memorable. It worked because of the strong personality of the NPCs and the fact that the game was not sandbox, which allowed the devs to create tightly focused plot.

Top Bottom