Starter decks

+
I started the game in the middle of the last journey. I purchased the journey and 25 levels. Now I will not get any of these cards. This is really sad and when I am playing and spending money on a game the last thing I want to be is sad.

I will be waiting to buy the Tris journey until they correct this.

rrc

Forum veteran
I sincerely hope CDPR does the right thing and give the new starter decks to everyone. I don't need any of it as I have enough scarps to craft the next 10 expansions. I don't want to the new/recent players who had put real money into the journeys (and thus not able to create a new account) to be pissed by this and leave with a bad taste in their mouth.

Please CDPR, do the right thing make your new players happy.

Better starter decks idea is not bad idea, but the way theyve been released atm its complete shambles...
- as written above completely no respect for players that already have accounts and had payed for content
- powerful deck for every faction? Equivalent of scraps worth dozens hours of gameplay...
- one would think that it should go along with some promotional campaing, its a huge thing after all

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
The new starter Decks will be removed as soon as possible because they have been added by mistake Jason Slama made two Versions of each starter Decks a Normal one (the weaker normal starter deck) and the stronger improved one (Legendary Cards that improve the actual starter Deck where most them can be unlocked in new reward trees by all players apart from the evolving Cards which are offered for cash) and they accidentally added the wrong stronger Versions to the Game.

So if someone desperately wants the new Starter Decks he needs to make a new account asap before they fixed their mistake a remove them and add the real starter decks.

Can be seen on the Bandit Hideaway stream around 59:10

Last edited:
The "new" starter Decks will be removed as soon as possible because they have been added by mistake Jason Slama made two Versions of each starter Decks a Normal one (the weaker normal starter deck) and the stronger improved one (Legendary Cards that improve the actual starter Deck where most them can be unlocked in new reward trees by all players apart from the evolving Cards which are offered for cash) and they accidentally added the wrong stronger Versions to the Game.

So if someone desperately wants the new Starter Decks he needs to make a new account asap before they fixed their mistake a remove them and add the real starter decks.

Can be seen on the Bandit Hideaway stream around 59:10
Why create a new account then, when the fcurrent versions get removed from every acc? I thought everyone gets those reward trees to unlock the better cards for starter decks?

Why create a new account then, when the fcurrent versions get removed from every acc? I thought everyone gets those reward trees to unlock the better cards for starter decks?
For players who just started a few Days/Weeks ago and haven't spent any money on the Game yet it's worth a consideration and as mentioned above the Evolving Card's (Harald, Usurper etc.) won't be available in the Reward books and the way Jason was talking I don't think they remove them if you've already unlocked them by creating a account between the patch and the fix and that this will only affect players who create a account after the fix goes live.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
This new starter decks controversy is gonna generate so much backlash for the gwent dev team, it might be strong enough to affect their overall numbers of the playerbase...

Like, yesterday there was also the 'draw game' bug on the new patch, which enraged a lot of people but it got fixed in a few hours, and its hardly the first time a new patch has brought game-breaking bugs and glitches... After a week, maybe less, nobody will be talking about it anymore.

But this starter deck issue is more serious, it wont affect longtime players, but it might hurt their new player flux (the ones that started BEFORE these new starter decks), which are the players they need to retain.

And if, like reported above, this was ALSO a mistake, and they wont give this new starter decks, this wont solve the problem, it will only aggrave it with injustices, and the only solution might be to have to give them to everyone, which might seriously hurt their revenue on keg sales (not much, since the expansion will take care of that next month).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for going 'full DRK3' and writing another huge post, but here's my...

HISTORY OF STARTER DECKS:
(only the instances i recall, im afraid)

1. this is still in open beta. i remember i convinced one of my IRL friends to play gwent, and i know the starter decks were quite good as he put up quite the fight, almost won a few times, vs my decks, built with an already full collection.

2. the beginning of HC Gwent, and for a very long time after that, the starter decks were TERRIBLE. They had Geralt as the only legendary, but also a lot of bad bronzes with no synergy and it was almost impossible to win with these decks unless vs other starter decks.

3. this was the version of starter decks that was up until yesterday. A significant improvement over the previous iteration, already showed some combos with leader and faction synergies, but were still not good enough to be competitive.

4. the version of starters released yesterday, apparently a mistake (Gwent is known for being generous, but apparently they went too generous...)
Really strong decks, with lots of legendaries, some were even very close to the optimized decks used for metadecks, these decks can/could probably beat most T2/3 decks which require lots of scraps, which is quite ironic.

5. the REAL version of the starter decks they meant to release. We havent seen how they look, so i'll reserve judgement until then, but they're probably closer to the strength level of 3. than 4.

I love the idea behind the new starter decks being upgraded with guaranteed cards through the reward book!

But I also feel like CDPR could have avoided most of the negativity around them if they send a simple tweet that they send out the wrong decks shortly after they noticed the mistake.

Instead we get Slama and Burza explain it in a relativly unknown podcast (Its great that they appear on those regulary!), and the community has to relay those information across reddit/discord/twitch chat etc.

I love the idea behind the new starter decks being upgraded with guaranteed cards through the reward book!
Yeah, it sounds really cool and definitely massively helpful for new players.

While the card pool is not gigantic at the moment there are a lot cards that are terrible choices to craft especially early on, so this new method should, like Slama said, help guide new players towards building a genuinely good deck for every starter faction if they so choose.

Older players can benefit too, which makes it even cooler.

So only the Skellige deck was given an extra Legendary? Is there any chance that existing players will be able to obtain the new starter decks? I'm actually still missing that Madman Lugos.

Top Bottom