Steam version - game won't start

+
Steam version - game won't start

There seems to be a big problem with the game following today's Steam Client update - getting a black screen at the start of the game.
Validating the cache doesn't solve it (no mods installed). It claims that two files need to be reacquired, but after doing so, the same thing continues to happen. (In my case, it also only reacquires one tiny file). Revalidating still claims two files are needed.

I haven't got mine working yet, but if anyone else has got the problem, there's a few people in the Steam forums have managed to get it working. Things to try:
- Make sure today's Steam Client update has happened. (Dunno about anyone else, but mine didn't update automatically)
- If you're using Nvidia, update to the latest drivers. That worked for one guy.
- Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) (worked for a few people)
- Another suggestion that worked for one guy:
Open the run dialogue by pressing windows key + R (you can also navigate here from the start menu by typing run).
Type steam://flushconfig then press enter.

Then do a file validation check, on mine 2 files downloaded and game working again.

The problem MAY be Win 10 only, and MAY only be happening for those who haven't got the anniversary update yet. So if you have anything to share, can you identify what OS you're using? It may help narrow this down.

And if anyone has a solution, please share. Mine still doesn't work :(

@SigilFey, @Vinthir - fya. Support form will be provided shortly :)
------------------------------------------
EDIT: I don't know if anyone else still has the problem, but one more thing to try:
- Backup the game using the Steam Backup (optional)
- Uninstall the game
- Delete EVERYTHING still lying around in the steamapps\common\The WItcher 3 folder
- Download again or restore from backup

(That fixed it for me. I think it was some junk that had been lying around in there since pre-Redkit modding. It had never complained before, but this time I think the game was unhappy about it)

Last edited:
Hooray!

(But also very sad about the crashing. Wonder what Steam is up to...??? Sounds similar to the No Man's Sky Launch issue / fix.)

???
Currently downloading the Gog version. Which is very sad as it'll take roughly a week and I don't have Blood and Wine on Gog anyway :(

(But also very sad about the crashing. Wonder what Steam is up to...??? Sounds similar to the No Man's Sky Launch issue / fix.)

While the problem is almost certainly related to the Steam Client and/or Ansel update, there doesn't seem to be a mass hysteria breaking out about games not working today generally. Problem does seem to be specific to TW3 patch 1.24.

Hooray!

???

Currently downloading the Gog version. Which is very sad as it'll take roughly a week and I don't have Blood and Wine on Gog anyway :(

While the problem is almost certainly related to the Steam Client and/or Ansel update, there doesn't seem to be a mass hysteria breaking out about games not working today generally. Problem does seem to be specific to TW3 patch 1.24.

Oh...I mis"yay"ed. I thought you had figured it out. Read the OP before heading off to work.

"Have". "Haven't". Same thing when I've just woken up.

Last edited:

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
In most cases when the 1.24 version of the game doesn't launch on Steam/GOG/Origin installing VC++ 2013 helps.

Your case Dragonbird, as we by now know, is quite unusual though :) Let's hope we find a solution in our support communication with you.

Top Bottom