Suggestion for less offensive language

+
I know a lot of people won't like this thread, however as this is an open forum and for is making suggestions to CD Projekt here it goes.
Games, as well as movies and other media go out of their way to avoid any language that might be offensive to particular groups, especially gender or racial slurs, as well as any content that might be taken that way. That is great.
However, no such care is taken as to what might be offensive to other groups, and I'm speaking of the excessive use of certain expletives. Specifically, every minute or so you will hear "Jesus XXXing Christ" coming out of the mouth of practically every last character in the game. It's almost if no other more mundane and less offensive profanities could be used. The only expletive that still exists in 2077 it seems, is that one. However, I haven't noticed any expletives mentioning Mohammed (how convenient), Buddha, Moses or anyone else.
It is even used where it doesn't apply. When Jackie Welles makes religious exclamations in Spanish, these are respectful, non-insulting. However, V's translator changes them into... You can guess, Jesus f... etc.
This expletive is slap-in-the-face insulting to me and many other players. And it is unnecessary. There are other profanities that characters can use and still appear badass. You have no need of insulting a segment of your player base. And the players who don't give a fart about that, lose nothing if it is not used.
It could be argued that the expletive is used commonly in the real world and therefore it is "normal" for characters to use it. Well so are racial and gender slurs, but you don't hear them in the game.
A suggestion for future projects: When creating dialogues, just leave out this expletive along with gender and racial slurs and other assorted potentially offensive language.

Isnt that rather a problem with the american language in general? Whenever i see some movie or video in american original voices ****ing seems to be used more in sentences than any other word. You are no true american if you dont curse in jesus or your mothers name at least twice per sentence, right or true? :p

No problem with the f word, and I can pass simply saying Jesus, or Jeez, the problem is with the specific association, it's meant to be insulting. You feel it's OK, just like I might feel fine with something that you find in bad taste. Americans do use this curse too much, but not all of them.

I love cussing. The f word slides if the tongue just right. For forums purposes. I'm going to say 'flip'

Stub your toe? Flip! Mother flipper that hurt!

Your best friend is acting stupid? What the flip is he doing?

Your boss needs you to do a double shift? Oh my flipping god! That mother flipper!

A truly intellectual has a large vocabulary. One does not simply limit ones vocabulary. They dabble in many slurs and insults. True insults are the ones that don't need cussing to burn, but that's a whole nother level I'm not gonna get into.

As for offensive terms. I completely understand. Offensive terms are unacceptable. In real life. Video games and stuff can have some leeway, imo. They shouldn't spam certain words, and if they have words offensive to certain groups. There should be obvious warnings.

In the game; people murder, have sex, do drugs, human trafficking, and much worse than saying an offensive term. Does that justify using offense terms? Eeeerrrr probably not, but at this point I'm not sure what else to say.

Isnt that rather a problem with the american language in general? Whenever i see some movie or video in american original voices ****ing seems to be used more in sentences than any other word. You are no true american if you dont curse in jesus or your mothers name at least twice per sentence, right or true? :p

Hell yeah! I'll swear, and then use God and Jesus's name in the same sentence. Hell! I'll even throw in the holy spirit and everyone else in the bible for that matter.

Edit: fixed a few grammatical errors.

Last edited:
" J*** F*** C*** , have you gone completely insane you motherf**** "
The problem I think is with the language itself thats popularized in america (as simpson3000 said)

The above sentence could also have received a brittish take (i'm not brittish btw, this is my best estimate for what it could be)

" good lord, have you completely taken leave of your senses you wanker "

I think most would agree the latter is less offensive, correct?

Personally, I am not troubled with it in the slightest and I would even go as far as to say I do not like these types of censorship at all. Specifically not in a world where religion means as near as makes no difference jackshit in general. I personally even think that we IRL are already going too far with all that.

" good lord, have you completely taken leave of your senses you wanker "

Lol nah, brits indeed love the f word. We're also more than happy to indulge in the American phrasing, and a lot of the time we even use the accent - ie got my ass handed to me, or dumbass - instead of the UK staple of 'Arse' certain words often sound better your way, is the truth.
But anyway, I might not be the best person to ask as the casual swearing is one of my favourite parts of the game.

Which makes it even more funny for me because I'm not american myself.
English isnt even my native language.

With regards however to the game I think what they've done fits the best, both in terms of lore of the world (as much as I know and 'live' it) as well as the location of the setting, being southwest us I believe

Which makes it even more funny for me because I'm not american myself.
English isnt even my native language.

With regards however to the game I think what they've done fits the best, both in terms of lore of the world (as much as I know and 'live' it) as well as the location of the setting, being southwest us I believe

Ah, apologies. I stupidly assumed that if you're not English then it's a safe bet you'd be American.
Also I managed to completely trash the Quote system, must have accidentally deleted something - hiding my reply under the Click to Expand drop down. Doh!
All in all a classy bit of forum finesse!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't make a valid argument that expletives 1-15, 17, and 19-25 are okay, but expletives 16 and 18 are too offensive to me and should not be included. People's individual reactions to particular foul language are far too subjective to establish any sort of objective policy on a given term. (This is part of the reason that the game has an M rating with "Strong Language" being clearly indicated.)

Also, "Jesus @#$%!ng Christ" is an American cuss that has become almost passingly common in the US, as well as largely vestigial in its use. Vulgar, absolutely, but an extremely likely thing to hear come out of someone's mouth. (Sadly perhaps, I agree, but mostly because of the mentality and energy any such language is indicative of, rather than any targeted reasons for that particular term.)

Where I think you make a very good point is the sheer amount that it may be used. I'm pretty sure no one sat down and said, "We need to include at least five more JFC's in that last seen -- we're not meeting the quota!" or anything, but whenever any expression is overused, it begins to lose all effect, if not starts to become outright grating.

(In the end, however, I have to admit, I never really noticed. And I think that's a sign of just how validly commonplace of an expression it has become. In the US, at least.)

(off the topic somewhat but) In the UK the JFC phrase seems common, too. It gets mostly used in frustration and annoyance. Like when someone is at the end of their patience. (Edit to add -: or sometimes it gets used when you witness extreme stupidity and just can't help sighing and pinching your nose, muterring the phrase almost to yourself. I think this is the version I use, especially when I am aimlessly browsing the Internet, eg YouTube comments etc. A rich source of JFC material....)

But yeah I also had trouble remembering it in the game, looking back, so I think you're right - it must have seemed quite normal to hear the phrase.

I do think the OP has a point about the other religions being kinda avoided, possibly for tactful PC (politically correct) reasons given the overall state of current affairs. I don't know if it's common for other religions / countries to use similar curses - but it seems plausible that they would.
Either way, I can imagine it was simply a case of not wanting to create a lot of backlash unnecessarily by trying to include more cultural variation in that respect. There's quite a lot of sensitivity in the world nowadays and it's probably not worth the risk of adding even more potentially offensive material for the sake of inclusion.
Although I might be wrong, I do think that having none at all would have detracted from the authenticity of the game. Hence the colourful language.

Last edited:

I've always viewed it from the perspective of intent. The words used are less important. Yes, I would consider fuck equilvalent to darn when both words are used to convey identical information. I wouldn't consider uses of religious names or terms paired with expletives as offensive if it was not the intent either.

Unfortunately, I can't make a valid argument that expletives 1-15, 17, and 19-25 are okay, but expletives 16 and 18 are too offensive to me and should not be included. People's individual reactions to particular foul language are far too subjective to establish any sort of objective policy on a given term. (This is part of the reason that the game has an M rating with "Strong Language" being clearly indicated.)

I don't see the difference between this request and the way T&A or gore is handled. I don't have the same issue the OP does but, forgive me, his/her request is just as valid as requests in other areas.

I've always viewed it from the perspective of intent. The words used are less important. Yes, I would consider fuck equilvalent to darn when both words are used to convey identical information.
Pretty much this. Also, as an example: jesus f.. c.. also has no religious undertone or connection for me, so I'm not bothered by it. For all I care they'd called it queen blablabla effing c... Would still be the same as far as intent goes.

If you want to create believable world you cant polish some things too much so it wont end up as a some kind of parody. If you find some things offensive my recommendation is to not taking it personally - its not about writing trying to abuse you but trying to create a real world where those kind of words are present.

It's a fine line between discussing world-view topics (such as religion) in the context of the game and in general.
The latter is against the forum rules. Some content deleted due to that.

Top Bottom