[Suggestion] How to fix the food and drink system

+
I know this is far too early to post this and expect them to do it, but if CDPR read these forums, I hope it can potentially give them some ideas of how to fix this, maybe in the future.

First of all, I will just quickly outline what I think the current issues are.

There are way to much random food to be found in the game and way to many different icons for these, which will clutter up your inventory. The next issue is immersion, it doesn't really fit, as you walk past a lot of homeless or people that look like they have seen better days, and beggars on the street. When there are basically just stuff laying around all over the place. Like alcohol, euro credits and all kinds of things, which you as a merc care to pick up, but none of these people do, then they are not hungry enough :D And it's the same issue with gear from shootouts between gangs etc, it just breaks the immersion a bit of this place being as bad as we are to believe it is.

The next issue is that food vendors and vending machines are utter useless as a functionality in the game. You are packed with so much food that you would wish there were a way to not pick it up.

The last big issue I have with it, is the lack of hotkey. It's annoying having to go into the inventory and look through all the icons to just click some random ones that does the same thing anyway.

My solution to fix this

First thing is that buffs from food and drinks should last a lot longer and should be based on ingame time rather than realtime. Again you have focused a lot on immersion so this would be a nice little detail. So a buff could last 4 ingame hours rather than 10 minutes.

Almost all random food/drinks in the world should be removed, on rare occasion you will find them, either on enemies or in places where it makes sense and the player is only allowed to loot it, if it again make sense. So no more grabbing food and alcohol behind the counters :) Food in the game world can look different, but once you pick it up and it is added to your inventory, there will be one icon for each type of buff that they give.

To make food stands useful there will be two types of foods. "Fresh" and "Rations", where the fresh one is what you buy at the food vendors and the rations you get from the vending machines and the ones you get from random loot.

Only food from the vending machines will go into the players inventory, food and drinks from food stands will apply the buff instantly as it is bought. So you will have to visit a food stand for this.

Food and drinks from vending machines will be very basic in regards to the buff they give. So maybe as now they allow you to heal a little bit outside combat and it will be the food you buy, if you are poor or your buff ran out and is not near a food vendor.

If you buy from a food vendor, you will get better buffs, but also you have more options of what buffs you would like, so maybe some food boost health regen and stamina, some only focus on health. Maybe they could improve your evasion but a little % as well etc. So the player have a wider range of option to choose from and these could be quite expensive, depending on quality and buffs etc. And this could be mixed between food and drinks in whatever way fits.

Alcohol would work sort of in the same way, except these would be more of a trade off, where you get both a buff and a debuff, so they could reduce damage as you are less likely to feel pain when drunk, but you might get an accuracy debuff or a small movement debuff, make more noise and so forth. And as with food buffs, these should last maybe 30 min to an hour ingame. But at least this way they would serve a purpose without being buffs. And as with food vendors, the best options are found at the bars, but where you can buy them as bottles that you can take with you, since they don't last as long.

Since these effect would last a lot longer and is based on ingame time (depending on how much 10 minutes realtime is in ingame time) and most of these buffs would be applied instantly as you buy them from food vendors. You don't really need a hotkey for consumables.

And you could even make it so if the player didn't eat for a long time they would get a debuff, i mean you did say that it was more of a RPG than a action game. So again this would improve it I think. :)

Anyway I hope someone from CDPR reads this, because I think it would make for a lot better system than it is now.

Last edited:
All foods should have buffs for specific things and then have their availability decreased. The game floods you with to many consumables for sure.

Buying meals from vendor stalls should be specific buffs, etc Eat a burger for melee damage from the burger stand, buy ramen for increased hacking, etc. It should not go into your inventory, you should go to a vendor, buy it and immediately consume the item to get the buff. You should have 1 food buff and 1 drink buff and they should last 30minutes.

I think they need to change up the system entirely.

For food that you can take with you, have the small snack things, except drastically change their buffs so that they're actually useful in some way. Like making the 5-10 minutes IN GAME TIME of a point to a stat or something, or give a special buff (like damage resist or something).
They'd still be minor, but they'd do SOMETHING. And make such items buyable from vending machines and food vendors (all those NPC's that you can't currently interact with). Each area would have a specialty, so you'd find more Asian food in Japantown for example.

Then have the bars and restaurants. At those you should be able to have "meals". Where you get an animation as you sit down to enjoy proper food. Those should give decent buffs that last an hour or two in game time (not real time). You could only have one meal buff active at a time.

It would make bars and restaurants have an actual function.
And yes, stop making the food so insanely common everywhere, because it's insane how much is just lying about.

too many foods, and they only do 3 things health, stam, accuracy, but having to pause to use such a hassle. WAY TOO MANY variants of the same buffs.

Is there any benefits you can get from alcohol in the game? From the info on them you just seem to move slower and less accuracy. I thought maybe there's a perk to make them useful (for example like fallout) but I have noticed anything in the skill trees

If only the food was easier to consume...I'm constantly spam healing myself, when I could just eat some food and let health regenerate in some instances.

Yeah i think there does need to be a difference between food for storage and food for immediate use. I keep buying stuff expecting to eat it there but just goes to my inventory. There is an option on pickup to eat right there though, at least with some things. For example, i found a slice of pizza during a raid and was able to eat it to replenish a bit of health after the fight. Now its kind of gross to think about but this is cyberpunk where basically anything is possible in night city.

Top Bottom