Suggestion - Minimizing sync errors/hacking in Gwent (server-side)

+
Suggestion - Minimizing sync errors/hacking in Gwent (server-side)

We've all been there. That moment in a multiplayer session when you or your team are on the verge of victory, and your opponent(s) suddenly ceases all actions. The game pauses for several seconds .. and all of you are booted back to the post-match results screen.
I've been playing the Closed Beta for awhile now, and there were many occasions when my opponent suddenly disconnects when things aren't going their way... and hurray I get the: "Game out of Sync - An Inconsistency between the server's state and the local client's has been detected. Ending the game." This has happened several times during key moments to be mere coincidence and it is simply irritating.
I understand that during the length of the closed beta that there have generally been connection issues with the servers, especially during the release of the latest major patch. However, the connection is more stable recently. That being said, players are intentionally sync hacking when things aren't going their way. Understandably, they get frustrated when they've been dealt a shitty hands or their play didn't work out, but they're cheating their opponent of the time they spent in the match.
This sort of abuse can slowly destroy a community. What's the point in playing/investing in Gwent when every other players intentionally forces a sync errors because they're sore losers? The last time I saw so much sync hacking was playing Company of Heroes 1/2 .. this summary fits it best.
"Sync hacking is just corrupting the game data so that it becomes out of sync with everyone else.
The thing with sync hacking is it's possible that a bad or corrupted packet from Relic's server could cause a sync error, so it's not as simple as detecting the source of the sync hack error message and flagging that player as a hacker. Furthermore, it's likely difficult to reliably detect the source of the errors since a sync error simply means two sides disagree, so you don't necessarily know which side's data is actually corrupted and which side's data is perfectly fine. Because of this, you can't use the source of the error as a means of determining a winner and a loser. There's just too much uncertainty, so the game has to resort to the trust system.
Sync hacking is just like maphacking in that it's impossible to prevent without adopting a pure client-server model, which is impractical for an RTS. This is because each player's game state is stored on their own computers, and Relic has no control over what happens on a user's machine. Sure, they can implement memory restrictions and add integrity checks and stuff like that, but at the end of the day they really can't stop a user with physical access to a machine running their game from accessing elements of it held in memory. Detection, rather than prevention, is the key here.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/231430/discussions/0/364039785157151990/
Players I've encountered are generally polite and don't resort to this, but there are some that do, and it will likely get worse once Gwent moves onto open beta. CDPR, I sincerely appreciate the investment and time you've invested in Gwent, and hope that you will take appropriate measures to ensure that sync/drop hacking isn't abused. It's my understanding that other games have a 'trust system' in place to identify abusers and not award them when they hack.

Sometimes I think there is indeed a certain amount of hacking going on in Gwent. Several times before the positioning patch I've been disconnected and lost at exactly the same moment I played my winning card. Also recently I've started experiencing these "out of sync" messages from time to time.

Just for the record I have had that happen to me once so far playing the game, even though I had won one round already and was on my way to winning another when the I suddenly got an error saying something about games being out of sync and was rewarded nothing for the rounds I won.

So far I've only seen it happen one time and I do not think that the game keeps win/loss records, so the only motivation I can think of for someone to hack their way out of a loss is so that their rank doesn't drop and that would only be an issue in ranked matches. In any case I do not believe that this is a problem that is out of control or affecting the overall gaming experience in any significant way.

Top Bottom