Talk Radio!

+

Would you like a Talk Radio Channel

• No, because others wouldn't enjoy it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So we know there are radio stations. Which is great, but I've noticed that the vast majority of games where we have radios there are no "talk radio" stations.
I would really like a talk radio station where people talk about the cultural issues of the day, the politics, the religions, etc... What'chall think?

I kind of feel like eventually the radio lines would start to repeat and break the immersion and then I will want to turn it off after having listened to all of them several times. Other games that did a radio thing kinda made me feel this way.

I am looking forward to the supposedly implied TV and news shows and their hosts, and the stock market guy, because I feel like they will only say important and meaningful or entertaining things related to the story of the game world depending on V's choices, or just whatever current events are happening, meaning that they will likely provide relevant and useful information.

I kind of feel like eventually the radio lines would start to repeat and break the immersion and then I will want to turn it off after having listened to all of them several times. Other games that did a radio thing kinda made me feel this way.

I am looking forward to the supposedly implied TV and news shows and their hosts, and the stock market guy, because I feel like they will only say important and meaningful or entertaining things related to the story of the game world depending on V's choices, or just whatever current events are happening, meaning that they will likely provide relevant and useful information.
Same here. However, given the abundance of in-game radio stations and things to do outside the vehicle, I doubt a lot of players will actually run into a loop during their playthrough. The talk show and its topics could also be related to in-game events like quests the player completes or fails or is doing at the moment (imagine wrecking All Foods plant and being in a high-octane chase with a talk show covering your action live, now that's too much to ask!).

Since I'm already knee-deep in unrealistic expectations here - I remember that one time S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community kept talking about A-Life or whatever. The thing was supposed to be some kind of really advanced AI algorithm that was to control the entirety of the in-game world, including factions, mutants, groups of NPCs, you get the idea. Those who it controlled could go for unscripted war for territories, migrate, change the in-game world independently from the player, all in real time across the game world. I think it was a concept or something during the beta stage of development, and it was scratched due to reasons.

Seeing something like that implemented in Cyberpunk 2077 would definitely be interesting, given the nature of Night City and how many groups have their very own ambitions and selfish interests in one another's territory and resources. Yet again, that would be extremely redundant, at least before New Game +, which would, in theory, have a Freeplay mode or something with whatever I have described above. Otherwise, it simply opens up way too much potential for the NPCs to either mess up V's quests, the main quest itself or, if the system is developed and tweaked so it doesn't interfere with important stuff, feel restricted and conflicting with the idea of giving such freedom to the NPCs in the first place.

Yep, all that stuff above could work well with a talk radio done well. But a scripted talk radio that throws in some snippets of V's endeavors throughout the city is sufficiently amazing to me nonetheless.

Same here. However, given the abundance of in-game radio stations and things to do outside the vehicle, I doubt a lot of players will actually run into a loop during their playthrough. The talk show and its topics could also be related to in-game events like quests the player completes or fails or is doing at the moment (imagine wrecking All Foods plant and being in a high-octane chase with a talk show covering your action live, now that's too much to ask!).

Since I'm already knee-deep in unrealistic expectations here - I remember that one time S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community kept talking about A-Life or whatever. The thing was supposed to be some kind of really advanced AI algorithm that was to control the entirety of the in-game world, including factions, mutants, groups of NPCs, you get the idea. Those who it controlled could go for unscripted war for territories, migrate, change the in-game world independently from the player, all in real time across the game world. I think it was a concept or something during the beta stage of development, and it was scratched due to reasons.

Seeing something like that implemented in Cyberpunk 2077 would definitely be interesting, given the nature of Night City and how many groups have their very own ambitions and selfish interests in one another's territory and resources. Yet again, that would be extremely redundant, at least before New Game +, which would, in theory, have a Freeplay mode or something with whatever I have described above. Otherwise, it simply opens up way too much potential for the NPCs to either mess up V's quests, the main quest itself or, if the system is developed and tweaked so it doesn't interfere with important stuff, feel restricted and conflicting with the idea of giving such freedom to the NPCs in the first place.

Yep, all that stuff above could work well with a talk radio done well. But a scripted talk radio that throws in some snippets of V's endeavors throughout the city is sufficiently amazing to me nonetheless.
Yea I kinda get what you mean. That's very interesting, but I guess I look at it like this: The talk show hosts and stock market guy are just like the radio, except with video as well. They're audio + video, so if I'm going to be watching them sometimes, I guess I don't really need to listen to an audio only radio type thing. :shrug:

Yea I kinda get what you mean. That's very interesting, but I guess I look at it like this: The talk show hosts and stock market guy are just like the radio, except with video as well. They're audio + video, so if I'm going to be watching them sometimes, I guess I don't really need to listen to an audio only radio type thing. :shrug:
Exactly! Let's keep in mind the implant craze of the universe and genre itself, and also the calls V got during the gameplay videos - we DO have a chance to get an option to watch the TV (or listen to its audio) in the corner of V's eye. Kinda like Fallout 3 and further did with their radios.

Is it plausible?

Exactly! Let's keep in mind the implant craze of the universe and genre itself, and also the calls V got during the gameplay videos - we DO have a chance to get an option to watch the TV (or listen to its audio) in the corner of V's eye. Kinda like Fallout 3 and further did with their radios.

Is it plausible?
Yea actually I could picture that happening and not breaking immersion actually. I like the way you put that. Like V is being chased by helicopters (except they have no blades, they're just dropship hovercopter versions of the aerodynes) and the news report pops up in V's vision in the corner and V's like "YEA YEA I KNOW!"
That would be really 80's. It would be really Cyber. It would be really cool. :)

That depends on the framing device. If the conversation is framed as a live radio broadcast, then it repeating again and again is immersion breaking.

But consider this; It's not a broadcast, but a podcast. And rather than being on a reqular release schedule that would break immersion, you just have them numbered. You have old ones and the latest one, no dates attached.

That depends on the framing device. If the conversation is framed as a live radio broadcast, then it repeating again and again is immersion breaking.

But consider this; It's not a broadcast, but a podcast. And rather than being on a reqular release schedule that would break immersion, you just have them numbered. You have old ones and the latest one, no dates attached.
On one side, I'm worried about these things repeating endlessly at random because that would break the immersion. On the other side, I worry that they will only play once and I will miss it or be distracted by something else, and have no chance of hearing them after, resulting in that I miss out. I hope that each one only plays once, but that I can go back to V's apartment and re-watch any of them when I want later again. That would be very nice. :shrug:

On one side, I'm worried about these things repeating endlessly at random because that would break the immersion. On the other side, I worry that they will only play once and I will miss it or be distracted by something else, and have no chance of hearing them after, resulting in that I miss out. I hope that each one only plays once, but that I can go back to V's apartment and re-watch any of them when I want later again. That would be very nice. :shrug:
Well as an avid talk radio fan in real life talk radio shows do repeat old episodes. Normally on holidays. If it isn't a "live" event I wouldn't worry about repeats.

Last edited:
I'd certainly enjoy some talk show segments on the radio. They always provide a more deeper insight into the times and people you're surrounded by. GTA's talk shows on the radio were always amusing. I do hope we have some TV shows to watch too. Especially news channels. One of my favorite TV features from GTA IV was the fact that you could watch TV news updates which included features on events that you participated on during the story. The radio news did similar, but sadly in GTA V they reduced this to just the radio news. In Mafia 3, engaging in a large police shootout would result in a news broadcast on the radio referring to it, too. That was neat.

Talk Radio is literally the very best things in Fallout 3.
Actually unless I can watch TV while driving, I cannot imagine a modern setting open world without it.

I would love a station that is like a talk show. They could have different hosts at different times of the day, discuss different things such as current events, local news (shenanigans your character gets up to might appear), music discussions, interviews, sports, etc.

I feel it would be an amazing way to both world build and add a more immersive and organic feel to the game world. Make it less "NPCs walk around while you do quests and shoot fools" and more "living breathing world that has a center that isn't you... while NPCs walk around and you do quests and shoot fools".

If it's anything like Lazlow in GTA, hell yeah. Especially Chatterbox in III where he was the straight man unlike every other one of his appearances.

I believe it was confirmed that different radio stations will have different hosts
It's also pretty safe to presume that those radio stations are perhaps somewhat also tied to certain districts but I'm unsure of that part.
We know that depending on a district you will find people listening certain type of music, dress in a certain style and drive cars fitting to their " place " so to speak.

I am seldom hoping for custom radio station too like in GTA for use uploaded MP3s.
I mean GTA 3 and Vice City did those things and they are by now very dated games.
I am definitely interested in first listening to the original score and all the in game radio stations before I'd use my own mixes.

Does anyone have any clue what that yellow radio does that Nomad V was holding in the gameplay of NW Wire Ep2?

Top Bottom