The General Videogame Thread

+
It's clearly taking cue's from it's spiritual predecessor Wing Commander. The animations are still somewhat unpolished and will of course be updated over the coming months. So far I haven't encountered any game-breaking bugs that make me CTD or lose the game.

The ambience and scenery is quite something to behold, all I have access to atm is Free-Flight which is terribly limited due to the simulation boundaries (in-game mechanic kinda like in battlefield where you die once you cross the border of the map) and Vanduul Swarm. Vanduul Swarm is really fun. The HUDs of the ships you get are solid, locking onto targets goes relatively smooth and damn those aliens are suicidal, they'll actually ram your ship if you don't watch out. You have two AI Wingmen that have their own little background in a instructions brochure which you can look at on the site. I think this could be a great team based game for Multiplayer. But Singleplayer so far is fun as well. If you like a sort of horde mode, go for it. If you like multiplayer better, wait for a few months untill the servers are more stable and have more capacity. Back to saving the galaxy for me!

I think you just need to add it to your library, no need to install. Worked for Red Orchestra 2 at least.

So, I got Mortal Kombat a couple of days ago on the Steam sale and I'm fucking shit at it! I'm stuck on the story battle with Cyrax and Sektor and they keep kicking my ass! I haven't played a fighting game since Tekken Tag Tournament and it shows. I can barley remember any moves!
:facepalm:

Last edited:
So, I´ve been reading some reviews about this new game Murdered: Soul Suspect. Seems interesting, albeit a bit flawed perhaps.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m.../2014/06/03/murdered-soul-suspect-review.aspx

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/02/m...eliver-law-order-with-ghosts-review/view-all/

What do you think? Any of you guys got it?

I would like to know this, too. It seems no-one is really talking about it (save it for a Deus Ex HR easter egg that's been making rounds), but the concept sounds interesting enough.

So, I got Mortal Kombat a couple of days ago on the Steam sale and I'm fucking shit at it! I'm stuck on the story battle with Cyrax and Sektor and they keep kicking my ass! I haven't played a fighting game since Tekken Tag Tournament and it shows. I can barley remember any moves!
:facepalm:

Hi and welcome back to MK. At least it was return for me, since the last MK that came out for the computer was MK4 in 1997/1998.

The story mode has a somewhat uneven difficulty (wait until you reach the final battle, hah!). So before doing the story mode, beat the ladder mode at least a couple of times. This way you get used to the general basic moves. Also remember you can look up any character's moves in-game at any moment, by pausing and going to the moves list section (duh!).

In general, you have to move smoothly and have an idea of how to approach your opponent. I suppose you are not the button masher type, but some moves will leave you open for an attack. There are many combos that can be pulled by pure practice, once you realize which moves connect with which. Generally I base my approach on sequences of 5 or 6-hit combos because I don't have the time to learn and practice the 10+ hit combos you see on youtube. Also I play with a PS3 controller and remapped the front buttons to a layout that I find comfortable.

Remember you can change the story mode difficulty in the settings menu, but I'd still suggest you train yourself first and then play the story (tacky writing, fun battles). Also keep in mind in this mode you will fight as pretty much every Earthrealm warrior, so chances are you will play it in episodes while you go and train yourself to use new characters.

I'd suggest also playing the challenge tower. Lots of fun and difficult fights there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply volsung! I actually haven't played a MK game since back during my Game Boy Colour days (damn I'm old). I suppose turning the difficulty slider down a couple of notches helps as well since I've been playing on medium difficulty. I suppose I'm a bit of a wuss, but since I haven't played a fighting game in a while it's to be expected I suppose. I noticed the moves list in the pause menu, but in the heat of combat it gets a bit difficult to remember button presses. I've got a XBOX 360 controller which helps since the keyboard buttons are a bit too close together for me to play the game.

I suppose I should be in noob training right? I haven't used a controller this much since my PS2 days! :wallbash:

Has anyone ever seen a bug like this before in Metro: Last Light? Mutants just sit still and don't attack!

I've never seen anything like this before.

Attachments

• 2014-06-06_00001.jpg
    2014-06-06_00001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2014-06-06_00003.jpg
    2014-06-06_00003.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 29
Played through recently and found no bugs apart from occasional freezes during the intro. Great game btw, but weren't you playing MKKE? How many games do you play at a time?

I have a few games installed. I tend to play a different one each day depending on what my mood is. Do you want to see my desktop? You'll be either shocked or impressed!

Whelp, I stayed up all night finishing Saints Row 4 and let me tell you, it was worth it. :D I'm late to the party as usual, but who cares, my mind is blown. I'm a little sad that Volition wants to end this Boss' story here, I mean it just got good and I finally started caring about SR3 characters. I am so happy and sad at the same time ;v;

Playing co-op with my nephew and i've got to agree it was damn fun, ended up riding a Space Velociraptor through Steelport to the tune of walk the dinosaur, before meeting their king. There need to be more good fun games like this. Mind you i'm a total spacker with a controller, I really don't know how the peasants deal with them things constantly.

I would like to know this, too. It seems no-one is really talking about it (save it for a Deus Ex HR easter egg that's been making rounds), but the concept sounds interesting enough.

I'm playing MSS right now, i'm maybe 5 hours in, and it's fun so far.. it's a very easy game that's for sure, but the story, the city of Salem, some characters, are really good.. atmosphere is great too.. but man, it's more a game of collectibles than anything.. on every corner, there's something to collect.. some are neat and flesh out more the characters and story about the city, but some (well, most of them) are just annyoing .. collect this, collect this, hey, there's something to collect too, etc.. the puzzle solving and finding clues is very easy, much more than in something like L.A. Noire.. some every interesting ideas and mechanics, even though they are not very deep.. there are many ghost stories to uncover and you can solve some side missions (which are in the form of helping other ghost to solve their problems).. there are some stealth action moments, when you need to sneak up behind demons (ghosts which are forever lost and can never get their redemption) and kill them - vanish them.. some far what i have been told, the game is about 10 hours long.. and it seems it doesn't have any replay value, so if it's worth the money you pay for it? well, i paid 30 € and it's on the edge of how much it is worth.. better price would be something like 20 € or so.. so far it's a 7/10 game for me (don't believe most of the reviews, it's a good game and it's something different from most of the games out there)

Last edited:
@Blothulfur

Exactly! It's such a fun game to play in co-op, there's plenty of freedom and ridiculous things happen all the time. Then the story hits you where it hurts. D: I'm sorry about your controller woes, I could never get used to that thing either...

@misho8723

Thank you for the honest review! I heard similar things from other people - that it's interesting, but not super special, and that the reviews make it look worse than it is. I think I'll wait for the autumn/winter sale, 10 hours is... really not much.

I am playing MSS as well and I really like it. But it might be boring for some people because it is no RPG, and no action/adventure at all. It is more similar to old PC adventure games of old, and somewhat similar to LA Noire and Heavy Rain. I would say, if you throw into the mixer the movie Ghost, LA Noire, and Heavy Rain, MSS will come out as a result.

You play as a ghost, you investigate your own murder, and the murderer is a serial killer known as the Bell Killer who terrorizes Salem for quite some time. You deal with solving cases by fining clues in many different ways, tracking witnesses, and visiting important locations. I like the story itself, and the way it is presented.

Yes, there are lots of collectibles, and I love it. We can learn a bit about Salem itself from reading memorial plaques, about Salem Witch Trials, listen to audio-files of ghost urban legends, and read a bit about protagonist and other people. I am heavily into reading, so I find such thing being enhancement for a game.

The game is open-world-ish, Salem itself being completely accessible after the first in-door investigation (it is rather labyrinthine, by the way), and the rest of locations are unlocked when you progress and need to go there.

In general, I am very pleased how this game turned out. The only fault in it is as with PC adventures of old, after you are done, there is no point to replay (unless hunting for missing collectibles) until some time passes, and you simply forget what clues are relevant, and what-not. I would say, for me as a big fan of ghost stories, serial killers, and supernatural, this game is 9/10. In general it should be about 8/10, but it is going to become another underrated mini-hit for a certain interest group.

Last edited:
Top Bottom