The police are now the worst part of the game

+
Never had a problem with the cops. Maybe I'm just more careful, not killing civilians indiscriminately.
The choice is on the player, kill indiscriminately or don't.
Gangs chasing me, not surprised since V kills many of them. Wouldn't be much of a gang if they let people do them dirty and do nothing.
For the amount of gangs and corpos V kills, V walks around pretty much with no care in the world.

If I were more cynical I'd suggest that whoever worked on the policing system deliberately made it this bad and janky as revenge for so many people complaining about there being no police system at all, but more likely, as everything that has been in this game, they got it to a just functional state, patted themselves on the back and moved onto creating another barely functional system that will never be edited or changed, except for in bizarre ways that nobody asked for.

As someone who almost always knocks down a patrolling officer and then shoots him / her in the head to get the police after me for a show down....my only complaint is that too many come out of nowhere. I actually like all of the patrolling officers. I just hate how to many show up at the same time. Oh and I almost forgot ncpd shooting from super long distances and shooting through walls sucks as well.

Oh and CdProjectRed , we need new game +. Stop messing around and being lazy and add it in the damn game or at least give us a characer editor.

As someone who almost always knocks down a patrolling officer and then shoots him / her in the head to get the police after me for a show down....my only complaint is that too many come out of nowhere. I actually like all of the patrolling officers. I just hate how to many show up at the same time. Oh and I almost forgot ncpd shooting from super long distances and shooting through walls sucks as well.

Oh and CdProjectRed , we need new game +. Stop messing around and being lazy and add it in the damn game or at least give us a characer editor.
Why wouldn't cops use tech weapons.....that shoot through walls.
Post automatically merged:

Funny that you say that, because gangs will equally come after you when you haven't flatlined a single one of them, but only incapped.
So you think because you knocked them out that they shouldn't come after you......
I am sure of you went around town beating up gang members they would come after you, not let it slide.

Theres probably too many police in the dingy parts of NC. Its starting to border on immersion breaking tbh. How can NC be riddled with crime if there is a beat cop every 10 meters?

It would make sense for police to focus on the city center.

But overall, this issue was always there (hitting someone with a car and police giving chase). Its emphasized for the police to not really be a police (giving fines or talking-to) and instead just regular video game enemies who simply open fire when aggroed.

Despite what, according to CDPR themselves, their best efforts could muster;

2020 - Police are the worst part of the game
2024 - Police are the worst part of the game

I could sing this game's praises otherwise, especially when modded, night and day for all sorts of things. I don't even use the Rayfield cars, but full RGB color customization on the fly is incredible.

Last edited:

"THE POLICE ARE NOW THE WORST PART OF THE GAME"

The one big issue with the police system is its inability to differentiate a forceful act against a siv and an accidental one. I never target civs but yeah, accidents happen and you're immediately fired upon.

Don't want to sound disbelieving, or worse trolling, here - but I honestly don't get this post.

In well over a hundred hours of play I've received a 'Wanted' star precisely twice (other than during the car races, where they're almost impossible to avoid).

Second time was when I accidently drove too close to a checkpoint on the borders of the Badlands, which automatically flags the cops, and first time early in the game was when I was still learning stuff and decided to help the cops during a shootout.

I do notice when watching Youtube vids that a lot of players seem to drive like maniacs, constantly smashing into other vehicles and pedestrians, and refusing to apply the brakes when cornering, so maybe that's it? If you drove like that in real life you could probably expect some police attention.

As for shooting innocents, I've never done that yet, as I check my targets before shooting, and causing an explosion when there's civilians around is clearly not a sensible course of action.

Drive carefully, use the breaks, be mindful of other road users, look where you're going, don't make blind overtakes or turns - always assume there's some deranged idiot on the road that's going to go careering all over the place because they're drunk, stoned or stupid (again, as you would while city driving in real life) check your targets during a firefight and be careful around explosives when civilians are present.

Do that and the cops will never be an issue.

Sees police shooting scavs.

Helps police by shooting scavs.

Police alerts and shoots me.

WATDIDIDO?!

How about this one: Repeatable race, I let the other cars in front for easy gunning down. During a point when I could not target a couple of cars in front of me, they ran over some peds. I never touch the peds with car or lead..... but I get the police after me, like WTF ?? I thought 1.) the races are immune to prosecution as Claire clearly states. 2.) why me?? I did not run over said idiots standing in the way.

Sees police shooting scavs.

Helps police by shooting scavs.

Police alerts and shoots me.

WATDIDIDO?!

Like all videogames it's not a perfect system because NPCs in a game cannot make split-second decisions or moral choices.

But regardless, consider it from the point of view of the cops.

You're a beat cop in a dangerous city, and the nightmare scenario happens - you find yourself involved in a fire fight with a bunch of gang goons. You're pumped full of adrenaline, terrified for your life, terrified for your partner you know you're life is now hanging by a thread, all you have to rely on is your ability to shoot back and your situational awareness.

And suddenly you see the same gang goons you're shooting at being pumped full of lead by an unknown third party. What are you going to think when this unsub turns up out of the blue and joins in the fight?

At worse they're another gang member, or assassin taking advantage of the chaos to do a little house cleaning on a rival gang while they're distracted by the cops, and the most likely scenario is going to involve them turning their guns on you or your partner afterward. Either way you're caught in a crossfire.

At it's most benign you've stumbled across a vigilante who's also using you as a distraction to clean up the streets.

In a place like Night City the notion of a civic-minded citizen jumping in to help the cops out of the goodness of their hearts isn't something you want to take a chance on. It's a violent concrete jungle, where Darwinism tends to be the modus operandi. People are out for themselves.

Add to this the fact that Night City's cops are basically enforcement agents for corps, authorised to use deadly force for even minor crimes, and can often act with complete impunity and you can perhaps see why the cops will shoot V if they get involved.

like they're on ice skates, especially the Hoon
the hoon MUST be like that. you can drive supron fs3
This is especially annoying during delivery missions when you're trying to lose whatever enemies just spawned behind you and you can't avoid every single car in your way
that's the point. you can choose. fight or run. complete every mission option or just deliver the car.
i disagree. had almost zero problems with cops since 2.0.

To be fair the Hoon turns and corners more like a hovercraft than a car. It's probably good for off-road but I personally find it hopeless as a street car. In addition you can barely see out of the window in first person mode.

Other than that I have zero problems with car handling in this game and fail to understand why so many people complain about it - I guess it's due to what I mentioned earlier - they drive like lunatics, forget that the brakes exist and just barrel around with their feet pressed all the way to the floor, wondering why they have issues cornering, or avoiding traffic.

sometimes The AI literally start to go crazy when the game starts to spawn in these assets and sometimes you have vehicles literally driving into and crashing into objects.

Get this... yesterday I shot a camera out in Tiger operation in Watson area. All the Tygers are dead, no civ's, but I get a wanted star for shooting the camera....... seriously!

Alright get ready for a long one. To me, the police are hands down the most annoying part of this game. The absolute worst part is the immediate gaining of a start the second you hit someone with a car. Given that so many of the cars slide around like they're on ice skates, especially the Hoon which should be pretty much everyone's go-to until they can get the murkmobile this happens about 70% of the time I take a corner. Add onto that the AI that will just jump out into your path if you get too close and about half the time I'm behind the wheel I've got a star. Plus since we can now deal/receive damage in vehicles every single time I tap a MaiMai at 2 mph the person driving it dies and oh look, I've got a star again. This is especially annoying during delivery missions when you're trying to lose whatever enemies just spawned behind you and you can't avoid every single car in your way. and because you can't just kill the cops to get them off your tail, you have to lose them by which point its easier just to reload. It'd be fine if the cops were coming after you for something like, say, stealing a car, but for them to show up in the middle of a running gunfight to kill you just for setting off someone's airbag is just insane.

Next we'll talk about scanner hustles. Given that at least half of them are active muggings its inevitable that V is going to cause at least one civilian casualty. For me, this almost always came from the time bomb perk, a weakspot emp, or from a gas canister blowing up. Why the hell can Malestrom or the Scavs execute somebody with no reprecussions but if i come by 2 seconds earlier and accidentally kill that same civilian while taking out all of the criminals that the police asked me to they instantly know and are looking for me? Why would the police let V do their job for them if they weren't willing to accept the risks that comes with hiring an edgerunner?

Finally I have to ask what the point of all that work was. There's no way to get a wanted level except by killing people or getting to close to TT so the entire goal with a wanted level is to lose it as quickly as possible, something CDPR clearly knows as they've added in a free and non-optional way of immediately losing a wanted level. There is absolutely no point in getting to five stars unless you want to fight MaxTac and unless you're actively trying to reach that you won't ever encounter them. If we could pull off heists or the the police were treated like what they really are, the biggest gang on the block, then sure. If there was literally any other mechanic that affected the police then I'd understand, but to me it seems like a whole bunch of wasted effort on something that only made the game worse.

I can handle all that though. I've been playing cyberpunk since launch and so have stomached far worse problems. I'm more careful on and off the road and even though its less fun I'm still playing. What really upsets me is how utterly unimmersive it is and all of the myriad problems it creates with the lore. How is the NCPD an underfunded and understaffed institution full of corrupt and incompetent crooks with a response time measured in hours while simultaneously having near omniscient surveillance powers to notice the millisecond someone dies and a seemingly endless supply of manpower willing to die for their jobs? Why is the NCPD in the badlands where Militech already has contracts? Why are the police in Pacifica when the whole point of cutting it off from the rest of Night City was specifically for crime statistics and we hear multiple characters say that badges DO NOT enter Pacifica? And seriously, a peacekeeping force in Dogtown? That's the biggest oxymoron for what is supposed to be a combat zone.

So having said all that, here are a few proposals for how to fix what is in my eyes cyberpunk's biggest issue at the moment (excluding bugs of course). And no, an affinity system for the scanner hustles is not on here as it seems like a big ask this late in the game. I'm not a game designer or coder of any sort but these seem like relatively simple changes considering the changes that have already taken place.
1. Tone things way down. Have police come out to 1 out of every 5 crimes you commit or once you start making a real mess. Maybe the likelihood of a police response can come with the stars, with the cops not always sending a force over until you have 2 or 3 stars.
2. Add in some reason to get to 5 stars.Literally anything would work it could be some sort of reward for killing MaxTac or replayable robbery missions that you have to flee from (which would give a point to all the med/food stores). It could literally be just a 6 second cutscene of a stickup and then an automatic 3 stars or whatever once you leave whatever place you're in.
3. A better way to get the cops off your back than the facial cyberware. Maybe you could call the fixer of wherever you are and if you've done enough jobs for them they could clear your wanted level, or maybe its just a one-shot phone call and 5k eddies to one fixer (Regina or Dino maybe?) like Lester in GTA. This would add so much to the immersion and would be great for when we're trying to do a mission for El Cap.
4. Reskin the cops in Pacifica and the badlands. The first time I caused a ruckus in Pacifica pre 2.0 I thought it was really cool to have afterlife mercs come after me. They were harder to fight than the police and were a cool variation. Just switch things back to that for Pacifica/DT. We know that the people of Longshore Stacks will hire mercs to enact justice upon those who've wronged them so why not hire some for V when they get out of control? And why is NCPD going out into the badlands, a place that is just much not part of Night City as Pacifica is? Just bring back Militech, who already seem to have all sorts of contracts enforcing safety in the badlands (it should be Arasaka handling NC security but whatever). This part is pretty much only for the lore and MaxTac and Netwatch could still intervene at higher levels, which again would be lore friendly.

Anyways, that's everything I have to complain about out of my system. If you couldn't tell by the extremely long-winded post, I fucking love this game and just want to see it continually improve, which is why I was so disappointed to see them take such a large step backwards. I hope things continue to get better
sounds more personal

Top Bottom