The "Turn Card Into Gold Quality" Card should not apply to all cards of the same type.

+
The "Turn Card Into Gold Quality" Card should not apply to all cards of the same type.

Its broken. It makes 2-4 cards untargetable and if you don't have the perfect resources to kill it immediately it steam rolls way too fast. There is no counter, and the effect is clearly out of the scope of what any other combo can do. I mean just buff up some siege towers or ballista give one of them "Never leaves play" and clone it. Then you have MULTIPLE golden 14 power seige engines that do 2 damage per tower every other turn. It's not even reasonable to counter with straight magic attacks because of the range of cards that can be grouped up like that.

I mean, you have plenty of time to counter that and make sure all those new gold cards will be 2-4 strength in power each. It's a long process to make this combo work (3-4 turns), so if in the meantime, you didn't have anything to counter it, well you should rebuild your deck.

Guest 3857871

What? No! This would make fighting monster decks with a Northern Kingdom deck even harder. I need my 3 Redanian knights with 30 strength each as golden cards!

The problem is with the way northern realms works, they can set up two front to build up. If you counter one of them (and thats asking a lot since burn cards arent exactly drawn/used on every single possible turn) then the player can shift from siege to close combat for the combo. And being forced to use burn cards against a deck that specializes in buffing is counter productive, you cannot live on being purely defensive. The threat is always there and its always in multiple places.*

*More importantly it doesn't even matter if you defend against one possible attack if they have two venues to do the combo. Because you either take the initiative and counter any buffing of cards and they shift to another lane, or you dont take the initiative and they just get a freebie.

There were many special cards to counter power strength building decks. You just need to find a good balance between powering up your ranks and slaughtering enemy units. If you base your deck only on one of these aspects, you will have big difficulties against gold building NR or Munstering Monsters. As you don't know what kind of leader you're gonna face, make sure your deck is well balanced.

Guest 3857871

The problem is with the way northern realms works, they can set up two front to build up. If you counter one of them (and thats asking a lot since burn cards arent exactly drawn/used on every single possible turn) then the player can shift from siege to close combat for the combo. And being forced to use burn cards against a deck that specializes in buffing is counter productive, you cannot live on being purely defensive. The threat is always there and its always in multiple places.*

*More importantly it doesn't even matter if you defend against one possible attack if they have two venues to do the combo. Because you either take the initiative and counter any buffing of cards and they shift to another lane, or you dont take the initiative and they just get a freebie.
But this would entirely butcher what Northern Realms is, you would have to say goodbye to all blue stripes and sorceresses.

--

I admit, i am guilty of switching lanes when things don't go my way.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you have to remember: golden cards cannot be boosted by special cards. So it's as much a boon as a curse, depending on the situation.

Munstering Monsters

These guys are in the game?

Its broken. It makes 2-4 cards untargetable and if you don't have the perfect resources to kill it immediately it steam rolls way too fast. There is no counter, and the effect is clearly out of the scope of what any other combo can do. I mean just buff up some siege towers or ballista give one of them "Never leaves play" and clone it. Then you have MULTIPLE golden 14 power seige engines that do 2 damage per tower every other turn. It's not even reasonable to counter with straight magic attacks because of the range of cards that can be grouped up like that.

I was actually able to counter and defeat this setup with my Scoiatel deck. I had passed in first round and then the other player used the next few turns to build up the 28 points worth of golden towers that shoot every two turns, but they were down three cards and immediately passed at start of round two. I played Ciri & Geralt. The first two shots did nothing because they were both at gold cards. Then played Sheldon Skaggs and one Round 2 30-28. Went into round three evenly matched as far as number of cards were concerned and ended up winning.

But this would entirely butcher what Northern Realms is, you would have to say goodbye to all blue stripes and sorceresses.

--

I admit, i am guilty of switching lanes when things don't go my way.

I'm actually not even against the buffing or lane swapping or turning cards gold. I'm just against turning ALL cards of a single type gold. It synergizes WAAAY too well with the leader card.

Top Bottom