The Witcher book translated into English!

+
The Witcher book translated into English!

This news should interest all the fans of Andrzej Sapkowski’s prose! The collection of short stories has just been published in Great Britain by Orion Books under the “Last Wish” title. It’s the first translation of Sapkowski’s books into English. Everyone interested in the quality of translation is welcome to read a short [ftp=ftp://ftp.thewitcher.com/eng/thewitcher/extra/gollancz_sample/last_wish.zip]fragment[/ftp]. We hope that the success of the title will help our game on the European and American market as well!

argh, great news... (Let's go to amazon.com & e-bay...)anyway, will it be in your merchandise section? and if yes, when will you open it? ;)

I managed to get the book from Amazon last week and decimated it in two nights. Not done that in while! ;DHave to say, it was one of the best reads I've had in a long time, very, very good. It is an excellent translation, so much so that it feels like it could have easily been written in English in the first place! Its a collection of short stories, though nicely worked together to give a good cohesion to it all and the life of the main character. I loved the little references to myths and fairy tales throughout the book often having a dark edge to them. One thing you may notice is that the first story in the book is in the main trailer for the game. Very interesting...I wonder whether this is part of the plot in the game or just a hook to show what a Witcher life can be like. Can't wait for the game to be released!

I'm wondering if i can get the book in Poland... I'd like to see the translation.PS Could anyone list the short stories that are in "The Last Wish"? I just heard that the second translated book will be "The blood of Elves" (the 3rd one in Poland), so i'm just wondering if the stories from "The Sword of Destiny" are in it...

Yaboo said:
so i'm just wondering if the stories from "The Sword of Destiny" are in it...
they aren't the stories in the last wish are: the witcher, a grain of truth, the lesser evil, a question of price, the edge of the world, the last wish

CrazedWeevil said:
One thing you may notice is that the first story in the book is in the main trailer for the game. Very interesting...I wonder whether this is part of the plot in the game or just a hook to show what a Witcher life can be like. Can't wait for the game to be released!
The whole intro to the game is based on that story. It's the first Sapkowski ever wrote about Geralt.The game's plot is happening 5 years after the books (the whole series which comprises of 2 volumes of short stories and 5 part saga) so this story probably won't be a part of it. But we've seen some screens of sthriga in the game, so who knows :)

Just read the short .pdf introduction and I can say that I will be ordering the book asap :)I'm brand new to the Witcher universe and am eagerly awaiting the game, and now the book as well hehThank you for the peak in side!Regards,(btw , does anyone know if you can purchase from Amazon UK and have it sent to the US? (where i live)

Hello, im also new here, well.. this is kinda embarresing but, whats the name of the book? the name " The Witcher " does not work on amazon.com.. tried Hexxer, didn't work either. Help anyone? ;D

Yaboo: Yes, you can probably buy The Last Wish in Poland, just go to a mall, such as Warsaw's Arkadia, where they have English/American libraries and search. :] You can find everything for the English tourists there. :]

Roland44 said:
(btw , does anyone know if you can purchase from Amazon UK and have it sent to the US? (where i live)
Yes, you can. You can even log in with the same email addy and password you use at Amazon.com. :)

Abigail said:
Abigail said:
(btw , does anyone know if you can purchase from Amazon UK and have it sent to the US? (where i live)
Yes, you can. You can even log in with the same email addy and password you use at Amazon.com. :)
Sweet!! :D I am going to go order it right now! However, just curious, will the book ever have a US release?

Just picked mine up from Forbidden Planet. Why have they interpreted the last book first? Doesn't seem right somehow

A company named Orbit, part of Hachette Group USA is due to publish Sapkowski's the "Last Wish" in the US market sometime next calendar year, i.e. 2008. As to the exact date of the publishing date, as far as I am aware it hasn't been anounced as they're still working out what date precisely would be most advantageous to make Sapkowski known in the States. The company recently got interested in "The Witcher" game and is pondering to work together to promote Sapkowski's world one way or another. This, however, is unofficial information so things may still change.

This may seem like a dumb question, people, but since the British and the Americans speak the same language, why is there such a huge time delay between having a book published in the UK and the States??? I understand if it were two different companies trying to gain market share on two different markets but from some research I did I found out that Orion Books (UK) and Orbit (US) are actually both part of the Hachette group. Now, what's up with that??

To sume it up Messiah. I think it has to do more with red tape and the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing ???

Top Bottom