The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Mac System Requirements Update

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED

We are happy to announce that The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will soon have Apple silicon M1, M2, and macOS Ventura support.

However, we will be discontinuing support for OS X 10.7.5, OS X 10.8.2, macOS 10.15, and changing the new minimum macOS requirement to macOS 11.0. This is because the technology we are using, the JIT-compatible memory management and Apple's Game Controller framework, require a minimum version of macOS 11.0. These updates are necessary to provide support to Apple silicon chips.

We want to ensure that players have time to prepare for these changes. As such, we are giving a 30-day notice before we discontinue support for these specific operating systems.

To continue playing on macOS lower than 11.0, keep the old version of the game. To do it on Steam and GOG, disable automatic updates. On AppStore no action is necessary. On all platforms, if the game is uninstalled, the latest update will be the only one available to install. However, on GOG rolling back to an earlier version is possible.

Heck yeah! I love The Witcher, and I can't wait to hop back into that world on Apple silicon.
Now if we can get a Witcher 3 port, we'd be golden...

Super stoked about the updated Mac requirements for The Witcher games. Your dedication to making these gems run smoother on different platforms is really cool to see. It's awesome that CD Projekt Red keeps supporting their games long after release.

Big shoutout to the tech team working hard on these updates. Now, diving back into The Witcher world on my Mac seems even more exciting. I'm also curious to see how these optimizations will play out on Apple Silicon, it’s an exciting time with the potential for even better performance.

geralt in the forest playing on macbook.png

It's great seeing CD Projekt Red making sure more gamers can enjoy these amazing titles no matter what system they use. Keep up the awesome work! Looking forward to more updates like this in the future!

That's awesome! I've already played W3 via Crossover on my MacBook back in 2021, this year wanted to give CP2077 a try but ended up playing on PS5 & XSX. I wouldn't mind paying for the third time if the Mac release came to a fruition, though ;)

When will the witcher 2 work on M1? Myself and others on reddit have tried to launch the game and it wont launch / fails to initiate

Woohoo! Just found out about this today and I'm so incredibly happy! Between this and the Super Mario RPG remaster later this month all of my weird gaming dreams are coming true.

Witcher 2 is fairly playable on my M1 MacBook Air running in Parallels, although there are strange graphical issues (like black grass) that make it less enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to running this natively. Thanks CDPR!

I’m guessing the release date won’t be any earlier than November 15 based on this quote from the announcement:
We want to ensure that players have time to prepare for these changes. As such, we are giving a 30-day notice before we discontinue support for these specific operating systems.
The announcement was posted October 16. The present tense “we are giving a 30-day notice” probably means “this is your 30-day notice”.

Is it there yet? Guys please! I didn't play Witcher 1 in long time and now I only have M series Mac :3 My keyboard 'n mouse is hot and ready!
For me this is the game! I have so much nostalgia about it! And this is the only one that I have played multiple times in the past. Something that only Witcher 3 came closer to as I played this one 2 times. In my own scale that is a lot :)

Last edited:

Guest 4722424

I just tested the game and it looks like it hasn't been updated yet.

Also I hope they'll add native controller support through this update as well.

Screenshot at Nov 16 12-52-19.png

I just tested the game and it looks like it hasn't been updated yet.

Also I hope they'll add native controller support through this update as well.

View attachment 11373832
Somehow I doubt for controller support. This is Mac only update per my understanding. If controller was easily applicable would be added (I presume) to windows version earlier and that’s not the case. I quite can’t imagine controlling this game with controller - like the controlling philosophy for entire mechanics is not controller friendly but who knows. Maybe there is some solution online already in the form of mod?

Anyhwey: the update is still not there :(

Guest 4722424

Somehow I doubt for controller support. This is Mac only update per my understanding. If controller was easily applicable would be added (I presume) to windows version earlier and that’s not the case. I quite can’t imagine controlling this game with controller - like the controlling philosophy for entire mechanics is not controller friendly but who knows. Maybe there is some solution online already in the form of mod?

Anyhwey: the update is still not there :(
They did mention Apple's Game Controller framework if you have a look at their post, and if you google those keywords it seems to be sort of related to gamepads: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/gamecontroller/

I hope that's what they meant and I hope that won't be used only for The Witcher 2 implementation, it would be awesome if they'd also bring gamepad support to The Witcher 1.

Top Bottom