The worth of statuses with the introduction of veil

+
Because everyone and their mother seems to get veil with the next expansion, I really wonder what the point of many statuses (especially lock and poison) will be. While I'm not really sad about the expected nerf for poison, the hate for lock is definitely a big problem for this already relatively slow mechanic. Hopefully not another handful of dead cards incoming.

Because everyone and their mother seems to get veil with the next expansion, I really wonder what the point of many statuses (especially lock and poison) will be. While I'm not really sad about the expected nerf for poison, the hate for lock is definitely a big problem for this already relatively slow mechanic. Hopefully not another handful of dead cards incoming.

Purify still works. Also, veil isn’t that prominent, and unless they add a ton of it to existing cards I don’t think lock will be an issue. Veil also has a major downside in that vitality, shield, and other positive statuses don’t work either.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im also worried with the effect that Veil will bring to the meta. Locks are already pretty much non-existent outside of NG, and Veil can make it even worse. I guess direct removal with 4/6p specials will be EVEN more popular than it is now.

And i still havent figured if NG's Vincent Van Something can destroy Veiled units, because that will be BS, he can already insta kill Defenders, if now he can also insta kill Evolving cards he will be auto-include, even without poison in the deck.

Purify still works. Also, veil isn’t that prominent, and unless they add a ton of it to existing cards I don’t think lock will be an issue. Veil also has a major downside in that vitality, shield, and other positive statuses don’t work either.
It would be way too much work to purify the unit and lock it then. As it looks right now almost every good or not so good engine coming with the expansion will get it. If they are viable, it will be sad times for lock. I don't see many positive statuses in the game right now tbh, don't think that will change much.
Post automatically merged:

Im also worried with the effect that Veil will bring to the meta. Locks are already pretty much non-existent outside of NG, and Veil can make it even worse. I guess direct removal with 4/6p specials will be EVEN more popular than it is now.

And i still havent figured if NG's Vincent Van Something can destroy Veiled units, because that will be BS, he can already insta kill Defenders, if now he can also insta kill Evolving cards he will be auto-include, even without poison in the deck.
I'm pretty sure he will get balanced somehow, maybe he can destroy units with every status but veil. Don't know if he will be played much tho, he's still good against some defenders but poison won't be a viable thing anymore if you ask me. As there's no other way to deal with these engines, I also predict direct removal to be even more prevalent.

Last edited:

My understanding of veil is that they can't receive any status whatsoever, but can still be manually targeted for damage or destroy.

Is veil something that can be purified? If not, then it wouldn't be considered a status to be auto destroyed by Vincent. If veil can be purified, then *gulp* Vincent unfortunately will be in a majority of NG decks.

Imho you're all running too wild and too fast with speculations. Until we get the balance patch, we don't know how relevant is Veil going to be on the old cards (which compose the majority of the card pool). Furthermore, while Vincent is very appealing playing everywhere without a reason doesn't make sense, but most importantly he's 11 provisions and there is going to be a lot of competition for that spot now especially when you consider that NG has a strong purify to deal with defenders and Invocation/Vilgefortz for everything else.

I am really going to be interested in how the whole Agent-Spying-Conspiracy-Disloyal-Seize thing is going to work out. This has the potential to be really nasty.

My understanding of veil is that they can't receive any status whatsoever, but can still be manually targeted for damage or destroy.

Is veil something that can be purified? If not, then it wouldn't be considered a status to be auto destroyed by Vincent. If veil can be purified, then *gulp* Vincent unfortunately will be in a majority of NG decks.

Yeah, we don't know... From NR evolving trailer it looks like veil is a status, not its own category like armor. But we'll see.

Yeah, we don't know... From NR evolving trailer it looks like veil is a status, not its own category like armor. But we'll see.
I'm pretty sure it's a status
Post automatically merged:

Imho you're all running too wild and too fast with speculations. Until we get the balance patch, we don't know how relevant is Veil going to be on the old cards (which compose the majority of the card pool). Furthermore, while Vincent is very appealing playing everywhere without a reason doesn't make sense, but most importantly he's 11 provisions and there is going to be a lot of competition for that spot now especially when you consider that NG has a strong purify to deal with defenders and Invocation/Vilgefortz for everything else.
Lock is already in a relatively bad spot. Even if not a single one of the old cards receives veil the viability of lock will drop further because almost all of the new engines get it. Which means if they become meta and partly replace the old cards the situation will be even worse.

Last edited:
They said it's an anti-status status. And it would make no sense if there was no way to get rid of it.

So it's only going to protect you from lock/poison/doomed, not from obliteration/seizure/Yenifer etc. You won't be able to shield it, give it immunity.
If it can be purified, it will be no better than a single card defender.

They said it's an anti-status status. And it would make no sense if there was no way to get rid of it.

I agree. It seems very likely that it is a new status that can be purified. If it couldn’t then that would mean you could place veil on a defender and never be able to purify the defender. Also, we have no reason to believe that giving a unit veil purifies the existing statuses (defender, vitality, shield, etc...) Thus, it is likely the devs would foresee this and give you an option to defeat veil the same way you can defeat any other status.

Last edited:
If it can be purified, it will be no better than a single card defender.
It it could not be Purified it would be too strong. Need to consider the pros and cons of using Purify on it, regardless of whether you're an opponent wanting to poison/lock/bleed or the owner wanting to apply a positive status effect.

(Veil puts an icon on the card like all other statuses do, so there's no reason why it couldn't be gotten rid of.)

Guest 4404014

Not everything got veil, and the veil giving neutral is meh (imo). Statuses as complimentary control will probably be fine.

But pure control decks will not be fine, I think. Double Ball will most probably drop from tiers and become a meme deck. Veiled engines (those 4 power 1 armor for seven with an option of either 3 value order or 1/turn engine) and veiled 4 provision openers as well as R3 devoted evolving cards might just be too much against already inconsistent and lacking proactivity pure control.

Not everything got veil, and the veil giving neutral is meh (imo). Statuses as complimentary control will probably be fine.

But pure control decks will not be fine, I think. Double Ball will most probably drop from tiers and become a meme deck. Veiled engines (those 4 power 1 armor for seven with an option of either 3 value order or 1/turn engine) and veiled 4 provision openers as well as R3 devoted evolving cards might just be too much against already inconsistent and lacking proactivity pure control.
Slama said that they may change Assire's provision range, so it's probable that double ball will be a nonexistent deck

Guest 4404014

Slama said that they may change Assire's provision range

Who's Slama and why would they do such a thing? Assire decks are nowhere near op. Actually they're already kinda lacking in consistency, and the introduction of Veil will make them even weaker.

Guest 4404014

"Obnoxious" and "annoying" are subjective expressions. An objective one would be "achieving unusual win rates." And Double Ball is definitely not that. Nerfing - not nerfing, just removing from the game - a bottom Tier 3 deck because of control whines that have been exaggerated and blown out of proportion in every CCG since time immemorial... I really hope devs wouldn't do such a thing.

Top Bottom