Top 10 movies

+

Guest 3847602

I loved this movie! I also might be the only person alive who loved Vanilla Sky too.
Not to worry, I think I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying it's his favourite movie of all time, so no, you're not alone. ;)
Anyway, it's not like I dislike Vanilla Sky or anything, but I saw the original first and I think it's better version in almost every way.

I don't have a top ten. A couple movies I haven't seen mentioned come to mind though.... In no particular order....

1. Platoon
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Rounders
4. The Professional
5. The Departed
6. Django Unchained
7. Requiem for a Dream
8. No Country for Old Men
9. The Big Lebowski
10. The Descent

Shrek 1-2
Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill all movies
Star Wars original trilogy + prequels + Rogue One
Ghost in The Shell (1995 version)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Hebrew Hammer
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Gran Torino
Schindler's List

Really hard to pick top 10. I'll grab something from more recent times.

-Cloverfield. My favorite giant monster movie.

-Inland Empire. The most surreal thing about it is combination of Hollywood and Poland's Lodz. It's so fascinating to experience an American director blending US and Eastern-European backdrops into one nightmare.

-The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Shame will won't see continuation with Mara and Craig. Fincher was perfect for it.

-Mad Max: Fury Road. Best action movie since the first Matrix from 1999. George Miller commands the wasteland.

-Blade Runner 2049. It took me some time to get used to DV's take and it's flaws, but I think it's one of more inspired and memorable movies of the last decade.

-Ex Machina. Haunting and beautiful. Muh Alicia Vikander.

-Sicario. I'm not sure between this one and Prisoners - I love both equally. I picked Sicario because it was more emotionally affecting.

-Drive. Stylish retrowave. Gosling was born for the role.

-Her. I'm glad I didn't recognize the voice of the program when I watched it. One of the craziest love stories I ever saw on film.

-The Social Network.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

-The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Shame will won't see continuation with Mara and Craig. Fincher was perfect for it.

-Ex Machina. Haunting and beautiful. Muh Alicia Vikander.

-Her. I'm glad I didn't recognize the voice of the program when I watched it. One of the craziest love stories I ever saw on film.
I totally forgot about ex Machina and Her. Two great, thought provoking pieces of work. Wasn't there a sequen for Girl with the dragon tattoo in the works but with a different actress? Mara killed it the first time so I probably won't be watching that. Changing a side character is one thing but that'd be too difficult to ignore.

I totally forgot about ex Machina and Her. Two great, thought provoking pieces of work. Wasn't there a sequen for Girl with the dragon tattoo in the works but with a different actress? Mara killed it the first time so I probably won't be watching that. Changing a side character is one thing but that'd be too difficult to ignore.
Sony wasn't happy with underwhelming BO of Tattoo and chickened on going for more with Fincher. It seems they thought that audiences aren't interested in Fincher adaptations and see them as remakes, because there are 3 cult Sweden films that adapt the original trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

They changed the director to Fede Alvarez, skipped two sequels books to Tattoo and went for Lagercrantz book Something Something Web, that continued the Millenium series after Larsson. I still didn't read them. And most likely won't. Anyway, the movie was released in 2018 with a different cast and bombed at BO, despite Sony cutting budget in half in comparison to Tattoo which had budget of $90 mil..

Damn, what a shame. They had fantastic cast, they even hired decent actors for characters that were barely present in the first book and movie, but had bigger roles in the sequels. Like Elodie Yung as Miriam Wu...... It seems they were already writing the sequels and kept them in mind to preserve continuity and connect the films as best as possible. Mara was writing to Amy Pascal begging her to go for the sequels. Ugh, so much potential wasted. I always get pissed from just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

Sony wasn't happy with underwhelming BO of Tattoo and chickened on going for more with Fincher. It seems they thought that audiences aren't interested in Fincher adaptations and see them as remakes, because there are 3 cult Sweden films that adapt the original trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

They changed the director to Fede Alvarez, skipped two sequels books to Tattoo and went for Lagercrantz book Something Something Web, that continued the Millenium series after Larsson. I still didn't read them. And most likely won't. Anyway, the movie was released in 2018 with a different cast and bombed at BO, despite Sony cutting budget in half in comparison to Tattoo which had budget of $90 mil..

Damn, what a shame. They had fantastic cast, they even hired decent actors for characters that were barely present in the first book and movie, but had bigger roles in the sequels. Like Elodie Yung as Miriam Wu...... It seems they were already writing the sequels and kept them in mind to preserve continuity and connect the films as best as possible. Mara was writing to Amy Pascal begging her to go for the sequels. Ugh, so much potential wasted. I always get pissed from just thinking about it.
It made over $$230M, I don't know how they equate that to failure. That's why I don't have that many live action favorites anymore....the film has to be tentpole that makes 1bn or it's not considered successful or it doesn't get made. Hopefully small films find a way to survive because those are the only unique stories out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following are a couple other movies I've watched recently and enjoyed to throw in here...

1. Togo: Not much of a PG movie buff but very much enjoyed this movie.
2. Den of Thieves: Thought this was decent across the board.
3. Ford v Ferrari: Not big on racing/car movies either but thought this was well done.
4. Tusk: Older movie but worth a watch. Full disclosure, this movie is kind of messed up :).
5. Baby Driver: Possibly not a well known movie. It was enjoyable for me.
6. Anna: Basically John Wick with a female lead actor.
7. 12 Strong: Another war movie.... Horses vs tanks, what could go wrong?
8. Hostiles: Decent western.
9. Close: Noomi Rapace = nuff said.
10. The King: Netflix movie about Henry IV. A bit slow at times but well acted IMO.

I'll keep it at 10.....

It made over $$230M, I don't know how they equate that to failure. That's why I don't have that many live action favorites anymore....the film has to be tentpole that makes 1bn or it's not considered successful or it doesn't get made. Hopefully small films find a way to survive because those are the only unique stories out there.
Well, a movie should do at least double it's budget because half of BO goes to theaters. Plus marketing needs to be accounted too and who knows if actors or the director himself got percentage, which is usually tens of millions of $. So with a budget of $90 mil. it needed to gross 180 just to return production budget. They probably just didn't make any profit and thought that the audience isn't that interested. The fact that they just abandoned Larrson's trilogy speaks the best about what their issue was.

Guest 4375874

Well, a movie should do at least double it's budget because half of BO goes to theaters. Plus marketing needs to be accounted too and who knows if actors or the director himself got percentage, which is usually tens of millions of $. So with a budget of $90 mil. it needed to gross 180 just to return production budget. They probably just didn't make any profit and thought that the audience isn't that interested. The fact that they just abandoned Larrson's trilogy speaks the best about what their issue was.
True with marketing but I believe acting/directing salaries would have been apart of the initial budget, that's why contracts are negotiated ahead of time, sometimes for several sequels. Even with the budget doubled that's still profitable and consider this isn't a tentpole film and has a niche audience so I don't think it has as large marketing budget as say a comic book film. It was probably not as profitable as they wanted plus as with most sequels the returning cast normally want a larger salary so :/ oh well, wasted potential

The Terminator 1 &2
Hellraiser
Candyman
Blade Runner
Flash Gordon
Good Will Hunting
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Dark Angel
Two Hands
The Void
The Thing
Escape From New York
They Live
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (haven't seen reboot yet as it is finally coming out here on Wednesday) / all viewaskewniverse

I could go on & on...

Last edited:
In no particular order, because I can't be bothered to decide what goes where...

1) Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
2) Enter the Dragon
3) The Terminator
4) Aliens
5) 28 Days Later
6) The Lord of the Rings trilogy
7) The Raid
8) Blade Runner
9) The Matrix
10) Serenity

Honorable mentions...
Train to Busan
The Killer
[REC]
Shaun of the Dead
Kill Bill
From Dusk Till Dawn
Sin City
Se7en
The Silence of the Lambs
Akira

I have watched Psycho (the original) and alongside Jacob's Ladder could be one of my very favourites.

Hmmm.... Had to think for a bit, but here goes.

1. Ronin (de Niro)
2. Bladerunner
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. The Family
5. Wizards
6. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
7. Sneakers
8. The Italian Job
9. Stargate
10. Draft Day

DC9V

Forum veteran
I rarely watch movies...

from favorite to less favorite:
  1. Lion King (1994)
  2. Star Wars VI - Return of the Jedi
  3. Star Wars IV - A New Hope
  4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  5. Dancer in the Dark (Don't watch the trailer!)
  6. Traffic
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. Inception
  9. Spirited Away
  10. Forrest Gump

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Harlem Nights
The Cat's Return
Inception
Ghost in the Shell (1992)
My Neighbor Totoro