TW EE peformance problems

+

iCake

Forum veteran
TW EE peformance problems

Hello there.

I have a very crappy PC, but I think it should still be capable of running the witcher enhanced edition

CPU: Amd Phenom 9550 Quad-Core 2.2 Ghz
RAM: DDR II something 4 Gb in total
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 7550 TI
MB: Ge-Force 7050M-M
HDD: 7200 RPM SATA II

The game doesn't run well on that, it constantly dips to 17-20 FPS in Kaer Morhen and now in the first area after Kaer Morhen. I tried different resolutions (even 800x600) and the lowest settings but it didn't do any good. The FPS doesn't really change much in either case, maybe +/- 3 fps, but that's negligible.

So, is this what my PC is truly capable of regarding the game? Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? It's funny, this PC can run the Witcher 3 above 30 fps most of the time...

Only uses one core, and original Phenoms are as slow as they come. 750 Ti is good, but:
The particle effects when the Frightener appears at Kaer Morhen
The number of actors in play when you hit Act 3
will bring mighty CPUs to their knees.

iCake

Forum veteran
So no luck for me? I wish I could play the game, it's the only witcher game I've yet to complete and after having read all the books I'd really like to play through the entire triology.

Alas, it looks like I have to skip the first one.

So no luck for me? I wish I could play the game, it's the only witcher game I've yet to complete and after having read all the books I'd really like to play through the entire triology.

Alas, it looks like I have to skip the first one.

With that old motherboard, are you sure you're running off the 750 Ti and not the onboard graphics? The Phenom is a dog, but I've run with as little as an Athlon 64x2 downclocked to 2.2 GHz.

iCake

Forum veteran
With that old motherboard, are you sure you're running off the 750 Ti and not the onboard graphics? The Phenom is a dog, but I've run with as little as an Athlon 64x2 downclocked to 2.2 GHz.

Well, the HDMI cable is plugged into one of my 750 TI slots, so I don't see how it could run off the integrated graphics. But I'm not well-versed in this tech stuff.

---------- Updated at 07:59 AM ----------

Okay, I installed Riva Tuner to display hardware usage on an OSD. GPU is only loaded 38% at 1920x1080 lowest details, FPS is around 20 most of the time and doesn't go higher than 27 in that village near Vizima. One of the 4 CPUs flactuates bewteen 92-100%, the other 3 CPUs are barely at work at all.

So yeah, I guess @GuyNwah was right, the game only uses one core, therefore my CPU can't handle this game. So it's a damnable bottleneck here. Nothing I can do now with this.

Just out of curiosity, I monitored the Witcher 3 with the same OSD. All 4 CPUs are busy bees near or at 100% and the GPU is only loaded 46% at minimal settings. The FPS is around 46 at White Orchid. So I set all the settings to high and got 90% GPU usage and FPS around 33.

These are strange times when a new and, by far, better looking game runs better than a 9 year old game on the same piece of hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom