Valve offering paid mods

+
you do know you can download mods from the nexus, right? or are they charging there now too?

This is going to have a huge effect on modding as a whole. While most Skyrim's mods won't be pulled from Nexus now, the workshop will definitely see more and more mods in it.
And then there mods /utilities like SkyUI and SKSE, which most other mods require. What happens when mods like that are only published on the workshop? SkyUI's creator already sold out and I don't believe that he'll be doing it for free when the next TES or Fallout roll out. Imagine having to buy multiple mods just so the other mods can work properly.

Free version of a Skyrim mod has a 4% chance per spell cast to cause an in-game popup to appear, advertising the paid version of the mod

This shit is seriously not acceptable. Valve turned modding into a bloody farce.

"@Aaaaa! Seriously, why are so few people discussing how the developers can now get even lazier. Not just unfinished games - soon gamers will finish games FOR them, while they/the publishers still keep the money.
This is not a future I want to choose."
Exactly...

I don't care about Skyrim, but we can see that Unofficial Skyrim Patch is 3rd most endorsed mod on Nexus...So, in the future pc gamers will have to pay for bug fixing...

Not to mention SkyUI...You want acceptable and functional pc-friendly ui? Sure, purchase it on Steam for 10 bucks...
Same goes for future Fallout games...

Fuck that. And fuck them.

Not to mention SkyUI...You want acceptable and functional pc-friendly ui? Sure, purchase it on Steam for 10 bucks...
Same goes for future Fallout games...

(Creator of SkyUI)
Rest in pepperonis, there's TONS of mods that require skyUI and if a new version (which fixes huge amount of problems previous version had) of it goes behind a pay wall, you have to buy that just to use other mods.
:mean: :wallbash:

MMMM what could happen if Valve only take unregistered mods, pay the licenses and they appropiate of all these free work spreaded on the net?
There's a beautiful copyright issue here ... and who has the money win.

I keep trying to find words for all of this, but it's just left me speechless. I'm all for supporting the modders who devoted their free time to making the experience of thousands of players even better (and, in case of Skyrim, improved that experience by a tenfold, fixing some severe mistakes Bethesda couldn't be bothered to polish up). This just feels like a kick in the teeth, to both the players and the modders. 25% cut is nothing but an insult; the only option I, as a player, have is to stop supporting everyone involved.

If "simpler" mods like armours and followers are causing this much drama, I fear for what's going to happen with large projects like Skywind. :[

I still can not comprehend how Valve/Bethesda thought they could pull this shit?

As a commentator on another site said, years of goodwill that Valve has accumulated just went down the drain, and for what?

I started off putting most of the blame on Bethesda, but the more I read, the more angry I'm getting at Valve, for doing so much to ensure this is a failure - the lack of QA, the lack of interest in theft, the ridiculous money-back offer.

But Bethesda is still the worst. It's one thing to have a business model that's based on "Do half the work, then rake in the money as others finish it", it's beyond belief to then take the money from those who made your game a success. There is no way they should be taking 50%. If they were happy enough to let people distribute mods for free and just rake in the game money, then they should back off now as well.

The thing that frustrates me is Valve and Bethesda won't make shite off this compared to their regular revenue, and yet they're still shafting the modders with such a huge cut. It's like they developed a model where no one really wins.

Hopefully this is not true. I mean what the hell..?
actually it's true, just check this group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop) as well as this thread (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop/discussions/0/618460171316953869/)
basically anyone who criticizes the whole "paid mods deal", gets silenced, banned and sometimes banned permanently (loosing his account).
there are some people who even get banned for just joining groups that are again this stuff.

One thing bothers me...

For example, I am waiting for NVB 3...And when someguy2000 finally finish it, can Valve or Beth stop him to release it on Nexus? Is there a "legal" way to make NVB3 some sort of Steam workshop exclusive?

Something like. "Someguy is using our game assets and we demand that NVB3 must be released on Steam or not released at all."

actually it's true, just check this group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop) as well as this thread (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop/discussions/0/618460171316953869/)
basically anyone who criticizes the whole "paid mods deal", gets silenced, banned and sometimes banned permanently (loosing his account).
there are some people who even get banned for just joining groups that are again this stuff.
Holy crap. Never in my life did I expect Valve to fall this low.

We've.. we've created a monster..

One thing bothers me...

For example, I am waiting for NVB 3...And when someguy2000 finally finish it, can Valve or Beth stop him to release it on Nexus? Is there a "legal" way to make NVB3 some sort of Steam workshop exclusive?

Something like. "Someguy is using our game assets and we demand that NVB3 must be released on Steam or not released at all."

normally, no. he should be able to release it on whatever platform he wants, and there hasn't been any sort of official release stating that all mods should be exclusive to the steamworkshops.

(but i can definitly see it happen in the future)

The even sadder thing is that Steam has the audacity to run a sale on Skyrim while all this is going on. Fortunately, Skyrim's user rating on Steam has dropped 6% in 72 hours. People are bombarding the platform with negative reviews and downvoting any positive reviews into oblivion (oblivion --get it? haha.)

Top Bottom