VR Editions: Yay or Nay

+

Do you think Cyperpunk 2077 should come to VR?

• Total voters
Much fun as it'd be to explore Night City in VR don't think VR is ready for first person movement yet.

Unless your one of the rare people who cannot have their VR legs, it's working very well.
It's even working even better than non VR, as I can do platforming in VR FPP while I cannot in flat FPP.

And what are the "most successful" VR games you are talking about, because all big VR games I play are games where you can move normally.
Post automatically merged:

Short: I'd love to try it and maybe CDPR will do it in the future, but I guess only when the game has had its 2 -3 Expansions.

Long: They'd have to make it really great to control, for me that means first and foremost: Detach virtual head movement from mouse movement (i. e. standard FPP-controls) and connect virtual head movement to real head movement.
Mouse movement must control reticule movement, so the reticule isn't necessarily centered anymore (you can focus one point with your eyes, but point the gun at another point).

But this also means, to turn around, you need a new type of control input, because you can't turn around with your whole body without turning away from mouse/keyboard – for example, holding down the right mouse button to switch to mouse-movement-equals-head-movement for a time.

Sounds complex? Yeah, it is. So I would only be interested, if they find a way around those problems.

I don't really understand.
In VR games head movement and locomotion movement and weapon movement aren't linked: you can look in a direction while moving in another while shooting in a third direction.

Last edited:
I don't really understand.
In VR games head movement and locomotion movement and weapon movement aren't linked: you can look in a direction while moving in another while shooting in a third direction.

If I'm understanding correctly, it means "do not let the mouse change your facing". Instead, moving the mouse only moves a "reticle" around in the world. So I could aim at a target with the mouse, fire, and while still firing, turn and look over my shoulder while keeping my gun trained on the target "by feel". I don't need to actually be looking at it.

If I did understand that correctly, I'm not sure how movement would work. If not the mouse, there would still need to be an analog control of some sort to change your physical facing in the world. Unless you intend to be spinning your physical body in the the real world constantly, which could actually be a bit dangerous. Turn around enough times, and you're liable to drift toward walls or furniture or whatnot.

I honestly would love a VR edition or compatibility patched in at some point. one of my favorite games on Occulus quest is a FPS game i forget the name as it was on my brothers occulus and im not getting my own till xmas little after my ps5

I think a vanilla day one edition of VR for Cyberpunk 2077 would be amazing, but vehicles could be abysmal to expect devs to try tackling due to motion sickness.

As far as conversations and combat though, I feel it would be doable in a couple years and something that would make revisiting the game after the initial hype train well worth it.

I think a vanilla day one edition of VR for Cyberpunk 2077 would be amazing, but vehicles could be abysmal to expect devs to try tackling due to motion sickness.

As far as conversations and combat though, I feel it would be doable in a couple years and something that would make revisiting the game after the initial hype train well worth it.
actually if forced fpp while driving for vr motion sickness for driving would be all but eliminate as wouldnt be any different from a real car.

Do you know that very few people cannot defeat VR motion sickness?
Personally once I had my VR legs, totally was able to move fast without becoming sick, be it in a modded Fallout 4 when I was playing "Iron Man" flying all over or in games like Lone Echo were in the last pas of the game and a few other puzzle you have to be fast too.

actually if forced fpp while driving for vr motion sickness for driving would be all but eliminate as wouldnt be any different from a real car.

I think most people that experience motion sickness or vertigo in VR are suffering from the way movement is "simulated". Hence, if VR affects someone, it's likely to do it across the board. The same way that some people are affected only by simulated head-bobbing. Turn that aspect off, and they're right as rain playing a shooter or something.

Personally once I had my VR legs, totally was able to move fast without becoming sick, be it in a modded Fallout 4 when I was playing "Iron Man" flying all over or in games like Lone Echo were in the last pas of the game and a few other puzzle you have to be fast too.

Yeah, it's all in the brain in the end. For years, I was never able to read in a car. I would instantly get nauseous enough to throw up. Eventually, a doctor told me to try wearing sunglasses while reading. It worked perfectly.

Reason: The brain was interpreting the motion in my peripheral vision as disconnected from the near field vision (the book I was reading). By putting a lens close to my eye, it tricks the brain into thinking that the peripheral vision is actually part of the nearest field -- the sunglass lens. Since the book also exists on that same field now (because of how the eye naturally focuses on things when viewing something through a translucent film), it basically made far field, periphery, and near field all near field.

If I take the sunglasses off without closing my eyes while reading, the wave of nausea that hits me literally makes my head spin. As long as I keep them on, I can read for hours on end without a problem. The brain is weird.

Last edited:
I think most people that experience motion sickness or vertigo in VR are suffering from the way movement is "simulated". Hence, if VR affects someone, it's likely to do it across the board. The same way that some people are affected only by simulated head-bobbing. Turn that aspect off, and they're right as rain playing a shooter or something.
from what ive done I have little dizzyness from walking in vr but if doing something ie driving where my character riding something im fine.

i think one of the devs confirmed that there will be no VR so i doubt it will happen

Once again, the way 3D technology works, when you "stack" 3D layers, like "floors" of a building, the pathfinding becomes exponentially harder to manage. Hence, if we want levels / world maps that are as horizontal as they are vertical...VR becomes a massive challenge.

Once again, the way 3D technology works, when you "stack" 3D layers, like "floors" of a building, the pathfinding becomes exponentially harder to manage. Hence, if we want levels / world maps that are as horizontal as they are vertical...VR becomes a massive challenge.

Bethesda was able to do it (with apparently not so much efforts), I'm sur CDprojekt dev' are at least as equally competent.

Hmmm.
Do some people have more sensitive inner ears than others maybe?
I can handle VR at my friends for about 20 minutes then I have to stop but my Mom when I lived with her couldn't even look at the TV if I played FPS's cuz she'd feel sick.

VR and that 3D TV fad gave me headaches. And for some reason Doom 3 made me nauseous after playing it for more than an hour at a time. It was probably due to the engine with weird curving effects at the edge of the screen.

More power to people who enjoy VR, but this is one gamer who will never enjoy it. That said, I have no problem playing triple-screen that was angled around me. I had a Matrox triplehead device years ago when 1680x1050 was becoming a standard resolution. And I have no problem with arcade games that have a wrap-around around screen or even arcade games inside pods, such as the Battletech pods. But when something wraps around my head and blocks all other visual feedback, that's when I get headaches.

Bethesda was able to do it (with apparently not so much efforts), I'm sur CDprojekt dev' are at least as equally competent.

Bethesda's worlds don't work the same way. When you go into a building in a Bethesda game, that's a totally separate "cell". Hence, they're not rendering and trying to maintain vertices for the whole world...they're only rendering and drawing for that (comparatively) tiny, internal area. You'll also notice that many dungeons are broken up by load-doors that transfer the player to a different dungeon "section". Those are also totally separate cells.

Hence, the distance between point X=0,Y=0 on a given map will never be that far. For the overworld, the game is also divided up into cells that connect via almost imperceptible loading stages, loaded in using the "grids to load" function (set by default to a value of 5), meaning than only a 5x5 block of cells is actively loaded into the game at any point. This means that much more freedom is available to handle the nuances of NPCs on different vertical levels.

Now, if I try to do the same thing in a game like TW3, GTA, or ArmA, where assets are being constantly streamed in to create that "seamless" gameplay feeling...the values involved can get very big, very quickly. Trying to keep that fluid using only one set of vertices can be daunting and resource-heavy. Trying to do two totally different sets simultaneously (as would be required for the offset image between left-eye / right-eye in VR), and it can quickly melt the engine. That's why most VR games tend to be on pretty simple planes...or set in open space, like flight sims.

Top Bottom