Waiting/Passing the time in Cyberpunk 2077

+
I was thinking that something on the lines of maybe pluggin into the web can pass time, find and access point or something of the like, sorta in the mindset of cybersleep, or inspiration from "Ghost in the Shell." Idk, my idea, this and/or hoping something of the drug effects in "Altered Carbon" when Tak is taking whatever was in the bag he bought.

While development always, eventually, has to have constraints in what you can add in a limited time and resource frame, from a consumer perspective it's always "The more the merrier".

If we get a diverse set of "side activities" and at least half a dozen, then I consider that covered decently or even well depending on the quality of them. Since I don't really know what it will be I can of course only keep it very abstract or general here.

Some "mundane" (I know, subjective) stuff is ok, if other things shine in comparison.

If the time of day has any bearing on the gameplay, I'd prefer if it wasn't tied to a particular in-game object / location.
Going to the inn, ordering wine and cracklings, going to bed and then waiting for the quest giver to wake up the next day was fun in KC:D twice, three times even, but after the tenth time it made me drop the game for months.

If the time of day has any bearing on the gameplay, I'd prefer if it wasn't tied to a particular in-game object / location.
Going to the inn, ordering wine and cracklings, going to bed and then waiting for the quest giver to wake up the next day was fun in KC:D twice, three times even, but after the tenth time it made me drop the game for months.

I didn't play to KC: D but by looking at playthroughs once or twice, the pacing seem really slow (realistic duration of movements I guess, as said I didn't play) but also the day/night cycle is disproportionately short, that left me with incomprehension. Same goes with RDR2.

I may have pointed out the absurdity of not displaying a "realistic" day/night cycle length in this forum before, but by reading your comment it bugged me out once more :

(rant mode on) Why all developers are just AFRAID of the eventuality that a player COULD feel bored because the day/night cycle is realistic (or close to real) ? And what assumption makes it that the players COULD enjoy the game more if the day/night cycle is tremendously fast (like less than 1 - 2 hours 24h cycle) ?? And worse, what's the point of having slow paced animation and lots of immersive animations, in a game that goes "fast" ? So you can enjoy the view of the sun falling off the sky like a crashed plane while you're eating your morning cereals ? How immersive is that LOL. (rant: off)

In conclusion, if we would want to end frustration from watching repetitive (non story driven, not during combat) animations and scenes, I'd suggest either, having the "skip scene" button ; or having a realistic length of the day, and everyone should be happy (both are compatible if the skip scene skips the time too, then stops in the need of resolving a fight or some important NPC comes in to talk).

In conclusion, if we would want to end frustration from watching repetitive (non story driven, not during combat) animations and scenes, I'd suggest either, having the "skip scene" button ; or having a realistic length of the day, and everyone should be happy (both are compatible if the skip scene skips the time too, then stops in the need of resolving a fight or some important NPC comes in to talk).

I very much agree that an option to skip repetitive scenes and animations is a must. I like having these little moments in a game to make the world feel more tangible, but it can absolutely become a problem if players cant get rid of them on command. Personally, I think adding a toggle for these kinds of things would be worthwhile. Skip buttons let the player be more selective, but always mashing skip can be irritating. A toggle can get rid of that for players who don't want to see every little detail.

As for a more realistic day timer, I agree to a point. I think that a longer cycle would be very welcome, but I think a 24 hour day in game is too much. I think 6 would be a great plenty; long enough to really take your time and enjoy the atmosphere, not so long that it would take an hour to watch a sunset in game. I agree that a 2 hour day is pretty frustrating if you want to just enjoy the atmosphere for a while, but I also want to feel the time pass during play. A fully realistic cycle is just too long for me to get that sense that time is passing in the game without pressing fast forward.

As posted before the day / night cycle in TW3 was 90 mins so i think it will be very close to that .

Hype is a bad thing. Why? Because everybody wants time to run faster..

When you are old enough, you do not want time to run out faster. And also, often too much anticipation dampens enthusiasm as the moment comes.

So I do nothing extraordinary. I only enjoy the slow passage of time. :smart:

My friend is GMing a Carbon 2185 RPG campaign (the game is basically a cyberpunk version of D&D 5.ed) in which I'm playing.

I might try to GM something myself at some point... Im also interested in Interface Zero, which is based on Savage worlds.

One or both of these couldve been Cyberpunk red if they had actually got the game out in time.

Top Bottom