Weekly Poll 11/13/18 - Netrunning General

+

What kind of Netrunning are you Hoping for?

• Total voters
Rawls asks you thisly:

This week we're looking at Netrunning. For the uninitiated - "Netrunners are ... savvy computer hackers ... with a cybernetically augmented interface system implanted into their body. Using their brain-computer interface implants, they roam the Internet, looking for systems to hack and information to sell to Fixers. Although anyone can enter the Net, most people can't use the "Menu." The Menu is a group of Applications (Apps) that are Interface programs that allows a Netrunner to [perform various hacking related actions]."http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Netrunner

Or as said by CDPR Dev Philip Weber "If you want to say 'well, I just want to play Cyberpunk as a netrunner' and you want to spend all your skills there, we want to design quests in a way that you feel like you're playing it as a netrunner. It won't be that instead of kicking open a door you hack it open instead, no. We're trying to make it interesting so the netrunner really has a different path.

The fantasy of the netrunner is they can almost use the net like magic. Of course, first you have to get into the network of wherever you are, but once you are in there you are in control. If there's a security facility - you don't need to be afraid of turrets, you can turn them on your enemies while you are back there sitting safe. So this way you can have that fantasy - but the important part is we don't want to get to a situation where we are saying 'the netrunner is the guy who cannot fight'. We want to give you as a netrunner interesting skills, so if there is combat you can use those skills in an interesting way." https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-24-the-big-cyberpunk-2077-interview

Current Netrunning - SUPER NOT COMMITTED ON BY CDPR DEMO ONLY SERIOUSLY:

So, with this in mind, a super simple question to start, since we lacketh info at this point and will return later when we less...lacketh...you get it.

List of Polls to date: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/collected-weekly-polls-thread.10984601/

Last edited:
My dream is that I can have a virtual world that I can live and die in, regretfully coming back to the meat space to perform the necessary disgusting bio things until I can save enough money to discard this disgusting rotting flesh once and for all.

I would be satisfied with many interesting networks that I can leverage not just tactically, but to satisfy curiosity, world knowledge, trigger some side story content or alternate conversation points, and finding some data I can either sell or leverage for a new job completion path.

Yeah, the net isn't run on a bunch of closed loops. It's interconnected, which means that you shouldn't be limited in how you interact with it; it should go on nearly forever. Practically speaking, as long as it feels extensive, or maybe if you just have to unlock certain areas by hacking, or something like that, it should be implementable. Maybe netrunners are getting cracked down on, so it's really hard to move around the net, which limits the amount of area or whatever that CDPR have to design for it. I don't think you should go in as a person; I think it should be more abstract. Maybe it could be abstract enough to be procedurally generated based on your history on the net and some in-game-real-life events.

I don’t think a whole virtual world is necessary. Limited and interesting scenarios of varying sizes, sometimes interconnected with others, sometimes not. That’s quite enough. The ”real” world out there will certainly be boring enough to navigate through (in time) during the course of the game that there doesn’t really need to be a second one to double it down.

Voted for 1, as having a digital space to explore would be really interesting and would add a dimension to the game that other digital focused games (i.e. Watchdogs) currently lack. Would also be okay-ish if it were 2, but limiting hacking to a merely functional mechanic to supplement in game "real world" seems a bit underwhelming. Really opposed to 3.

I think a lot of players would want to invest time into the Net. I'd want that too.

So let's make a Santa letter for a minute : I believe this would be a good idea to make this part of the game appealing, with unique visuals (contrasting with the real world) and some kind of liberty to wander around, using some movement sets appropriate to a virtual design, having its own visual codes : kinda close to reality, with wall and path system, but every actor of the Net could look unnatural and have a special feature.
--> Let's say normal people could only "walk" and stick to paths, whereas Net Cops could fly and see through walls, and the best NetRunners or programs could get through everything and even have a temporary cloaking device or some stuff...

In short : make the Netrunning gameplay interesting so the players could wanna stay in the Net and try things !

Another reason why I prefer a virtual world over the other two options is because I'm fed up with minigames. Yet easier to set up, far less time-consuming in development, let's be honest we've played them all. Deus Ex, Skyrim, etc... they're kinda funny once in a while but they're set up for contextual uses. That means that they're always very limited in interaction. And I think it goes against the idea of "the Net" in the RPG.

(P.S. : I have a question, I dunno if I asked already (if so, please forgive me) : Do these polls help the creators making development choices, or are they only made for entertaining purposes ? If the former, I hope that we're going to hear some dev opinion on the polls and comments in the next months :giggle: pliiiiiz)

Personally I found Shadowrun's netrunning annoying.
Mostly it was about pattern recognition and timing, with the occasional "bullet" sponge grind (the net constructs) change of pace.
Rinse.
Repeat.

I want at least a wireframe world (no need for textures, think "Battlezone":
I think we can presume most "networks" in CP2077 will be local rather then world-wide so there's no need to create huge areas, think something the size of an office complex.

Last edited:
Personally I found Shadowrun's netrunning annoying.

If you mean the one in the semi-recent HBS games... I didn't, but I did found it to be uninteresting as it didn't really feel like netrunning, but just a regular battle scene with different colours.

I would hope for a completely different approach from CP. One where you don't control a virtual character, but navigate and operate through an actual interface.

I would hope for a completely different approach from CP. One where you don't control a virtual character, but navigate and operate through an actual interface.
Yeah I think something like this would be cool. FPP does seem to theoretically allow for navigating a virtual world without feeling as though you just walking through it as another "level."

If you mean the one in the semi-recent HBS games... I didn't, but I did found it to be uninteresting as it didn't really feel like netrunning, but just a regular battle scene with different colours.

Well, to be fair, that's kinda how decking is described in the Shadowrun core books and how it mechanically operates, so HBS hit it pretty spot-on.

Well, to be fair, that's kinda how decking is described in the Shadowrun core books and how it mechanically operates, so HBS hit it pretty spot-on.
True, but it still felt like more of a chore then anything remotely fun to me. Skyrim/Fallouts lockpicking minigame isn't remotely "fun" it's a chore you have to endure to play the games.

And, yes, the same can be said about by-the-book CP2020 netrunning.

Last edited:
1+2, i.e. virtual reality used very sparingly. It doesn't need to have full character control, FPP, Vs hands and UI cursor is an OK.
Johny Mnemonic movie style.

Voted for 1, as having a digital space to explore would be really interesting and would add a dimension to the game that other digital focused games (i.e. Watchdogs) currently lack. Would also be okay-ish if it were 2, but limiting hacking to a merely functional mechanic to supplement in game "real world" seems a bit underwhelming. Really opposed to 3.
Ditto.

Top Bottom